Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you forgotten what life was like without MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will never forget my pre-MS years. Even with MS (diagnosed in my 30s) until about 45...everything was pretty good...actually exceptional.

Although, I can no longer run or dance or do many things others are doing, I am grateful that I did when I did, because I could not do it now.

If you want to do something...don't wait until your "Golden Years" like most people do...do it when you can, because you never know what is around the corner.
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by misslux View Post
      Yes, being able to walk unaided is definitely a distant memory.
      It's sad and even sadder that it will get worse.
      Without hope there's nothing.

Comment

I try not to think about it, until you are confronted with things you just cannot do, things that once you could have done blindfolded, with one arm tied behind your back, rhetorically speaking.

There are more and more of these undoables, but then sometimes you can do things you thought were impossible. These are your Incredible Hulk moments, when for instance someone in your family or a friend badly needs you.

Adrenaline mixed with not having any time to worry about yourself.

Which makes it even more important for us to stay part of this world, this life, in any way we can. MS is such an isolating disease, because a) you're only too aware of your limitations; and b) so are other people.

Comment

I am getting to the point where my memories are of my losses. I will NOT give up the HOPE that my life will be given back to me. I keep on praying ! Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
            I try not to think about it, until you are confronted with things you just cannot do, things that once you could have done blindfolded, with one arm tied behind your back, rhetorically speaking.

There are more and more of these undoables, but then sometimes you can do things you thought were impossible. These are your Incredible Hulk moments, when for instance someone in your family or a friend badly needs you.

Adrenaline mixed with not having any time to worry about yourself.

Which makes it even more important for us to stay part of this world, this life, in any way we can. MS is such an isolating disease, because a) you're only too aware of your limitations; and b) so are other people.
            The undoables far outweigh the doables.That's the life of an MSer.

Comment

can't forget

i have not forgotten. i think about it every day. i wish i could forget. remembering walking in the woods, driving a car, going to work every day, not being in so much need of assistance, not being in "discomfort," is very painful.
              life is uncertain,
              eat dessert first!

Comment

nope

I haven't forgotten. I just try not to think of it very much. It's getting easier to do all the time.

Comment

I will never forget pre MS life but compared to when I was diagnosed in 2005, as well as the next couple of years, things have improved greatly. Just as with my pre MS life, I won't ever forget those years, they were a living nightmare.

I used to have to use TransHelp (wheelchair bus) but now I can take the "big girl bus" (regular transit) for example. I won't ever drive again due to MS so I make lame comparisons between now and the time when first diagnosed, rather than comparing before and after MS. That's too painful.

Jen
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Am I forgetting how it was before MS?

It's frustrating to want to do things my body won't do, and I have nice dreams about dancing (ballet dancing), riding bicycles, yoga classes, totally MS-free. In waking hours I don't think about it much, because I'm doing what I can do, which takes some planning. I try not to think about it, in fact, because it worries me a lot, and what good does that do? While this is all going on, all of us are getting older (I'm 70 in another year, diagnosed only 10 years ago.) Now I can enjoy my grandkids, watch them growing up active and healthy, and thank everyone who supports me. I'm lucky in many ways.

Comment

YES I CAN RELATE

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                      I can remember the past vividly.I have been diagnosed since 2000 but I have had MS since 1990 or so. Now everything is just a memory, a good one too. Oh how I long for those days!
                      HI HUNTERED,I ALSO AVE OLD MEMORIES.
                      LIKE WHEN I USED TO HUNT AND FISH,I ALSO AS INVOLED IN SHOOTING SPORTS LIKE SKEET,TRAP,SPORTING CLAYS AND COWBOY ACTION.
                      BOY I WISH THOSE DAYS HERE BACK!
                      GOOD LUCK IN YOUR FIGHT AGAINST THIS MONSTER,AS I WILL FIGHT AS WELL.
                      DX 1999 SPMS

Comment

The Past

I too often catch myself starting to say "I wish I could still . . ." Then I stop and work at, even very hard force myself to do things with whatever aids help me do it . When the music comes on I dance in my seat .

Where there's a will . . . Even if it hurts!

Make the best of what you've got,
                        Maris

Comment

Not what I was, but...

I don't actively think about it...there are definitely moments of 'I used to'. Coming accross this thread brought memories that are normally pushed deep down so that I can move forward with my head up.

I too have become a 'dance in my seat' person!! Always loved to dance - now not in public. Walking was one of my favorite things to do w/friends....now there are frequent pit stops and a 3rd leg on my jaunts (cane). Realizing it could be worse helps keep my afloat. That and an awesome spouse!!!

I am my pre-MS self in dreams and do what I can to hold that person close in spirit. Concentrating on what was or could have been is a slippery slope to be avoided or a pity party shows up uninvited.

Hang in there everyone! Be the best you can be with the 'new' you!

Comment

With every passing day normalcy is becoming a distant memory.

Comment

Yes

I am 45 and have had MS for 22 so nearly half of my life has been with MS. What is sad is I am starting to forget life without MS at times. And what is even worse is I remember 20 years ago thinking that at the rate science goes this think will be cured in no time. While we have new treatments (thank God) we still have no cure. And as I age and hear of new possible treatments I also know enough to realize that a new drug can take up to 10 years to get through all the drug trial testing phases. So a new drug entering testing today could be available for me maybe by the time I am 55....sorry, I digress.

Comment

I with I could forget

My mind seems like the one area that keeps going. MS is a disease that keeps giving and giving. I know it does my no good to dwell on the past, but as my life has gotten smaller and smaller, it's hard not to be reminded of your old self.

Comment

Working...
                                X