Secondhand Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secondhand Smoke

I am currently employed with a big tobacco company. Even though it is illegal to smoke in the building, they do anyway. I am a nonsmoker. Does secondhand smoke have an impact on MS?

I'd like to add: I was diagnosed with MS in 2010, one year after starting this job. Don't know if being around smoke everyday had anything to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mefoca View Post
      I'd like to add: I was diagnosed with MS in 2010, one year after starting this job. Don't know if being around smoke everyday had anything to do with it.
      My biological mother smoked while pregnant with my sister and I, she has asthma, I have MS. I know there is a connection w/ smoking in utero and asthma, I have not seen anything on smoking and MS.

Both of my parents smoked while I was growing up, they did so while outside or in another room off basement.

There is a small percent who is dx w/ MS, I am the only one in my family.

Comment

When I was growing up, everyone smoked, everwhere, including Dr's offices, hospitals (except where oxygen was in use) airline travel, all public transportation, restaurants, etc.

I remember approximately 5yrs ago there was lot's of cpressure in the medical community to make the connection between smoking and MS, but the science didn't prove cause and effect.

I believe there is a connection between how much worse in general MS smokers are than MS non-smokers. MS sx's may exacerbate in MS smokers. But that's true of the non MS population too.

Your workplace sounds like a 'bully' kind of attitude in the tobacco bussiness. I'm usually in favor of filing with DOL, govt agency that regulates tobacco use in the workplace, my only hesitation is the backlash you may experience with respect to your job security.

Comment

cough cough.....

the thought of being around that smoke makes me sick! My first symptoms of MS started 1 1/2 years after being submerged heavely in smoke nightly. I used to be a full-time musician. I wondered if the nightly smoke didn't trigger it. I had my first bout of ON 18 mos. after working 5 nights a week in bars.

They say second-hand smoke is actually worse than smoking yourself....here is a page from the National MS society on smoking and MS: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...hol/index.aspx

Comment

Working...
          X