Trying to maintain sense of humor: medium success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all for the honesty

Seriously, no one else will tell me to seriously think before having/raising a child.

I think it is the fact that at the moment, I look/feel/act mostly entirely healthy, and therefore people assume that I'm fine.

The realization that I cannot have a baby (like a small, infant person) came a couple of months ago when I went to visit my friend and her new (omg adorable) baby and didn't want to hold him because my right arm wasn't working and dropping babies: not ok.

I could today, but I could NOT have held a baby responsibly in May, even though I looked fine and everyone (no one knew about my diagnosis then) thought I was just being weird.

But my whole career trajectory, which I hope continues for a long time, consists of working with "at risk" (a terrible term, but it is what it is) youth.... so there's that.

I just know that I would make a better foster/adoptive parent to a teenager (potential physical disability aside) than many, and the fact that even that is probably a bad idea makes me more sad than any other implication of the diagnosis. Sad enough to moronically wish that I had accidentally gotten pregnant back when I was 20 and still imagined I was straight. But that's just ridiculous, and more than a little selfish.

Glad this space exists for me to rant and get reasoned, reasonable responses.

On a funny note, because ending otherwise is not in my nature: copaxone's new trick is the super-itchy bruise. I now walk around an inanely prestigious law school trying to sneakily scratch my rear end all day. I think people might be noticing. I care minimally.

Comment

I don't think that it is fair to be single and adopt any child with the realization that you may not be able to physically care for him or her.
      First you have the child, and h/she bonds with you, and then what happens if you can no longer care for h/her.
      H/she has to be placed in another family.
      If you have a large income, then maybe it would work if you could hire in assistance.

Comment

Hmarie47- right up my alley

You are a hoot!

Love your attitude!

You will no doubt survive and help others!

Ecig's are the bomb! I know healthcare providers will not advocate but let me tell you, I've personally witnessed no less than 8 people kick the tobacco habit by using ecigs. Started with blu but moved on to Joytech products...they are still "smoke" free, vaping and loving life. Two have actually kicked it all, no vaping anymore either. But, especially with a weakened immune system, the sooner you throw the smags in the can, the better.

May I ask why you opted for injectibles vs oral meds? I'm new to this site as my 19 year old was just dx. We didn't even discuss injectables, doc recommended Gilenya right off the bat and who were we to argue. My daughter taking a pill like 90% of people out there...vitamins, etc...seems the easiest solution. But really, I'm curious why the needle route vs the pill. Are there benefits?

Keep posting, I'll be following your threads. Love your sense of humor, life throws curve balls all the time, keeping your head in the game is key to winning.

Comment

Hey, sorry this reply was soooo overdue.

I went with the copaxone because I am more scared of medications than disease at this point, and it is a. old and b. has the fewest side effects/does not suppress the immune system to the extent that all the other medications seem to (I'm not an expert; this is what the internet / my unhelpful neuro told me).

The oral meds were too new; my neuro pushed me to take them and I will wait until I see how many people they kill/don't kill in the next few years before I decide.

Also I have insane stomach problems (unrelated to MS) and always have bad side effects from most things I put in my mouth (including a lot of food!) so honestly, I'd rather stick a needle in my arm than take anything by swallowing it--less chance of my life being screwed up by my intestines.

But then again, I am the kind of weirdo who likes to watch my own blood be drawn and will play with the IV thing while in an MRI because I am bored and it annoys the nurses. I also get a sick pleasure out of being able to manually inject the backs of my own arms/hips and it makes me feel better that the injections hurt--it's like I'm trying harder, or something.

Basically, my understanding is that none of the DMDs are especially fabulous, and since copaxone seemed the safest/most entertaining to be on, I went that route. That could change in a year though, who knows.

Comment

Working...
          X