Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why?

Does anyone know why tecfidera is so hard on your stomach?

I haven't figured that out of course, but I think it's more than just swallowing the pill that causes problems. I think it has more to do with the drug building up in your system.

During my first Tec attempt, I didn't have any side effects at all until Day 20 (40 doses)! On that day, I awoke with a horrible stomach ache. Pepto, Zantac, Zofran, nothing helped. Stomach hurt and couldn't keep any food down. Doc said I just had to fight thru it. It wasn't his stomach that hurt so after 3 days, I quit taking the med. Symptoms continued for 7-8 days.

Promised my doc I would try again (amping up slower) after Vacay this week. I'm going to talk to my pharmacist first about what RX may be out there to help w stomach issues.

What I'd like to know is how we missed this info while waiting for Tec to hit the streets. Are trial participants forbidden from discussing drugs/side effects while enrolled in trial studies?
    Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
    Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

Originally posted by Leeaura View Post
      I haven't figured that out of course, but I think it's more than just swallowing the pill that causes problems. I think it has more to do with the drug building up in your system.

During my first Tec attempt, I didn't have any side effects at all until Day 20 (40 doses)! On that day, I awoke with a horrible stomach ache. Pepto, Zantac, Zofran, nothing helped. Stomach hurt and couldn't keep any food down. Doc said I just had to fight thru it. It wasn't his stomach that hurt so after 3 days, I quit taking the med. Symptoms continued for 7-8 days.

Promised my doc I would try again (amping up slower) after Vacay this week. I'm going to talk to my pharmacist first about what RX may be out there to help w stomach issues.

What I'd like to know is how we missed this info while waiting for Tec to hit the streets. Are trial participants forbidden from discussing drugs/side effects while enrolled in trial studies?
      I would love to know what the pharmacist says. I am on zofran and it is helping the nausea but not the other side effects. I am calling my neuro today to see what he has to offer. I started another thread overcoming tec. to see what people are using to control all these horrible side effects. I think people did report a lot of gastro side effects during the trial as 30% had to quit because of it. This is my second time trying it and I am on a low dose for two weeks. My side effects started immediately this time as it took a week before they kicked in last time.

Comment

I think it may be that our "flora" in our intestines are not healthy! We take so much medication to keep us going with MS that it has really done a number on our bodies. Try taking a really good probiotic a week before you begin the medication again. It helps your body stay healthy and able to fight off the crud we swallow.

I was eating FAGE yogurt every day for a while because of the probiotics in it. But it is not strong enough if you are on medications that your body needs to cleanse out of your system.

Just a thought. I wonder how many people on this site is taking Tecfider AND probiotics - and not having many side effects.....

Comment

@MSer

Yes. I juice 2x a day and I take probiotics in the juice. Kefir and Russian Kefir and I have not had any stomach issues "at all". Minor flushing and itching also.

Since BG12 was out there was already talk about the stomach issues, flushing and itchy skin.

I feel much better, I feel less hungry between juicing but have a tendency to get bloated easier now with being on tecfidera, probiotics and juicing. I'm also on a modified SWANKS/GAPS diet.

I think every MSer needs to read up on flora, the leaky gut and a healthy gastrointestinal tract.
          I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Bill Hicks

Comment

What I want to know is why it causes the flushing like a bad sunburn!!! It feels like my face is on fire and turns me bright red!

Comment

I was told to eat a fatty meal with it to lessen the side effects. My stomach isn't terrible but flushing and itching suck.

Comment

tec

I have been eating half my meal then take tec.Then eat the rest of my meal. I also take the pills 10 to 12 hours apart.

Comment

I have been on Tecfidera about 3 weeks. I too had the stomach burning and GI upset. Now I am taking generic Prilosec (Omneprazole) which has helped considerably. I saw my primary for my physical today and he wrote me a Rx for the Omneprazole so I only will pay a co-pay for the next time.

Regarding the flushing, my Neurologist told me to take 250 mg (enteric coated) Aspirin one hour before I take the Tecfidera for the flushing symptoms. She said to gradually wean myself down to the 81 mg dose. I have had no problems since taking the aspirin. It is very important to take the enteric coated to prevent stomach upset.

I eat a big breakfast before my 9 am dose. I had originally tried drinking my usual protein shake for breakfast and had stomach problems.

Now for the best part. A nurse told me to take a couple pieces of chocolate before my 9 pm dose. The fat in the chocolate helps diminish the side effects of the drug.

I eat small meals and drink a lot of water throughout the day. I try to eat as healthy as possible. I still eat junk occasionally. You have to enjoy some fun.

I set my cell phone alarm for 8:45 am and pm so I have maintained the 9 am and 9 pm schedule.

Since incorporating these changes, the side effects are minimal.

Comment

Working...
                  X