No announcement yet.

tips on showering (heat, weakness, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been showering sitting on the shower floor for about 2 years now. It seems perfectly normal at this point. I also added sticker grips on the tub. Only 5 dollars for a whole bunch of them at Bed, Bath and Beyond, and they are awesome! The only part I have to be super vigilant about is getting in and out of the tub. That is the challenging part.

Comment

Originally posted by wendya432 View Post

So what do you do? I've gone to taking a shower every other day, but I'm not really a fan of that. I thought maybe of having a shower seat? Not sure if that would help?

What do people do to deal with this?
      Hope others weigh in with water temp ideas but I will say this: my life changed when I got a bath seat It was ridiculous how long I held out! Save your energy for something more important, is my motto. I position it right under the shower head so I don't have to hold anything while I sit, and it has a back and grippy handles and feet so I can bend forward safely. That, and multiple grab bars, has made all the difference for me.

Comment

I feel the same way and experience the same problem, it's not the heat....

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
        I find the pounding water on my skin just as tiring as the heat.

That's just it for me. I knew to take cool showers, I don't use high pressure, it seems like the water hitting my skin wears me out. I'm fine when I go in, can barely walk when I'm done and I take fast NAVY style showers too. It's not the heat. You're the first person that has said that, and it's what I've been thinking for awhile now. It's the pelting of water hitting my skin even though not hard. No one else seems to get that though so I still don't know. I know it's not the heat and it's not standing because I have a chair in mine. Ahhhhh!
        RIP Jenna's Beloved Momma
        Best MS Support System Ever
        7/42 - 12/12

Comment

Redid a bathroom with universal design- the shower controls have two levers- one that you set for your favorite temperature setting and the other level to turn on the water and manage the flow. Having a preset temperature is great.

Comment

I would highly recommend a shower chair/bench. I got one very reluctantly a couple of months ago for the same reason of shaving my legs. So much better now and I dont get as dizzy.

Krystine

Comment

shower seat, a necessity

I can still get to the "shower seat." I know soon I'll get one of those wheelchairs that goes into the shower. Our shower is big enough, that I will be able to use that. Do they sell those anywhere, where they don't cost a fortune.

I'm like you all. I've done without a lot, because it's all so expensive. I know my husband thinks that all I do is spend, spend, spend. But he has no idea of what I do without, in order to save a dime. Yes, I even pick up a nickel if I see it on the ground. I probaby should stop that though, because they my then need to retrieve me from the ground.

Comment

Shower seat is a must and grab bars in the shower. A hand held shower makes it much less work to get all of you wet. A long hose on the hand held is also very important. A very nice shower head is the Delta In2ition one, the hand held clips into the center of the head, almost like a "rain shower" head. Plenty of adjustments to the spray pattern. And it has a pause button to stop the flow without changing the temperature.
                Bill
                Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Also use the spray to run cold water on your feet and at the lower legs end of the shower. This is very effective to lower your body temp. Also the hands and arms.
                  Bill
                  Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

How whiffy can you be?
                    Showers are my nightmare. I have to psyche myself up for ages, and it's not that bad really.

Well actually, yes it is! I've got the shower seat, the no-slip mat, the cling rails, and I just dread it. Needs must when the devil farts in your duvet.

It's the whole getting undressed, getting wet, getting clean, drying off, getting dressed again routine. Towels are so heavy!

I'd be happy just to spray myself with Febreeze.

I remember my poor old Nana in the nursing home, standing there naked and trembling (yes thank you for that image that will haunt me until I die, nursing home staff).

Comment

3-1

I get the kids 3 in 1 shampoo/conditioner and body wash in one. It has cut down on time significantly. Herbal Essences has it too!

Comment

Ditto..Thinkmyjob!

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                        RRMS
                        Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

I suffer with Fibromyalgia and my Mum with MS and we both use or have used on us that Nilaqua water free stuff me in bed mum in her chair. It really helps when showering gets too much

Comment

Just went to make and order and thought the link to the Nilaqua website for the stuff i mentioned yesterday might help somebody

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

Working...
                            X