No announcement yet.

Fear of a wheelchair ...then I was in one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was utterly TERRIFIED I would end up full-time wheel chair bound before anyone figured out what my problem was. I had canes, and walkers, & even a scooter, but a WHEEL CHAIR? Somehow that was very different.

My fam Doc decided it was time for a power chair when I was Dx'd with MS. I did not argue with him, I knew it would happen, just a matter of time. They delivered the new power chair on a Wed, but I did not sit in it till Sat morning. I nearly broke down in tears at just the idea that my doc thought it was time.

Over time I quickly learned that the new chair was NOT a prison, that it was a TOOL that instead of trapping me, allowed me to do more, instead of less. The P/T that came to my home to do the evaluation, asked me just as she was leaving, do you NEED it tomorrow? NO! I replied.
    What I learned from the P/T was I was over using my legs and making things worse. So out the window went the use it or loose it.

I am a part-time chair user and use it every day part of the time. I have learned that by using a chair part-time I can walk a little better and more than before. I can only be on my legs so long at a time before they turn into GUMBY STIX....ha ha.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Sorry to hear you are having more problems but kudo's for being honest and brave. I think we need to be advocates to help people understand that be it a cane or a pair of glasses or a hearing Aid, they are just devices to help us deal with a disability so really, what is the difference? But I have to be honest about feeling stupid when I can't remember if I run into someone who looks familiar if it is because I saw them yesterday or met them two weeks ago. I hate that!!! Is there an assist ice device for THAT?!?!?

Comment

Working...
      X