Helping to motivate my bf to re-start the job search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helping to motivate my bf to re-start the job search

My bf has been trying to get back to school/get a job for the past 6 months with no luck. Three weeks ago he got the rejection letter from the one job he actually interviewed for and then a week later he got the MS dx Right now he's obviously still coping with that news so we haven't had the "finding a job" talk but eventually it's something we need to discuss. I just don't want to feel like I'm nagging him or pressuring him. I just know getting a job and a normal routine would make him feel better and give him less time to dwell. When and how would you suggest I bring up looking for a job again?

I've been thinking about this since you posted.

I'm afraid there's no easy answer. You are in the best position to judge. Unfortunately, it's not easy for someone diagnosed with MS to find (much less keep) a job with the inevitability of flares and exacerbations.

I understand his frustration and yours. I would not push him, but I would ASK, in an understanding manner, what he feels he reasonably do in the work force and proceed from there.

If he's in a position where it takes all his energy just to get up in the morning and get dressed (I think most of us have been there at some point), then looking for a job is not going to be high on his list of priorities.

Perhaps some counseling or occupational therapy might be helpful if he has insurance, as working can be addressed there in a non-accusatory way. It can be terribly difficult for an SO to discuss without coming across as judgmental and/or demanding.

I wish you the best of luck. MS diagnosis can take time to absorb and internalize, and there is a grieving process where you realize you might have to say farewell to the old you and become acquainted with the new.

Comment

Working...
    X