Hello, new here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, new here!

My MS story started out a little differently than most. My younger sister has progressive MS and was diagnosed three years ago at the age of 22. We found out about it when she spaced out while driving. She was in a car accident, and at the hospital they did an MRI to see if there was damage. Before we know it, they're asking her how she is treating her MS. Our response? "WHAT MS????"

I'm 28, and I've been a science teacher for seven years now, mostly Biology but with a few funny electives thrown in. I went back to graduate school in pursuit of my Master's degree in Biology. I spent my first two years of the program teaching full time, driving 15+ hours a week between work and school, taking 6 credits a semester, and learning everything I could about MS. I've written most of my graduate research papers on the topic, and I never pass up the opportunity to educate someone about multiple sclerosis...even my students!

Things had been a little off for a while, I was tired all the time, but I figured that was due to my schedule. I have a pronounced tremor in my right hand, but I attributed that to anxiety problems. My shoulders and neck were often in searing pain, but an ER doctor had diagnosed it as osteoarthritis in January. Finally, in April I had constant double vision, numbness up and down both arms and into my hands, dizziness, and most troubling (at least to me, a Type-A person who never stops and always runs at 200%)... complete and utter mental fog. I couldn't remember anything, and I was so slow my friends actually thought I was on Valium. I'm from NJ, so I talk fast, walk fast, think fast. Not any more.

Within a week I was on nine different prescription medications, seen by seven doctors, and seen at three hospitals. Finally, someone decided I'd better have an MRI. The results were "probable multiple sclerosis". I had so much trouble getting into a neuro until my sister's doctor saw that on paper. He booked me for an appointment that week. Looking at the MRI, he ordered scans with/without contrast of the brain and c-spine, as there were two "suspected lesions".

When I saw my own MRIs with contrast, there was no doubt in my mind it was MS. Large lesion, parietal lobe extending to the corpus callosum. Classic...and that was just the big one. In total, I'd gone from 2 lesions to SIX in the space of a month. He put me on Avonex straightaway, and that is where I am currently at. I missed two months of work, and was let go from my teaching job, despite being on disability. I'm hoping to start substituting soon if I am released to drive. Avonex is helping, but I'm still adjusting to the "new normal".

Hi sonicsweetie

welcome! You are oozing energy you made me tired just reading your schedule ...I hope you're able to get back into your active lifestyle, if your educational system is like ours substitute teachers work as much as they want.

come back often and share your experiences...take care!
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Hi and welcome! I was dx at 27..... that was 11 yrs ago. Lived in Jersey till I was 26. I was also a teacher (elementary). There is a lot of good info here and people who "get it" . Hopefully your sister will join MSworld also!
      dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Welcome! I also experienced kind of a "drop off of the cliff" diagnosis, and lost my job, etc. It definitely takes some time to adjust to the new normal.
        Diagnosed Aug. 2011 - Currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X