What is this pain ... ms hug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this pain ... ms hug?

I have been having pain under my armpit area and goes around the back ... it wraps around about a foot. It feels like a painful spasm. I have been having it on and off over the past couple of days and it is driving me crazy.

Does anyone else have this and what is your experience and how do you get rid of it? Is it part of the ms hug???

Thanks in advance.
    ~Brittan~ Over 15 years w/ symptoms & Recently diagnosed w/ Chiari 1 Malformation - it has a lot of similar symptoms to MS. Easy to dx by MRI. See videos CM info - how to dx via MRI: https://youtu.be/I0f9e3pU6to CM symptoms: https://youtu.be/YyF3HVgHpCs FB group: Chiari Is For Real

Hi,
    That's what I get too. It's very painful. I don't know if that's what the hug is. It's what I call the hug.
    I really haven't found anything to make it go away. I have taken muscle relaxers and put aspercreme on it and that helps a bit. But it comes back. I think the muscle relaxers work because I take enough to knock me out.

Comment

It could be the MS hug. With MS that's always a suspect for "wraparound" pain. If it keeps up it's a good idea to have one of your doctors check it out to be sure it isn't something else.

For some people muscle relaxers work to reduce the pain. For other people gabapentin helps. For other people it might be another medicine like Lyrica or amitriptyline. When I had the hug it was before Lyrica came out. Amitriptyline helped enough that I wasn't in terrible pain. My hug went away after a few months and I haven't had it since.

Your neuro should have some ideas for what medicine would be appropriate for you. I hope you get some relief soon.

Comment

I logged on tonight to post a similar question.

For nearly a year I have had what felt like pinched nerve numbness under my left shoulder blade which has now become pain deep in my armpit that can run down the back of my upper arm and the front of my forearm. I have weakness in my last two fingers on that hand that comes and goes. I do have a MRI confirmed bulging disc at c5-c6.

The pain is worse in the morning and I have had a sharp pain from the chest wall straight to my back.

The last part of this cluster of symptoms is tight segments on the thoracic spine and recently pins and needles along my spine in the thoracic region...basically the centermost part of my upper body.

I've been using an at home TENS machine, ice, rolling on two tennis balls in a tied sock, rolling on a foam roller, and more.
        I found some relief with OMT (Osteopathic Manipulation Treatment) and a couple visits to acupuncture.

However, I don't know if this is MS, the bulging disc, or if this is some other issue.

Please share your MS experience if it resembles this.
        Irish.Girl 40 yrs old
        Diagnosed with RRMS 2004 at 30 yrs old
        Possibly transitioning to SPMS
        Rebif 3 mos, Copaxone 5 yrs
        Last 4 years no DMD

Comment

Originally posted by cali1892 View Post
          Hi,
          That's what I get too. It's very painful. I don't know if that's what the hug is. It's what I call the hug.
          I really haven't found anything to make it go away. I have taken muscle relaxers and put aspercreme on it and that helps a bit. But it comes back. I think the muscle relaxers work because I take enough to knock me out.
          I have taken gabapentin but it still occurs ... it is very painful and quite disturbing. It seems to stop me in my tracks. I have had the ms hug around the whole cage and also in base of ribs and sides on separate occasions. That is why I am wondering if this is what it is.

Maybe I'll try ice packs on the sternum and back I noticed this helps me the most with the ms hug so hopefully it helps.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post
          It could be the MS hug. With MS that's always a suspect for "wraparound" pain. If it keeps up it's a good idea to have one of your doctors check it out to be sure it isn't something else.

For some people muscle relaxers work to reduce the pain. For other people gabapentin helps. For other people it might be another medicine like Lyrica or amitriptyline. When I had the hug it was before Lyrica came out. Amitriptyline helped enough that I wasn't in terrible pain. My hug went away after a few months and I haven't had it since.

Your neuro should have some ideas for what medicine would be appropriate for you. I hope you get some relief soon.
          If I don't get relief tonight I'll try another med as you suggested. I do have a neuro appt next week so I will discuss it with him then.

