Sleep meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phxjcc View Post
    Try trazadone, an anti-anxiety drug often prescribed for sleep issues. Available as a generic to Desyrel, the brand name.

I only need 50 mg, but I am sensitive to CNS drugs.

My 90 y.o. mother in law was taking 200 mg and she was 5 ft tall and weighed 95 lbs, so your YMMV.

Ridiculously inexpensive--something like $9 for 90 days worth at Costco. I get the 100's and break them in half--same price as the 50 mg.

My side effects: dry mouth in the morning, alcohol sensitivity.
    Trazadone is great and non-addictive, but just to be accurate, it's an antidepressant.

Comment

I also take Trazodone for sleep (150mg) at night for sleep. Most nights it's helpful for me. I also take 20 mg of baclofen and 1200 mg of gabapentin at night. I was on Trazodone long before I was diagnosed with MS. I know how much missing out on sleep affects my MS symptoms - I try to get as much sleep as possible at night.
      Julie
      DX 11/9/11
      Rebif Therapy 12/13/11

Comment

Originally posted by jmfmwc View Post
        I also take Trazodone for sleep (150mg) at night for sleep. Most nights it's helpful for me. I also take 20 mg of baclofen and 1200 mg of gabapentin at night. I was on Trazodone long before I was diagnosed with MS. I know how much missing out on sleep affects my MS symptoms - I try to get as much sleep as possible at night.

Oh my gosh... I can't believe how much Gabapentin you are taking. I just took 100mg and have been dizzy all day.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I have been on Ambien since 2006 (when I was first dx and put on steroids). I cannot get off the stuff! I have tried breaking them in half, getting another Rx, going cold turkey, etc... everything short of going to rehab! I can fall asleep for a short time (about 5 minutes) before shaking myself awake. It's extremely frustrating because I want to get pregnant and I can't while on the 'sauce!' Any tips/suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by coryball7 View Post
            I have been on Ambien since 2006 (when I was first dx and put on steroids). I cannot get off the stuff! I have tried breaking them in half, getting another Rx, going cold turkey, etc... everything short of going to rehab! I can fall asleep for a short time (about 5 minutes) before shaking myself awake. It's extremely frustrating because I want to get pregnant and I can't while on the 'sauce!' Any tips/suggestions?
            Hi Cory - Searching the internet there are some suggestions for weaning off Ambien. Substituting Melatonin is given as a possible way of weaning yourself off Ambien. Of course you should consult your doctor who will have your medical / prescription history, etc.

"How to Use Melatonin to Taper Off Ambien By Noel Stanchfield, eHow Contributor

Ambien is one of the most frequently prescribed drugs for insomnia as of 2009...many patients are searching for an alternative. The natural supplement melatonin is a great candidate. Melatonin is the chemical naturally produced by your body that tells your brain it is time to sleep. It is available in a pill form, is not addictive and does not carry the side effects that Ambien has. Because Ambien is a stronger drug than the Melatonin supplement, you will want to take more Melatonin initially, as you are weaned off of the prescription medication. In order to taper off use of the prescription drug, you will need to reduce your use to the minimal dose, you may need to consult your doctor in order to obtain a new prescription at the lowered strength.

Difficulty: Moderate

1 Take three 3mg Melatonin pills with a full glass of water thirty minutes before getting into bed, every night for a week. Also take the minimal dosage of Ambien each night as you would normally.

2 Take two 3mg Melatonin pills with a full glass of water thirty thirty minutes before getting into bed, every night the second week. Take the minimal Ambien dosage every other night.

3 Take one 3mg Melatonin pill with a full glass of water thirty minutes before getting into bed, every night as desired. Take the Ambien every three nights in addition to the Melatonin.

4 Take just one 3mg Melatonin pill with a full glass of water thirty minutes before getting into bed, every night as desired.

Tips & Warnings
            The effectiveness of the Melatonin is relative to your general body size, if you are smaller or larger than average you will want to adjust the dosages for your personal situation.

Ambien is a hypnotic and many long-term users report withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, insomnia, seizures, abdominal discomfort, weakness, sweating and nausea, especially when suddenly stopping use of the drug. If you experience these symptoms of withdrawal, consult your physician."

