Am I drunk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I drunk?

I have never been a big drinker. I never liked not being in complete control. Even though no one's accusing me of being drunk lately it feels like I am constantly trying to prove I am not "drunk".

Between all the doctor visits that feel like a roadside sobriety test where I am asked to walk a straight line, follow his pen with my eyes and touch his finger and then my nose, and sometimes struggling to make a coherent sentence or walk without loosing my balance, it seems I am in a constant state of "drunkenness" and I have no control!

I can't even tell a joke because I can't control my laughing enough to tell the punch line! Gone are the days of keeping a straight face or never letting people see me cry cuz I can't control that either.

I am only 6 months into my MS journey and still trying to figure it all out but I am slowly starting to laugh more than I cry. At least my new "drunken" like state provides lots of laughs because what else can I do but laugh.

I woke up this morning feeling quite similar! It has its days!

Keep up your great attitude because that's all we can do!
    Leave the Heat and Stress for the birds!

Comment

I am happy to hear that you have such a positive take on this miserable disease. I hope you can keep it up. I agree with you that there isn't a whole lot you can do but lpaugh it off. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by MSwhileOverseas View Post
        I have never been a big drinker. I never liked not being in complete control. Even though no one's accusing me of being drunk lately it feels like I am constantly trying to prove I am not "drunk".

Between all the doctor visits that feel like a roadside sobriety test where I am asked to walk a straight line, follow his pen with my eyes and touch his finger and then my nose, and sometimes struggling to make a coherent sentence or walk without loosing my balance, it seems I am in a constant state of "drunkenness" and I have no control!

I can't even tell a joke because I can't control my laughing enough to tell the punch line! Gone are the days of keeping a straight face or never letting people see me cry cuz I can't control that either.

I am only 6 months into my MS journey and still trying to figure it all out but I am slowly starting to laugh more than I cry. At least my new "drunken" like state provides lots of laughs because what else can I do but laugh.
        WELCOME TO MS WORLD!!! we are happy you are here, but sorry why. I remember the days of walking like a weeble. I was a beer salesman, so I can just imagine what people thought!.talk about being self conscious!

When I got to the point of not being able to walk a straight line, I would tell the doctor that we were skipping that part of the exam because I was not going to be able to walk toe to heel in a straight line ( no matter how hard I tried).

I chuckle every day over something that I did. Laughter is a good thing, and with MS we can provide ourselves with much laughter!

I cannot tell a joke because I cannot remember it! You will find much support on this site. If you have any questions, ask away. You can also visit our chat room and talk with others"live ".
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Laughter

Yes, a lot of things that happen with MS are funny. Usually AFTER they happen! Today I got a taxi to the grocery store. I really shouldn't have, being in the middle of a bad flare, but I always bite off more than I can chew. My ability to walk sort of died as I was looking at celery, so I spent 5 whole minutes staring at celery, pretending to be considering it with great care before my legs decided to work again. I've perfected the pretending to be looking at things when I'm out, because I need frequent breaks while walking. Laughter is the best medicine

Comment

Thank you for your support, it is so nice being able to connect in some way with people that really get it!

Comment

Originally posted by PositiveMS View Post
              Yes, a lot of things that happen with MS are funny. Usually AFTER they happen! Today I got a taxi to the grocery store. I really shouldn't have, being in the middle of a bad flare, but I always bite off more than I can chew. My ability to walk sort of died as I was looking at celery, so I spent 5 whole minutes staring at celery, pretending to be considering it with great care before my legs decided to work again. I've perfected the pretending to be looking at things when I'm out, because I need frequent breaks while walking. Laughter is the best medicine
              omg!!! I was at the grocery store yesterday, in the middle of a flare also, and my legs kept giving out. Mostly around the ankles, so I stopped and stared at cans of veggies then couple of aisles down staring at frozen food. hahahahah
              we got to laugh. my dh kept asking are you ok? Fine just trying to decide.
              Good Luck and Try to Keep Smiling.
              DIAGNOSED=2012
              ISSUES LONG BEFORE
              REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Originally posted by MSwhileOverseas View Post

hello, being drunk would be nice at least you would not be in pain and going through this tough time with MS and it's ups and downs. To me having MS you are not alone but it feels like it because alot of people act as if you have something that they can catch but they cant.

Comment

Are y'all saying drunk walk is a flare???

Is it normal or OK to walk fine from 5am to 10 am and become unbalanced at 10:01am. I am completely new to this.

My rt leg still has some numbness, I walked fine from Mon to Thursday at 10:01 am. My thinking become foggy and my walking shaky and then came the tension headache and rt arm pain and achenes. I was assuming this is stress. What do y'all think? Does it happen like this for you?

Comment

Ah, but Saveme, there's the throwing up your proverbial and promising the Almighty you will never, ever touch a drop ever again as long as He makes your head stop spinning.

The only good thing about MS is while you feel dizzy and unbalanced, generally you're not nauseous.
                    Oh, except for the MS Hug.

Queen Lavee, the drunk walk is my standard walk. It gets way worse late in the day. If you've been walking fine and suddenly bam, it's gone, I'm thinking flare, unless it went away after you had a rest.

Comment

MS or tipsy

Hi
                      Just here to say welcome to MS.
                      I just love the tests the neurologist wants us to do while being examined.
                      My favorites are "walk on your toes" Gad I can't hardly walk straight on my feet. and "close your eyes and tip your head backward" Glad the Doc stands behind me as I would fall flat on my backside.

I have had this MS since I was in my teens although it did not get bad until I was in my 40's. So now I am an older lady who goes shopping but only in stores with shopping carts as I need one to balance me while I walk. If I make a sudden turn to take something off the shelves and turn back, I will almost fall over. People have looked at me funny on more than one occasion. I just smile and say "Senior Moment". Being 64 has its perks??

I also forget what I start to do and have to stand still until I remember again. I may look like I am losing my mind, but that's just MS. I take a med for spasticity but I don't think there is one for balance.

Hang in there and remember to laugh.
                      Cheryl

Comment

We don't walk like drunks

The world is on its axis. It is tilted to the right and that's why we keep leaning and falling down. At least we could get the drunk feeling thinking that we were awesome.

Comment

Celery hahahah

Originally posted by PositiveMS View Post

That's fantastic! Thank you for making me smile... I get this sitting in the scooter at Target. I go on the hottest days thinking I will just be two minutes but I stare at the cheese for five minutes knowing exactly which one I want but making believe I am just window shopping :O)

Comment

No you are not drunk!
                            As someone that did drink a lot in younger days; I seem to remember a great feeling of euphoria.

Staggering- check
                            Confusion - check
                            Visual disturbances -check
                            Nausea - check
                            Euphoria - ?????????? - Where is the euphoria?
                            Euphoria is the whole point of being drunk! This sucks. I just feel sick and dizzy.

When was the last time you felt euphoria?
                            If it has been a while, it is probably MS.

Whoops I just pee'd my pants, I gotta go.

Comment

I absolutely love this post!!! I almost posted something similar a while back but I didn't know if it was considered tacky to make jokes out of ms. I feel like I can relate so much! The very first time I went to the Dr for my symptoms my sentences seemed to keep ending with "kind of like I'm drunk." It described everything so well! I even have the added bonus of feeling like the room is spinning when I try to lay down. I tried the old drinking tip of putting one foot on the floor to make it stop but I guess that doesn't apply to ms. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X