Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you forgotten what life was like without MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you forgotten what life was like without MS?

I've had MS for about 18 years and my pre-MS life is becoming a distant memory.
    Without hope there's nothing.

I've only been diagnosed for three years, but I have continuing problems with walking, and I've finally realized that "walking the dogs" is out of the question. Now I "walk" my dogs with my new mobility scooter. However, after having clocked at least 50,000 miles in the past 30+ years, I figure I'm due a ride!

Now I watch TV shows and am in wonderment that people are able to do what they do! Dancing with the Stars is amazing to me. I have no memory of being able to move like that. I've really come to appreciate the human body.

Comment

Yes!

And when I meet someone new, I think, "I wasn't always like this."

Comment

Yes, being able to walk unaided is definitely a distant memory.

Comment

I can remember the past vividly.I have been diagnosed since 2000 but I have had MS since 1990 or so. Now everything is just a memory, a good one too. Oh how I long for those days!
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

After 24+ years, I haven't forgotten and that's what hurts the most. It's like I remember on a cellular memory and sometime I think I can just stand up and move or walk like always before, or I think I can do something as simple as carry a plate of food to the table without dropping or spilling the whole thing on the floor. But the body says "You've got to be kidding??"

Still with that memory, I am thankful for doing all I could when I could. Oh, but how I took it all for granted!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I've had the same thoughts and observations. I was diagnosed in 1989 but it's been the last 5-7 yrs that I've gone downhill.

When people walk by at a quick pace I look at dh and lament "remember when we used to walk together like that?"
              Karen

Comment

18 here also

Originally posted by ms man View Post
                I've had MS for about 18 years and my pre-MS life is becoming a distant memory.
                I do remember though and miss the ability to do things that are important to me. I have had to learn to say no and that has been hard.

Diane
                You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

MS just sucks.

Comment

My simple answer is 'Hell, yes'. Pre- MS life is a memory. It is my hope and prayer to regain my life. i wish that for the rest of you, as well. One can always hope ! Good luck

Comment

I'm forgetting my pre-MS life. Losing the even the memory of it makes me sad, like abadoning any hope of returning.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                        After 24+ years, I haven't forgotten and that's what hurts the most. It's like I remember on a cellular memory and sometime I think I can just stand up and move or walk like always before, or I think I can do something as simple as carry a plate of food to the table without dropping or spilling the whole thing on the floor. But the body says "You've got to be kidding??"

Still with that memory, I am thankful for doing all I could when I could. Oh, but how I took it all for granted!
                        well said miss seasha,

I was thinking yes I do remember and that's the biggest problem with accepting my new normal.

I was so active, worked so much, drove my kids from here to tim-buck-to and never thought it would end.

I had lots of fun and a great life I just never thought it would end so early in life.

I still think from time to time that I can do it, I can do it then the body says I just don't think so girl.

Good Luck to us all!!!
                        DIAGNOSED=2012
                        ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                        REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

I miss my old self terribly and think how much better of a parent I would be if I could do things with my kids
                          dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Keep those memories close...

I have not forgotten at all. I was strong, had great dance moves...good at golf and bowling. When I think about what I would be like if I did not have MS, it makes me sad. I have severe MS and first symptoms showed up around age of 40...12 years ago. I think the 50's are the best years of your life...if your healthy. So much lost...so much potential and possibility and active living...stolen.

How can anyone forget what they were like pre-MS? I don't think I ever could or will. Thankfully I had 40+ years to realize my goals and dreams...to dance, to make love passionately, compete aggressively...for this I am lucky. As painful as it is to remember what I was able to do and can no longer...what I would have been able to become...I would never want to forget.

Comment

I mean, I haven't technically forgotten. I know what I used to be able to do and know how strong I was, but it feels almost like that was someone else.

Occassionally I wake up and think I'm able bodied until I take that first step and my leg doesn't go up/foot drags and I trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X