Good luck in finding an alternative sleep aid.

Bree

Comment

LDN

One of the benefits I've seen from taking it is getting really good sleep!

Comment

I did really WEIRD things when I was taking ambien, so I went off of that and tried some melatonin...it helps and that is all I will say. I am still searching for something that my docs aren't afraid to prescribe. (UGH and rolling my eyes)
                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Ambien for me!

I've been taking it for several years, after experiencing such severe insomnia I thought I'd go crazy. I usually take 2.5 mg, but sometimes take 5 (or none) depending on how I'm feeling. When I take the full dose, I feel SO refreshed in the morning.

If it's working for you, and you're not having any weird side effects (I never have) I'm not sure why you'd want to stop. My doctor is fine with me continuing to take it. I try to stretch out my bottle of 30 just because of the annoyance of having to get a new prescription each time.

I used to worry that I was becoming a drug addict . . . but I've been taking the same dose for years. It's not the Ambien I'm "dependent" on, it's the 7 hours of quality sleep.

Comment

Marijuana is the best sleep aid for me. No hang over feeling the next day. It also helps with spasticity and allows me to stretch my muscles more deeply.
                    Opiegirl, Dx 1991
                    Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
                    Estriol 9/12-present
                    Still Hopeful.

Comment

Sleep and normal don't go together for me!

I am usually sleep starved. My neuro gave me Amytriptyline (sorry spelling is not correct) 10 mg. He says to take it before bedtime and even if I have to take more than one it's okay. It works slowly so you do have to take it an hour or more before bedtime. It does work for me, but it dries me out so badly. I can hardly talk; have to sip water to get to where I can speak normally!

Lately I find myself having a difficult time waking up and I never feel refreshed. If I don't take it I don't fall asleep or at least not at night.

I think my day/night rhythm is reversed. I've tried to use the sleep med at night and then use Nuvigil to stay awake during the day. I still don't feel right. I feel I'm just drugging myself!

My situation is even more complex because I have an itch that is intense and just affects my right foot. It can be so bad that it is almost unbearable. My docs have tried everything to no avail.

I was ill with a virus about a month ago and it took a while to get over it. I have not felt well ever since and wonder if the virus triggered a relapse.

MS is a real pain...

Diane
                      You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Originally posted by Betsi View Post
                        I've been taking it for several years, after experiencing such severe insomnia I thought I'd go crazy. I usually take 2.5 mg, but sometimes take 5 (or none) depending on how I'm feeling. When I take the full dose, I feel SO refreshed in the morning.

If it's working for you, and you're not having any weird side effects (I never have) I'm not sure why you'd want to stop. My doctor is fine with me continuing to take it. I try to stretch out my bottle of 30 just because of the annoyance of having to get a new prescription each time.

I used to worry that I was becoming a drug addict . . . but I've been taking the same dose for years. It's not the Ambien I'm "dependent" on, it's the 7 hours of quality sleep.
                        This could have been written by me, except my doc's decided I needed to try other options. I was getting a lovely 7 hours of sleep every night and waking well rested. Took it for over two years. Why the heck is it a problem giving me a medication that improves my quality of sleep and quality of wakefulness as well? I get so frustrated with these "changes".

Taking hydroxyzine instead. It is OK, but I don't wake feeling rested. I add one flexeril and 5 mg. melatonin. All that when one little ambien would do the trick. Currently on a long string of insomnia nights.

Comment

Oh, Justsayyes, I feel for you! I took hydroxyzine many years ago--originally for hives, then for sleep. It worked okay, but I woke up feeling "hungover." I'm so glad my doctor is okay with my continued use of Ambien. It's received some bad publicity recently after Kerry Kennedy's accident, but any drug can be misused. I make sure I don't keep the bottle next to my throid medication or anything else I take in the morning!

Comment

Thanks Betsi! If I wasn't so tired, I'd switch to another practice for my family physician. Whenever I go to my current practice they ask if I'm still taking Ambien. NO....you won't give it to me! Geez......

Comment

Has anyone tried

valerian for sleep?

Comment

Working...
                              X