Need to Go Back to Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to Go Back to Work

I have been on disability for a year and need to go back to work next month. I have been looking but people cannot get over the fact that I have not been working for a year. I am very qualified for the positions that I have applied for. How do I get someone to give me a chance? I have been volunteering full time when I can, but that does not help even though it's on my resume. I am getting to the point of desperation.
    Any suggestions?
    "it's just Missy Me"
    Diagnosed July 06

One year being unemployed seems to be raising suspicion about your absence from the workforce. Unanswered questions about your absence could be adding to your difficulty getting an offer.

I used the 'illness in the family', to explain my period of unemployment, implying I was care giver for a relative. I didn't bother to clear up any of the 'confusion' by adding that I was the ill family member.

Is it plausiable that you were a stay at home parent during the period of absence? I'm assuming that you are not disclosing MS or illness as the reason for not working.

I don't know in what field or occupation you worked, but with the tanked economy, one year does not sound like such an outlandish period of time to be out of work these days. That is unless your occupation is one not affected by the poor economy and high unemployment.

I know I was a star candidate during many interviews, others not so much. With facial tremors, slightly wonky walking, vocal, head and hand tremors, along with extended period out of the workplace, there were enough red flags that despite my strong work history, education and experience, I probably didn't stand much of a chance based on employer fears of hiring someone with obvious 'problems' considering all my shaking body parts and Katharine Hepburn vocal quality.

It is a difficult obstacle to overcome, employers avoid hiring anyone who might pose a risk, wanting to avoid long term health cost that increase the company's insurance premiums, leave of absence, legal compliance with possible FMLA, etc., or other risk employers avoid, like someone incarcerated for a year.

Have you considered another field of work, maybe one not as competative as the one you are trying to return to currently? You may need to settle for something less than your dream job to re-establish a current work history.

Have you searched for advice about returning to the workforce after an extended absence? There's a lot of info and advice on returning to work after an illness on the net from reputable employment advisors.

You may want to consider hiring a consultant to research your employment history for any possible 'sabators' if you have concerns about previous employers.

Adjust your job search strategy a bit and you could find yourself in a dream job in no time, even if it takes a year to re-establish more current work history, you need to get back in the game.

Other than 'illness in the family', I don't have much to offer other than encouragement to not give up.

Best of luck to you in your job search.

Comment

Good Luck! Use the pros advise on getting your career back.

I was told by the state I live in while on un employment. I was too old and too experianced and made too high ot earnings on my last jabe and I had to.

Dumd down my resume. Only show 10 years. and expect to now make only 1/2 of my past wage.

So it took over a year and I got a JOB holding a stick out side in all weather 12 hrs a day for almost a year. welcome to my hell. Oh and it was just over min wage. hobbiled to and fro.slow.

But I up graded to INside last year! just over min wage on feet all day 7 days a stent.just over min wage. I still work but I do have any thing possitive to say for my self.

But you sound like you have a better attitude about working than I do. after all .. Im a lowly low wage er. I would NOT be able to afford a pot to p... in if I had to. my DW brings home the bacon. I bring home my tired a,. that cant do anythting else.

Comment

Looking for work

I am a disabled RN but still want to work. I sent for Information from Americans with Disabilities. I am hoping they can point me in the right direction.

Just because you have a disability doesn't mean you can't work. You might want to contact them.

Baydenoc

Comment

Working...
        X