Originally posted by Irish.girl View Post
          I logged on tonight to post a similar question.

For nearly a year I have had what felt like pinched nerve numbness under my left shoulder blade which has now become pain deep in my armpit that can run down the back of my upper arm and the front of my forearm. I have weakness in my last two fingers on that hand that comes and goes. I do have a MRI confirmed bulging disc at c5-c6.

The pain is worse in the morning and I have had a sharp pain from the chest wall straight to my back.

The last part of this cluster of symptoms is tight segments on the thoracic spine and recently pins and needles along my spine in the thoracic region...basically the centermost part of my upper body.

I've been using an at home TENS machine, ice, rolling on two tennis balls in a tied sock, rolling on a foam roller, and more.
          I found some relief with OMT (Osteopathic Manipulation Treatment) and a couple visits to acupuncture.

However, I don't know if this is MS, the bulging disc, or if this is some other issue.

Please share your MS experience if it resembles this.
          Tell you the truth I'd be scared to use the TENS machine ... afraid it make it worse...lol. The neuro did check my c-spine but to my surprise the mri showed no bulged discs or damage but he did find that my spinal cord appeared to be too straight as if it was being pulled which can account for some of the pain I've been feeling.

I have a little pain going down the arm/shoulder currently but nothing too significant but however I have previously had shocking pains running from my hands up to my shoulders due to possibly spasticity or thoracic outlet syndrome.

I ultimately changed my pillows to a therapeutica pillow to avoid me sleeping on my stomach to prevent flare ups and to keep my spine in alignment while I sleep and I also wear a night brace for my wrist to keep it rested. If I do not do this each night I noticed the next day I am in massive pain and the arm is useless.

Plus I have a pillow between my knees or under them while I sleep and I hug a pillow against my chest to keep my shoulders rested and up. This seems to assist in not having as many shocks running up the arms or down ... I hope this helps! Good Luck!

Big Hugs to all ... you all are so wonderful!
          ~Brittan~ Over 15 years w/ symptoms & Recently diagnosed w/ Chiari 1 Malformation - it has a lot of similar symptoms to MS. Easy to dx by MRI. See videos CM info - how to dx via MRI: https://youtu.be/I0f9e3pU6to CM symptoms: https://youtu.be/YyF3HVgHpCs FB group: Chiari Is For Real

Comment

massage

I went to a massage therapist and chiro. Told them that I had MS, so that if I had a spasm, they would understand. And by knowing, they may treat the MS? I figured they were educated, and may know things......

WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE they made. It took time, but they took the knives out of my back, stopped my wraparound, moving pain. Some weeks, it went horizontally around my back, some weeks, vertically from shoulder down, some weeks just in certain locations (knives sticking out of my back).

I was a firm nonbeliever, and am so glad I went anyway. It did take time, about 6 months of treatment. I went every other week, alternating the two.

I realize this may not help everyone, but I advocate trying. I cannot believe the difference it made for me.
            You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Originally posted by zilphia01 View Post
              I went to a massage therapist and chiro. Told them that I had MS, so that if I had a spasm, they would understand. And by knowing, they may treat the MS? I figured they were educated, and may know things......

WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE they made. It took time, but they took the knives out of my back, stopped my wraparound, moving pain. Some weeks, it went horizontally around my back, some weeks, vertically from shoulder down, some weeks just in certain locations (knives sticking out of my back).

I was a firm nonbeliever, and am so glad I went anyway. It did take time, about 6 months of treatment. I went every other week, alternating the two.

I realize this may not help everyone, but I advocate trying. I cannot believe the difference it made for me.
              Tell you the truth, I don't knock something until I try it. Because some of the best remedies are homeopathic or alternative meds. This is one thing I've learned though my long journey.

I have noticed most of the time doctors treat the symptoms and not necessarily the cause (depending on what it is). I always take the time out to research it further and discover why it does what it does and alternatively find something that helps.

