MS World Movie - The Elevator Pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS World Movie - The Elevator Pitch

(Lead steps into elevator and notices that people already there are going floor #42 as well)

"Hey guys, looks like the MS World Club lobby is pretty popular today, headed there myself. Grew up in Oregon, been a longtime listener now in Houston, first time caller."
    (The group turns to face the lead and with a slight positive smile they sigh in knowing acknowledgment)

"About time too, diagnosed in 2007. I've been put through the ringer and found my way to Tysabri in 2008. Fortunate to get/ignore a healthy amount of bad/good advice/marketing on my way to an semi-regular happy equilibrium. No small feat considering how awkward my sense of humor can be well, that's what I've heard at least. Yes, my wife will confirm this if you need any further evidence.
    (The group understands all too well. Noting that the elevator is passing floor 26, they quietly conclude to themselves that the carpet is really more of an indigo blue than purple)

"Hey, got an idea if ya'll are game. I've got this meeting with some people to share my story about long road back to cycling and my adventure in my first Texas BP MS 150 bike ride last month so..."
    (Lead tries to show the group a picture of his Austin finish line barbaric victory yalp on his phone, but he drops it. Now on floor #40, the elevator begins to slow. Scooping up his cellphone, lead turns back to the group)

"Faaaantastic! Gonna blame that one on my youthful exuberance not my RRMS. I'd be correct but that'd be too easy and happens too often."
    (Elevator door opens to the MS World lobby)

"Believe it or not, I'm actually a the deep thinker and occasionally considered kinda shy. I'm just so gosh darn excited about being here. Oh ya, my idea. I really hope we get a chance to stumble into/across/around each other and talk shop sometime."
    (Lead takes two steps in the lobby then quickly turns back around)

"Oh ya again, I forgot my name! It's Eric and that one I will blame on MS."

Hello Eric and welcome to MSWorld! I think we're going to award you an award for the most creative introduction into MSWorld. Can't wait to read more of your posts.

And congratulations on your MS 150 bike ride!! What an accomplishment - you can take a bow now We're glad you found your way here.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

WELCOME Eric!
      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

You're funny. I like you.
        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Hi Eric and welcome to MSWorld.

Wonderful introduction. Quite creative
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Eric,

Welcome and thanks for your creative and entertaining introduction! Congrats on your MS Bike ride, too. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi Eric

Welcome! Your introduction made my day and the big smile on my face
              Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Welcome Eric. Welcome to Hot and Humid...

What team were you with for BP150? I worked the #4 break area Saturday and the Omni and Memorial park (in Academy this year) packet pick-up.

Tom
                "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
                - Voltaire

Comment

Hi Eric, really enjoyed your creative intro! Welcome!
                  Jen
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thanks so much, I really appreciate all the warm welcomes and compliments!
                    (The lead makes many deep bows in everyone's general direction without making eye contact because it's not polite to make people feel uncomfortable in elevator and is very happy to finally have a positive association with his occasional and rather public falls )

The MS 150 was a big deal for me. As I laid on my pre-diagnosis hospital bed putting together the pieces that were spoken in code during the daily rounds, the following thoughts came appeared in rather quick succession.
                    1) this is probably bad
                    2) this is probably MS
                    3) this probably means I'm never going to ride a bike again

Not that I had been on a bike, let alone a racing bike, in over a decade but hey, rationality was a not exactly a characteristic of my introduction to my new reality. Once I discovered my Catrike Expedition, the skies opened up. It was a huge risk considering humidity is a monster that, despite my efforts and living in Houston Texas, never seems stays hidden underneath my bed for too long. The successful venture was made possible with great support My wife, my team, the Volunteers and the best weather they had had for the event in decades. Low heat, low humidity and a slight hill with the entire way. The whole weekend was just like a great movie. Which reminds me, I've got this great idea...

Tom - I ride with "Because We Can." A group of cyclists with MS who ride for house and for others who can't. Boilerplate verbiage aside, just like "most close knit MS support groups," most of us ride with other teams but keep an eye out for and support each other. Our fearless leader on Brannigan helps us fly the flag using our copyright free brand positive community outreach.

becausewecanms.org - There's a picture in there with me on my bike "The Firefly" somewhere on the page.

Yup, I got my rider packet Academy but as for BP4, while I will confirm I was there however, I haven't the foggiest idea of what time, let alone what day, it was.

Comment

I know TXBatman - who rides for because we can. I saw him at the Omni this year. He stopped by. Your booth was just outside the bandana signing room - pedal partners or whatever it's called now.

Tom
                      "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
                      - Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                      X