Newly diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly diagnosed

I just started my first MS medication last Thursday. It is the new Tecfidera. My pharmacy is thru Walgreens. I have BCBS of Michigan and my co-pay was $30 so the Biogen rep put me thru the $10 program. I received my starter pack of 14 doses at 120 mg then 240 mg for 60 doses. Each are 2 x a day. I take it with breakfast and dinner and so far small indigestion and stomach discomfort but manageable. I am already on 40 mg daily of Nexium and I eat a Tums if I get upset stomach. I'm hoping this continues the way I read how some are experiencing flushing and burning skin. I will keep updates as I go along! Thank you guys for posting because I don't know what to expect!

Jen

Jen

Hi Jen

Welcome! I'm glad you had warning of possible side effects. You're already sharing lots of valuable information.

Welcome and Thank you
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Welcome Jen!
      I too recently was diagnosed. I do not take Tec. I take Copaxone but am dealing with odd side effects. Might need to change meds soon. Glad your doing well on your medication!

Comment

I too recently started my first MS medication. I am trying Copaxone with some not too enjoyable side effects. Good luck to you and welcome.

Comment

Update on Tecfidera

I have now been on Tecfidera for almost 6 months.

I had to go back down to the 1 pill a day for about 2 weeks then back up to the 2x daily on week 4. The pain was too much for my stomach to take. I was also prescribed by an ER doctor Hyoscyamine 0.125 mg sub cou which was a life saver for me to continue the medication.

I am now doing well if I can remember to take the evening pill. I had to start using the daily pill planner Biogen sent me so I can keep track. For years I have taken my meds in the morning for other things wrong with me and am still adjusting to a night pill.

Overall, stomach pain is minimally and sporadic ( I drink coke and eat saltine crackers if upsetting) and the flashes are lasting under 1/2 hour now. I am doing fine.

I go for my follow up in March to check my white blood cell count. Wish me luck and I will try to remember to post my test results.

Jen

Comment

Working...
          X