mother of recently diagnosed teen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mother of recently diagnosed teen

My daughter was recently diagnosed with MS and I plan on taking her to one of the six Pediatric MS Centers of Excellence posted by the National MS Society. I am looking for both a second opinion and trying to find someone that would be able to collaborate with her Pediatric Neurologist where we live. I am trying to decide between the one in Boston, MA and Birmingham, AL. Has anyone ever worked with either of these clinics?

Hi obgirl and welcome to MS World. I am sorry to hear about your daughter's diagnosis. I have not been to either of the places you asked about. There is also a Teen's section on the board so you might want to ask there as well. You may want to have your daughter join and go on the board their as well to talk with people her own age that have been diagnosed young. You can talk there as a mother too. The teens there are very helpful. I think it is good you are getting a second opinion.

Read about each doctor and their reviews, and then pick the one with the best resume and reviews.

Let us know how it goes, OK?

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Dear Obigirl

I am sorry to hear of your daughter's recent diagnosis, funny I am writing those words as for some reason whenever someone writes them to me, I want to scream from the rooftops...don't be sorry, we are so fortunate for THIS diagnosis vs so many other possibilities.

My 19 year old daughter was diagnosed with MS 1.5 weeks ago. We live in New Hampshire and BWH (Brigham & Women's) has an amazing MS Center. (partnersmscenter dot org) (The site won't let me post a URL as I am BRAND new) As a ten year resident of the Northeast, I've learned quickly that the best care in the world, is in the Northeast.

I too have so many questions and we are seeking a 2nd opinion at BWH but for the time being I am very comfortable with my daughter's local pediatrician and neurologist. She was in the hospital for 4 days, completed a 4 day IV treatment of Solumedrol and an oral taper. She did the Gilenya trial (6 hours in patient) on Monday and is now on the daily oral dose.

Best of luck to you and your family and if you head to the Northeast, feel free to reach out to me.
      M

**Email address removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

Working...
      X