Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and employer's health coverage

Hi,

I am considering getting on my employers health plan. Right now I have a individual health plan outside of work.

I know legally they can't fire me because I have MS but has anyone ever had problems and/or gotten fired because the employer didn't want you on their health plan because of the expense of MS?

I'm sure there have been instances where an employer will make an excuse and say that you aren't getting fired because of MS but of some other lousy lame excuse.

Any thoughts?

My SO used to work in group benefits. So here are his thoughts:

Legally, your health condition cannot be disclosed to your employer, but to the insurance company directly. The insurance company cannot disclose anyone's health information BUT if the group is large enough and if the claim is over a certain amount (law varies by state, in VA it was over 100 employees and over $10,000 per single claim), they can see the types of claims that were made, but not who made them.

Now, if there are only five employees, they'll know who caused their premiums to go up. If there are for example, 50 employees, they aren't really going to know.

Putting you on a plan might not even increase the premiums depending on how many people are on the plan already.

Good luck!

Comment

I know legally they can't fire me because I have MS but has anyone ever had problems and/or gotten fired because the employer didn't want you on their health plan because of the expense of MS?

It's illegal to fire an employee for any medical condition that increases the cost of the group health plan, therefore that is NEVER going to be listed as a reason for termination of employment on the termination form.

Anyone who has experienced becoming a target for termination based on expensive medical costs, and/or ADA and/or FMLA accomodation, etc., can only speculate when the tables turned. It doesn't take a lot to build a case against an employee once they have been targeted.

Comment

Working...
      X