Any IV steroid experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any IV steroid experience?

Has anyone used IV steroids for a flare?? I was dx in Dec., so this is all pretty new to me. My right foot is numb and weak and I started tripping again. The dr wasnt avail so I met with the nurse pract (this is new to me too). She did the exam and thinks I may be having a relapse. She's talking about 3-5 days of IV steroid. But will talk to Dr. first. So, any side effects? How will I feel afterward? Will my day continue as usual? Should I be nervous? I am. Thanks.
    Karen

Had IV Steroids a few weeks ago. Should you be nervous? NO!

I was in such bad shape mine were done with home nursing care.

There are a few side affects that they will monitor you for.

You will have metal mouth...lemon drops help with this. Most people gain a little weight (I am an exception, I lost 15 pounds). The steroids make me high...others, not so much. And most experience insomnia or hyperactivity. So get your IPod ready and a good book.

Other than that IV Steroids for major flares are wonderful.

And for the record, my flare lasted 7 weeks and today is my first day of normalcy and it feels really good!
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I have had IV steroids at least 7 times, a 5-day course each time. For me, the first time they worked the best. I felt better after the first day. Now days it takes a couple of weeks for me to get the full effect.

Like the last poster said, you don't sleep much, you get a lot done at work and at home. I only get the taste in my mouth while the infusion is going. I pop a piece of candy in my mouth like a peppermint or something-it goes in over an hour.

It also does make you gain weight, 5 lbs or so for myself, but others gain more. You have to watch your intake as you are always hungry.

No worries about it. This is the make you feel better medicine for most people!

Let us know how it goes.

Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Just a little heads up also, the steroids will raise your blood sugar too. I am diabetic also and found this out the hard way. Other than that it helped a lot.
        Disabled and going to school at the moment to make the best of my situation.

Comment

Originally posted by 0inone View Post
          Has anyone used IV steroids for a flare?? I was dx in Dec., so this is all pretty new to me. My right foot is numb and weak and I started tripping again. The dr wasnt avail so I met with the nurse pract (this is new to me too). She did the exam and thinks I may be having a relapse. She's talking about 3-5 days of IV steroid. But will talk to Dr. first. So, any side effects? How will I feel afterward? Will my day continue as usual? Should I be nervous? I am. Thanks.
          Karen
          IV steroids (IVSM) are very common. I've used them in the past, but now I just ride out relapses without them. I don't see enough benefit to risk them. Don't be nervous about them, but do educate yourself. Look at the link below for side effects and drug interactions.

I had a very mixed bag of side effects from one use to the next. Everything from "moon face" to a mild heart attack from a very rare side effect. The only one I experienced every time is the metallic taste. It's like having a mouthful of pocket change. Strong spicey, sour or tart items help, sweet making it worse. I guzzled ginger ale and chewed cinnamon gum. You may have a very low impact on your daily life or need to stay home in bed. You don't know until you take them and it can be different each time you take them.

The after effects also varied, one time I felt amazing by the third infusion, another I felt miserable for almost 2 months. However, the trick there is that the actual drug very quickly leaves your system, only a couple days. After that, it's up to your body to do whatever healing it will do on its own and whatever you're feeling after those first few drug free days is the relapse recovery and not from the drugs. So don't expect it to "fix" anything. You may or may not have symptom relief.

Finally, you may be offered a "taper" which is a course of oral steroids after the IVSM is done. In theory, it helps come down off the large dose of steroids you've just taken. It's kind of controversial, with both doctors and patients debating their worth. Personally, I wouldn't take them. To me, it makes sense to reduce the icky side effects and risk associated with steroids by taking the minimum dose nessecary.

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/solu-medrol-solution.html

Comment

I've done SoluMedrol a few times. If needed, I'd have no reservations about doing them again. I normally start feeling better after a day or 2.

For me, I get elevated blood sugar, heart rate and blood pressure. I also tend to eat and drink more that can lead to weight gain, water retention and a temporary "moon face."

I also bruise easier than normal and may experience insomnia.

The good news is the steroids really calm down my flare up and it provides quick symptom relief.

I also always request they monitor my blood sugar and prednisone taper to help prevent a post-steroid crash.

Comment

Had first iv dose today!

Thank you everyone for your input. I went in expecting the worst and actually feel fine. The taste in your mouth is yucky! But thats it so far. Round 2 tomorrow, hoping for the same kind of day. That infusion place was kind of depressing...A lot of suffering people, it made me sad. Prayers for everyone! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X