Just diagnosed at age 49 and have question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just diagnosed at age 49 and have question

Hello, I have lots to share, but want to start small.
    I was just diagnosed with MS (don't which type yet) by MRIs and LP. I start copaxone soon.
    I work a full time job and a part time job . Full time is desk job, and the part time is cashiering where I stand and bag and work register.
    My question: Do I keep doing the 2nd job despite the MS? My symptoms do interfere in that I'm not coordinated, have trouble walking, some back pain, lots of mental fog, lots of fatigue.
    The money and discount help, but do I wear myself down more making everything worse? Or should I work as much as I can to prepare for future?

Hello blschaar and welcome to MS world!

A great place to post questions like this.

I myself worked at a grocery store for years. Last June I ran into a wall. Still waiting for the cog fog to go away. I couldn't remember any produce codes( used to be the one that zipped them right out when people asked). I was a assistant manager and when I could read or act properly to emails or tasks I had to take a leave.

In my opinion If I was able to continue I would. Anything that makes life seem normal. Has not been for a long time. Many people here are able to continue life as if this was just a bump in the road. I wish that for you!!! But only you know how you feel. The fog and fatigue are really bad symptoms! They can certainly put a damper on things!

Good Luck with your decision! It is entirely up to you and how you feel you can manage!

Billy
    Leave the Heat and Stress for the birds!

Comment

If I were you, I would continue working if you are able to.

Overall, I felt sicker the first year than I have in subsequent years, so don't assume that you will only get worse from this point on. You may (and probably will) worsen later on, but many of us enjoy years of relatively stable functioning, making small allowances for symptoms in a private way.

You'll know when you need to cut back on your hours and/or let go of the second job.

Also, if others haven't mentioned this, be very thoughtful about disclosing your MS to people in your workplace. If you can keep it private, it is usually better to do so. You have the rest of your life to tell people! I've been diagnosed for 7 years and my workplace does not know.

Comment

One other thing which took me a while to figure out.

Physical stress/tiredness is not an MS trigger for everyone. I was/am a runner and after I was diagnosed, I was super cautious about exhausting myself with exercise, because I didn't want running to activate my disease. I cut way back.

But then it occurred to me that I had trained for and run marathons for more than 10 years and NOT gotten MS from that exertion. My MS trigger was a viral infection.

So, for me, physical/athletic exertion does not make me sicker or cause flares, though it can make my symptoms temporarily worse.

You'll have to figure all this out for yourself, just pay close attention to how you feel, do what you can, and cut out what makes you worse.

Comment

thanks

Thank you. I've been pushing myself hard for so many years, it's all I know. I remember feeling RELIEVED when I found out some symptoms were MS. I thought, "finally I can slow down...I'm so tired of pushing" What an awful thought, but that's how burned out I've been.
          Now I'm feeling guilty to slow down. I don't know how to take care of myself. I've been looking after others and trying to keep a single parent family together.
          I guess I'm looking for permission to slow down, but I don't want to make the decision myself. I've had to slow down before when I got pneumonia or something else. But now...this? I was raised to be strong and push through and never give up. But I feel like saying I've pushed enough. Can I just work one job and not feel guilty anymore.
          My daughter is on SSI for other issues, and she has encourage me to stay with the second job for the $ and discount...that's where the pressure comes from I guess? She means well, but she doesn't understand.

Comment

If you feel too pushed and feel like you are pushing yourself, then ask the management about taking time off, or quit that job and when you start to feel better, get another job like it. If you feel like you need to slow down, then slow down. You don't need permission. You are the one with MS. Do what you need to do. You said that you had more symptoms by the time you got to the second job. Don't torture yourself. Go home, take a nap. Let your kids know you need that time to rest. Then get up and cook dinner and be a Dad again. Be good to yourself, and your body will be better to you.

Take care
            Lisa
            Moderation Team
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by blschaar View Post
              Hello, I have lots to share, but want to start small.
              I was just diagnosed with MS (don't which type yet) by MRIs and LP. I start copaxone soon.
              I work a full time job and a part time job . Full time is desk job, and the part time is cashiering where I stand and bag and work register.
              My question: Do I keep doing the 2nd job despite the MS? My symptoms do interfere in that I'm not coordinated, have trouble walking, some back pain, lots of mental fog, lots of fatigue.
              The money and discount help, but do I wear myself down more making everything worse? Or should I work as much as I can to prepare for future?
              I hate to answer a question with a question, but, is the MS making the second job hard to do? Is there any kind of concession that your employer might make that would enable you to perform better?
              While it is very comforting knowing that you have insured your future, if the pro`s do not outweigh the cons, then it is not worth it (IMO).
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

You have to be good to yourself, so if it's too much, then stop. But if you can continue, there's no reason to stop.

Comment

Working...
                X