Such as Methyl-b12 (the active form of b12) it helps w/ cholesterol, controlling the blood sugar, helps with white matter on the brain, mthfr, gout, feet pain due to diabetes.

My mom has diabetes and had high cholesterol for over 20 years and the doctors could not control either come to find out she had mthfr which means she could not absorb the regular b12 and so she was deficient.

I started giving her the methyl-b12 and in 2 months she was off 3 of her diabetes meds, off of her cholesterol med and her blood sugar (bs) maintained a steady level vs the erratic bs she had before.

Needless to say the doctors were floored when they saw her blood tests.

Research ... I love the internet.

Comment

Just an update. Last night I started getting very wobbly/dizzy so I never grabbed the ice packs but I am going to sit here for the next 2-3 hours with it on and see after that if that pain returns. I'll let you know.

Keep your fingers crossed. I know a few days ago I was waiting for the VEP test and it hit me hard and it freaked me out because it was so painful. Prior to that I do not believe I was having that pain but we all know when we over due it it kicks us in several different places ....lol.

Comment

Good news! I visited with a new doctor today and he identified this collection of armpit pain and pulling in the upper chest to the back as Pectoralis Minor Syndrome. Of course, I didn't get an official diagnosis because I was seeing him for something else. However, he has treated this condition often and my symptoms fit it well.

I found several pages of information including one that called the "Pectoralis Minor, King of Compensation". Compensation is exactly the word the DO used to explain why my pain is in my left arm yet my right side is more tense.

Based on the last picture on that page, I plan to find stretches for the specific muscles that feel tight and strengthening exercises for opposing muscles so that I can hopefully correct this imbalance. Of course, I am not a doctor, so I will be running this by my DO who does my OMT.

Even all the research I've done hasn't ruled out MS as a causative agent, so even if I can improve the symptoms, I don't know I will cure it since its root cause may still be MS nerve stuff. The doctor did say this syndrome does come and go. Mine seems to be in the come and stay a long time stage. Deep breath...Exhale :-)

Hope this helps.
                  Irish.Girl 40 yrs old
                  Last 4 years no DMD

Comment

Originally posted by Irish.girl View Post
                    Good news! I visited with a new doctor today and he identified this collection of armpit pain and pulling in the upper chest to the back as Pectoralis Minor Syndrome. Of course, I didn't get an official diagnosis because I was seeing him for something else. However, he has treated this condition often and my symptoms fit it well.

I found several pages of information including one that called the "Pectoralis Minor, King of Compensation". Compensation is exactly the word the DO used to explain why my pain is in my left arm yet my right side is more tense.

Based on the last picture on that page, I plan to find stretches for the specific muscles that feel tight and strengthening exercises for opposing muscles so that I can hopefully correct this imbalance. Of course, I am not a doctor, so I will be running this by my DO who does my OMT.

Even all the research I've done hasn't ruled out MS as a causative agent, so even if I can improve the symptoms, I don't know I will cure it since its root cause may still be MS nerve stuff. The doctor did say this syndrome does come and go. Mine seems to be in the come and stay a long time stage. Deep breath...Exhale :-)

Hope this helps.
                    Interesting ... that is the first I've heard of that. It appears to also agitate the thoracic outlet as well which is kind of like a breaker box for the body so if it is pushed or pulled it can cause similar symptoms.

Good for you. I'm glad the doc was able to discover what was going on ... that is always great news.

Comment

It seems the ice packs are working so I am assuming it is the ms hug ... blah. You have to love that. LOL. I am going to continue with the ice packs and hopefully it won't come back (knock on wood

Isn't it funny how sometimes certain meds will help and other times they don't even touch it?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I have made a note of them for future reference.

Comment

Brittan,
                        Thanks so much for sharing your research about your mom's deficiency. I found an article about MTHFR, and I am intrigued.
                        Hope things are in a good place for you.
                        Irish.Girl 40 yrs old
                        Last 4 years no DMD

Comment

Working...
                        X