Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will MS affect my chances of gaining employment as a RN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will MS affect my chances of gaining employment as a RN?

I'm 23 and was recently diagnosed with MS. I am currently in nursing school to obtain my RN. Becoming a nurse is my dream but now I'm worried that my diagnosis will prevent me from being able to gain employment. If anyone who is a RN could share their experience with this I would greatly appreciate it!
    Dx RR August 2013
    DMD Betaseron
    Nursing Student (RN)
    Mother to 1 year old

Thankfully my MS isn't noticeable so I have never had a problem getting work.

The only place I disclose is to Employee Health during my physical exam AFTER I have received my written offer. I don't tell my manager, my peers or anyone else and have no plans to tell anyone until it gets to the point where MS forces me to disclose.

Best of luck with school!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

You don't have to tell them that you have MS before you are hired. You just have to tell them whether or not you can perform the job. Here's some info from an NMSS brochure:
      Employers that fall under ADA guidelines are allowed to
      ask potential employees to demonstrate how they would
      perform an essential job function during the interview stage
      (e.g. show or describe how they would lift 50 pounds).
      But they are generally prohibited from conducting medical
      examinations or asking disability-related questions.

If the employer makes a job offer, they may then require the
      employee to answer medical questions and/or take a medical
      exam as long as they are asking for the same information
      from all persons offered the same position. They may also
      make the job offer contingent upon the results of the medical
      information/exam. However; if they withdraw the job offer
      due to the disability-related information that was obtained,
      they must show the decision was job-related, due to current,
      specific impairment, and that reasonable accommodation
      was not possible.

--Greg
      RRMS since July 2010.

Comment

I agree with Jules...

I haven't spoken a word to my employer about my diagnosis. My job performance has not been affected as of yet (fingers, legs, toes and eyes crossed!) so for me mums the word. I can still start lines (IV), push meds and run with the rest of the nurses. Some days are good days and some not so much, but as I tell my children..."Keep Laughing!"

Comment

Thanks! I'm just worried because of my fatigue, and my ms the pain I have in my legs so I'm hoping I will be able to handle 12 hour shifts but I haven't started treatment yet so I may not have these issues as much once I do. But I have been prescribed Ritalin for fatigue so if I have to do a Pre employment drug screen would I have to disclose why I have to take Ritalin?
          Dx RR August 2013
          DMD Betaseron
          Nursing Student (RN)
          Mother to 1 year old

Comment

Yes you will need to disclose the Ritalin and any medications you are taking during the pre-employment physical or else you risk being fired. Everyone should be drug tested but since you are prescribed Ritalin it will not be an issue.

There are many other options for RNs than just 12h shifts. Remember you will need to be able to do the job you apply for so keep that in mind as you consider what positions you want to apply for.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Hlawman View Post
              Thanks! I'm just worried because of my fatigue, and my ms the pain I have in my legs so I'm hoping I will be able to handle 12 hour shifts but I haven't started treatment yet so I may not have these issues as much once I do. But I have been prescribed Ritalin for fatigue so if I have to do a Pre employment drug screen would I have to disclose why I have to take Ritalin?
              May I ask what treatments are you starting? Because if you're referring to the DMD's, they won't make your fatigue/pain symptoms better. Some of them actually might cause more fatigue.

Comment

Tanya,
                I am on Betaseron. I have two more weeks before I get up to the full dose. I know it will not reverse the damage that has been done and I will continue to have these symptoms but I was told once I am stabilized on the full dose I may have some improvement with these symptoms. But so far, like you said, I have noticed more fatigue. I called my neuro yesterday and left a message with the nurse regarding this and she was going to talk to my doctor to see if he could give something different for fatigue. As a first year nursing student, I definitely can't afford to be tired all time.
                Dx RR August 2013
                DMD Betaseron
                Nursing Student (RN)
                Mother to 1 year old

Comment

Originally posted by Carriekickass View Post
                  I haven't spoken a word to my employer about my diagnosis. My job performance has not been affected as of yet (fingers, legs, toes and eyes crossed!) so for me mums the word. I can still start lines (IV), push meds and run with the rest of the nurses. Some days are good days and some not so much, but as I tell my children..."Keep Laughing!"
                  The dx of MS is not itself considered a disability. That's what I learned when applying for SSDI. It is the sxs of MS that do not enable you to work or function daily tasks. I would consult w/ your neuro about work and your abilities.

I worked in the same job 12 yrs w/ dx of RRMS. I did not disclose until I was seen w/ trouble walking and not wanting to grocery shop for work.

DX 95 w/ RRMS, on Gilenya for 2 yrs, SSDI four yrs ago

Comment

It is now suspect that I've had M.S. since the age of 9/10; I was confined to bed for over 3 mos with a MYSTERIOUS DISEASE, at that time.

I've really had to push myself, my entire life, after that.

I worked 2 jobs and often 3, including teaching at the college. By the age of 38, I had an injury I couldn't seem to get past. Having worked and saved--going back to work as half of what I was, was not for me. As, I continued getting worse.

If I had Known I had M.S.; working one job and learning to pace myself would have been a much better option.
                    Plus now, they aren't ALLOWED to have 22 patients a shift or 5 critical patients in the ER, recovery room etc, at one time.

The pace in those departments (now visiting as a patient) makes me believe, the POLITICS of a hospital is far worse than the work of an M.S. person, IF you pace yourself AND take good care of yourself, PLAN to do well.

A hospital environment is not a safe place to disclose to co-workers if your disease. There is an influx of nurse's and others. And private hospitals are famous for finding ways to "budget" and replace working folks with others for less pay, Regardless of your health, even if it is against the law.

Not all do it, but they do have ways to make you work more call hours, etc. or less preferable days off, etc and make you miserable. AND that is for healthy people!

I had a supervisor that hounded me to dismiss someone that it APPEARED she didn't like, it was one of my best workers. I couldn't...I transferred to another job. She had to do it herself and to this day..POLITICS of a hospital suck!

not only is the physical work taxing, the mental work is just as bad. Constant cut-backs and firing of non-LVN workers and now; well, my HMO only hires R.N's with EXPERIENCE And a 4 year degree. And no help, they do everything you need from breakfast to IV's.

I enjoyed it and went into a deep depression when I couldn't do it anymore! If I had known I had M.S.; certainly I would have done things much differently and not worn my body out so quickly.

It can be a very rewarding career or a very unhappy one. Unhappy people become sick workers. Make sure you know you will love the work, you have less time for trial and error to find the work you'll love. But, a very large hospital will have more choices for you to find work not so taxing.

Teaching and Cardiac Rehab were two areas I found rather easy.

for whatever you decide. fed

Comment

Working...
                    X