Looking for good housing under age 55

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for good housing under age 55

My amazing friend Tami (49) lives alone in Colorado with MS. She seeks to relocated to communal housing (small group home) of people under the age of 55. Loves the West Coast, and the Gulf shores of Texas and Alabama. If you know of any possibilities, please let me know. Thanks!

Most of the time it is illegal to discriminate based on age so it will probably be hard to find housing available only for those under age 55. The exception to the rule is for older adults - which is why some communities are allowed to advertise as only for those over 55. She should just avoid those places - they are clearly labeled so it shouldn't be hard.

If your friend is looking for a roommate or housemate situation she would likely be best served by looking at ads for a specific city or town, and it seems to me that would require a visit(s) in person. Or at least a friend or relative on the ground there doing some research for her.

There are also "intentional communities" (sometimes called "co-housing") which aren't usually group homes, but rather groups of individual homes whose residents have agreed to cooperate with each other on things like neighborhood maintenance, sometimes communal gardens, chores, sometimes meals. They usually have residents of all ages living there.

Comment

Ask your friend to consider keeping her options open.

I'm 52 and live in a "disabilty/retirement" building and its great. My neighbors are cool, we get together and do stuff when we feel like it but we don't get under each other's skin. Things also tend to stay clean and unbroken.

Its pretty quiet most of the time which is something I truely appreciate and I've also gotten to be friends with most of the neighbors.

Ask your friend to consider the other side of the coin with living in a "younger" building, would she rather hear an ambulance outside at 3 AM or a police car?

Comment

Ditto Bob; With disability living amoung young people can make your friend a target for theft~~they love to get into the medications she needs and take advantage of her. I'd choose retirement housing....I waited until 59, but I LOVE IT. They can and often do waive the age for the disabled. fed

Comment

Working...
        X