Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urgent: UTI won't go away after almost 2 weeks--please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

part 2

...I hope these post in the right order.

Anyway, so i have heard nothing.

even if she ended up hospitalized after her neuro appt, I would hope her husband would've sent me word.

I am completely baffled....

Annie
    Disabled RN, Cardiac Intensive Care
    Dx'd 11/03/2005, Sx's for 15+ years prior
    STOPPED DM's 10/15/2010, last one, Tysabri

Don't ask for a better life, ask to be a stronger person!

Comment

Totally feel your pain!

This post isn't new so I don't know the outcome. I have a terrible UTI also. I went to my GP on Friday and the urine sample showed large amt of blood and bacteria. My doc put me on 100mg Macrobid 2X a day. It does make me sleepy; that is a side effect.

Normally I haven't any problem urinating, but I know from past experience when you have a UTI you have urgency but not much to show for it when you go

I didn't see any blood in my urine, though many years ago I had large clots in my urine; scared me to say the least. I had tests which didn't reveal much and the UTI cleared up quickly on Sulfa Drug (which I now cannot take).

These UTI's are so common our docs see them all the time so it sometimes takes time to get to the bottom of it.

I have too many red & white bloodcells in my urine sample for them to count. Seems like an epic battle going on.

MS causes confusion in our immune response so that may be why there is such a high white and red blood cell count.

Hope you are better and we get a response to let us know how you are doing.

BTW: The ER scares me too. I use it when I'm desperate, but always a long wait and it's tough to explain all my meds and such. I prefer to go to a doctor who knows me.

Best Wishes, Diane
      You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

in hospital for 7 days. thank you so much for caring.

Hi everyone,

I have been out of the hospital since Sept. 4--went in Aug. 29.

I have been so tired and weak I have not been able to post, or write back Brothrgoose.

We drove to Colorado to see my neurologist and it was not the P.A. this time, and my neurologist had me pre-admitted to the hospital.

I still had the UTI. They put me on IV antibiotics (Ancef) and they had me on morphine for the pain. It is all very fuzzy, and my husband had to go back to get Ellie after the first night, so I was by myself. I did not want Ellie to see my like that, so he came when he could.

They did a cystoscopy with me under anesthesia and dilated my bladder because it was almost shut???

And that was good because after the cystoscopy I could pee real pees.

Then things started to go downhill. After the cystoscopy and the IV antibiotics they wanted to release me. The "hospitalist" doctor took me off morphine and the IV antibiotics and said all that was left was an MRI. (The first days the neurologist on call had come and ordered an MRI of the brain and C-spine).

But once I got off the morphine I realized I was still in pain, but it was different pain--it had moved to just below my ribs and was this relentless awful clenching that radiated down my belly and back into my legs and feet???

It made me rock and cry just like the stabbing knife bladder pain did. I could not stay still for the MRI. The nurse said she would give me a shot of something called Fentanyl for the MRI if I would take the Bentyl. I had refused the Bentyl and she said she could not ask the hospitalist for further pain relief unless I took the Bentyl. So I took the Bentyl and then they gave me the Fentanyl and I slept through the MRI.

The next day the hospitalist came to see me and said that since my MRI from last year I had 3 new lesions in my temporal lobe and two were active. He said to follow up with my neurologist and now his diagnosis was "an MS relapse" with the "UTI as an inciting event."

I was still in so much pain when I left the hospital. I had smuggled in some Percocet in my purse and I took it because Ellie and my husband were driving all the way to Colorado to get me.

The Percocet made me able to take a shower and pack and when Ellie and my husband got there I could smile and hug them.

My husband and I went through the discharge papers and I was given a follow-up appointment with my neurologist for September 24th. I was also prescribed Belladonna opiate, Levcin, Pyrideum and Ditropan for my bladder. I was still prescribed Bentyl. For pain, I was prescribed Neurontin, which I had never taken.

So I guess that is the end of the bladder story, but it's not the end of the ME IN TROUBLE story. I so wish it were

Brothrgoose, thank you so much for writing my husband. He showed me your first emails when I was in the hospital but then I was so sick I could not follow up. I am still sick, but I promise I will when I can.

And the rest of you, thank you so much for caring and writing and thinking of me. And Katieagain, thank you for your offer of help with the job business. When I get better--though there are moments when I start to worry I won't--I will very much need your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Emily74 View Post
          Hi everyone,

My name is Emily. I did a post in the introduction thread a few months ago but I have not been able to be back on the Board since.

I am sorry to bother you out of the blue, but I need help!

My PCP diagnosed me with a urinary tract infection on Wed. July 31. He prescribed 5 days of Cipro and a drug to help me with urinary pain.

I have been having trouble with urinary urgency and hesitancy for a few months. It’s hard to pee all the way, to be blunt. So I did not know I had an infection until July 31 when I had a fever and went in to see my PCP.

I finished my Cipro on Sunday, August 4, but I still was having trouble peeing, I still had a low-grade fever (about 99.5-100), and my MS symptoms were still exacerbated.

Monday August 5 I felt terrible. My fever was 101 and I was having a terrible time peeing. I also felt nauseated and had diarrhea and back pain. I went back to see my PCP and he tested my urine again and prescribed 7 days of Macrobid and more of the pee pain drug. He had the urine cultured and when I called his nurse said there was “no growth” and to keep taking the Macrobid and I would be fine.

It’s now Saturday August 10. I have been taking my Macrobid and tomorrow is the last day. I still feel bad, though. I still have a low-grade fever every day, and I’m still nauseated, and it’s still hard to pee. I ran out of the prescribed pee drug so I got an OTC one and it helps. I called my PCP’s office yesterday and talked to the nurse again and she said to finish the Macrobid but if over the weekend my fever spiked or I started vomiting or I couldn’t pee at all I should go to the ER.

None of this stuff is happening, but I’m still sick and uncomfortable and I am getting really worried. This seems to be going on too long. I live in a small town/rural area, and my neurologist is 2 hours away.

How worried should I be? Do you know why this might be happening? And do you have any advice about what I should do next? Having MS is hard enough but with the ongoing UTI and the antibiotics I’m getting really fatigued and stiff.

If you can help, please write me back! I want to get better! And I hate being this worried!

Thank you so much, Emily
          I had a very similar scare awhile back , turns out my vitamin D levels were waaay low, i tried this product called Advanced D cuz i saw a thing where i could get a free sample and been good ever since, heres the site thats giving away the freebies, ***
          hope this helps , i know it brought me back from my slump
          Rachel

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

Working...
          X