Six month MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six month MRI

I am on my way to the airport headed for Singapore to get an MRI in the morning before I see my doctor on Monday morning. I have been on Rebif for six months after a bad attack in February led to my MS diagnosis.

I had three new, minor symptoms that lasted for three weeks and then went away. So the neurologist thought we should do an MRI to see if there were any changes and if maybe I needed to try a different DMD.

I am feeling what is the point? From what I read MRI's don't tell us a lot and I have been feeling really good lately, except for my numb tongue. If my results come back with more lesions it will stress me out and cause me to worry even though right now I am feeling better than I have since my diagnosis. I am hoping for unchanged and maybe that will give me some relief from the anxiety I feel not knowing what is happening in my brain.

I am 7 months post diagnosis, does it every get to where it doesn't consume all your thoughts or where things like your hands falling asleep form an awkward position don't cause sheer panic?

Originally posted by MSwhileOverseas View Post
    I am feeling what is the point? From what I read MRI's don't tell us a lot and I have been feeling really good lately, except for my numb tongue. If my results come back with more lesions it will stress me out and cause me to worry even though right now I am feeling better than I have since my diagnosis. I am hoping for unchanged and maybe that will give me some relief from the anxiety I feel not knowing what is happening in my brain.
    Hey MSwhileOverseas, I just had a thought that might be helpful (take it or leave it). How 'bout you treat your lesion load like the sex of a fetus you don't want to know about?

Be clear with the doctor at the beginning of your appointment that if the doctor sees something that requires a change in treatment, they can let you know that, but only giving you as many details as you ask for. Otherwise, you don't want to know what's going on with your MRI, because you're happy just to know what's going on with your perceptible symptoms, thank you very much.

As long as you trust your doctor, this seems alright to me.

If your doctor does let it slip anyway, or if you just decide you want to know, don't freak out! Remember, unless we're talking about whether to switch/continue DMDs, it's not about the number or size of the lesions. What's important is how you're able to live your life.

Let's just hope we can all keep the anxiety down enough to take advantage of what we're still able to do!

Comment

I think the point is really to try to get an idea if your current DMD is working or if another would be more effective. I have one coming up and am hoping for no new lesions. Shrinkage of some would be nice too- it's getting a bit crowded in there

As far as getting to a point where it's not on your mind all the time- I am not quite there yet but I think it is possible. I hope you find your MRI improved and maybe a little peace until the next one

Comment

I know that you feel like 'What's the use of knowing anything more about the disease ?' But look at it from your doctors point of view. She/he needs current information to assist in treatment. You need to have a 'baseline' and there could be changes that could mean something to affect your treatment. Good luck

Comment

MSwhileoverseas

I'm 5 years in since DX and I no longer think about "it" all the time.

When first diagnosed, I would wake in the middle of the night and MS would be my first thought. I constantly chewed it over trying to get used to it, I suppose. I would check to see if everything worked.

Now it occurs to me a couple of times during the day (it's too hot outside, or I should cool down for a few minutes after exercise, that sort of thing as I adjust to my environment), but no, it does not consume all my thoughts.

I'm comfortable with it now. It is what it is.

PS. My neuro says no MRI unless we have a reason (new symptoms, flares, my condition declines) or if I want to switch therapies (and no, I'm not switching). She says she doesn't treat the MRI, she treats the patient, or words something along those lines.

Copaxone since 9/08
          LDN
          Vegan
          Gluten-Free

Best of luck

Comment

Hi,

Well here's hoping all is stable.

I don't know what the MRI techs do over there, but here in the US, at least at the MRI facilities I've been to, they ask you before the MRI if you're having any new symptoms.

I think that gives them an idea where to look closer...so I would definitely mention the numbness in your tongue if that is a new symptom.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the support. This forum has helped me so much. Living on the other side of the world practically on the equator I have not met anyone with MS since it is so rare here. Getting input from people who truly understand means a lot.

I had my MRI yesterday morning and wasn't bad. We just did a scan of the brain since the last MRI was normal for the c-spin and the new symptoms, tongue numb and left face numb a month ago were all in my head. They played spa music and I think I may have fallen asleep as it seemed to be over really fast.

I have my follow up tomorrow morning with my neuro and I will let you all know how it goes. Until then I am going to enjoy the fresh air, clean streets and maybe a little shopping here in Singapore

Comment

Good news

I am still waiting on the final report to know for sure if I have any new lesions but there were no active lesions and during a five minute glance with the doctor two of my larger lesions appeared significantly smaller. Hopefully now I can relax a little bit and not have so much anxiety.

Thanks again for all the support

Comment

Working...
                X