Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

Hello everyone. I was an ER/Trauma and ICU Registered Nurse for over 30+ years. I have 4 wonderful Grand-babies. They light me up and when I am with them my everything just fades away. I served my country for 3 years. Two of those years I spent in the jungle of Vietnam.

My MS is of a progressive type. In January 2013, I was diagnosed with Blood clots in both legs. Couple the clots and my MS together, caused a deconditioning of my body. Prior to January 2013, I was dancing 1-2 times a week.

I tried different MEDs, I could never tolerate those medications. I always felt like I had the flu. I always had a fever every single day.
    So in 2 years time span, I was diagnosed with, liver issues, Psoriatic Arthritis, Blood clots in both legs, Portal Hypertension, enlarged spleen, Lung issues and 4 days ago I was diagnosed Graves disease. On or about 3 months ago my hands and toes began with disfigurement, the pain was unrelenting. Couple that pain with MS , and I have the winning trifecta.
    I know that this may seem crazy to you, but I am done with meds. What little, if at all, benefits you may get from medication, are fleeting, and require a lifelong commitment of taking medications. There is the cost of medication, which can go over 2,000 in some cases.
    I don't know if anyone has fallen. I had 2 falls today. Last week I fell in the shower. I took the shower curtain and the rod with me. My legs and arms feel as if they are weighted.
    Since January I have fallen many, many times.
    My worst fear is to have a fall and remain there for days.
    I use a cane but my PCP would like to use an electric scooter. The hardest thing was losing my job. I really loved what I did.
    I loved to teach. it was an honor to have been chosen to teach new nurses how to be a great nurse. I was called, G-Pop, old man to name just the two. My daughter is an RN two. We did work together. Well that is enough for now, It was nice to meet all of you

Hi Jaws, and welcome to MS World! We are happy to have you and your experience! I am also an RN who worked in many ICUs. I too miss my job terribly. Seriously think about the scooter, it will help you with the falls, or you could just go up to a walker. I have both. Neither make me happy as I look like a 90 year old and I am in my early 40s. However, they keep me safe and I haven't fallen since I have been using them. If you ask your neurologist for a prescription, your insurance will pay for at least a portion of them.

I am happy you still have a connection to the hospital through your daughter...you can still keep up with the day to day gossip and goings on. My husband is a surgeon and I keep up through him. It is nice, of course after I got over me not being involved. You can use your skills here to help people.

I don't think its crazy you quit DMDs. Do what you can do, and what is best for you.

Take care and hope to see you around.

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Hi and welcome, I am new here as well.

I don't have any feedback really I just wanted to tell you thank-you for serving for us in the service as well as the medical field.

You seem to be a very courageous and brave woman and through this I hope you find some comfort and relief in your disease and complications.

Best of luck to you and again THANK-YOU for your service.
      Tira

Comment

Working...
      X