Employment woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment woes

I haven't worked at all this year, but as I started feeling better, I did apply at a few different places. Some were for jobs outside my field (since my field requires being on your feet all the time), but all they wanted to know was why a nurse would apply for those jobs. Who cares, that's my problem! I applied for a couple nursing jobs recently, thinking I'd be okay if it was slow paced enough. They wouldn't even call me back.

Now I've gotten worse again, having some mild vision issues and my legs have started giving out on me again, plus I've had horrible arm numbness that won't let me even use my arm until it passes. Monday I got a call out of the blue from a place I applied at and interviewed almost a year ago, saying they're opening up a new full time position. Had this happened a month ago, I'd have jumped all over it. With my condition right now though, I know there's absolutely no way I could handle it. I honestly feel with everything going on plus my horrible fatigue that requires daily naps, I'm not even fit to work at all right now.

I made the mistake of telling my mom about the call and she thinks I should jump all over it because it must be a sign. I've tried telling her there's no way I could handle it (I was even very concerned about that last year when I applied, so I never pursued it back then because of my physical limitations), but she still thinks I should try. This is coming from the same person who saw me struggle last week and said that she didn't think I'd ever be able to do my old job again. So now she wants me to put myself out there and risk injuring myself, or even worse, someone else? All she's looking at is that I'd have an income and be able to pay my own bills again. My last job lasted all of 3 weeks because of my stupid MS. This one wouldn't even last that long with the condition I'm in right now.

This is so frustrating. People see me walk 10 feet normally and think there's nothing wrong with me. They also see me do a one hour class at the gym and assume that I'm so strong right now. Yes, I am stronger than I was back in December, but when I can barely walk out of that gym because my legs are so weak (and keep in mind I modify to my ability so I'm not doing everything everyone else does), how could I ever do a job that requires me to be on my feet?

I do feel like I'm nothing but a huge burden on my family right now because I can't even support myself anymore, but going out and trying to do a job I know I can't do isn't exactly the answer to all of my problems. I've tried explaining this, but it was pointless. Nobody will ever understand it though unless one day their body decides to rebel against them as well.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

It is frustrating since how we feel varies month to month, day to day, hour by hour.

If the physical challenges are too much in nursing but you feel you could work in a less demanding job, have you considered something in an office, where potentially having the medical knowledge could benefit you?

A friend of mine is an RN, but actually works in the management side of a hospital and works with the recruiting/human resources area. Also, sometimes insurance companies hire people with medical backgrounds for claims adjusters for workmen's compensation. Maybe the institute you obtain your nursing license thru could help identify other options?

While I know it may not be the type of work you trained for and most likely enjoy, there may be options to explore if your goal is to get back to work. Best of luck to you.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
    X