Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing myself and seeking help and hope—anti-fatigue medication

Hi everyone,

My name is Emily, and I have been reading posts here for awhile now, and wanting very much to post, but I was afraid—every time I started to introduce myself I would end up pouring out my heart, and I would get embarrassed.

So I promised myself I would try to brief and not too emotional.

I am 39 years old and I was diagnosed with relapsing remitting MS almost 8 years ago. I am married and I have a five year old daughter and up until this year I worked full time. I have never been symptom free since my first relapse, but for the most part the symptoms were liveable (even though if you’d asked me at the time I would have complained like crazy).

But things were going well enough so that I expected to get a promotion at work that would have made my job secure, and I had hoped then to go part-time so I could have another baby (my husband and I have always wanted two kids).

About 4 years ago I started having increased fatigue and cognitive problems, and I began to fall behind at home and at work. My then-neurologist put me on Ritalin, 5 mg twice a day, and then after a year 10 mg twice a day. It was like a miracle—I was able to catch up and then some.

I have had a few relapses, and one severe one in Fall 2011. I experienced the MS hug for the first time, and I began to have bladder and bowel problems, and I began to use a cane and then a wheelchair. It turned out I had a spinal cord lesion at C5. I was very lucky, and I recovered from the relapse, and with rest and PT I was able to walk on my own again after 4 months, and I got back on the 10 mg twice a day of Ritalin and continued at my former pace.

The story gets complicated here. I changed neurologists and treatments (from Betaseron to Tysabri)) after my Fall 2011 relapse, and Tysabri did not work out well for me, unfortunately. I was on it for six months and I got an infection every month, and I ended up hospitalized with a staph infection. When I got out of the hospital my neurologist took me off Tysbabri and I went back to work right away, but the 10 mg of Ritalin twice a day was no longer enough.

My neurologist then raised it to the maximum, 60 a day, in September 2012, and I was able to work, but I was jittery and I started having trouble sleeping at night and all my symptoms worsened. By February 2013 even with the high dose of Ritalin I was just too tired and in too much pain and too confused to keep working.

I switched neurologists again and my new neurologist put me on medical leave and on a break from Ritalin. I also began seeing a therapist and started an anti-depressant because for the first time since I was diagnosed with MS I found myself having a sense of hopelessness—if I can’t return to work in August I will lose my job.

I am 39 (it happened so fast!) and my husband and I are facing the fact that we probably won’t be able to have another child. The anti-depressant and my therapist have helped me so much—even though I feel fear and sadness it doesn’t possess me any more, and I am able to take joy in my sweet family and friends and my cat and the health I have.

So obviously I have lots of issues, and I am sorry for that long history. But it all leads up to this problem:

I am still plagued by fatigue. I know all of us are, and I feel silly complaining. But every single day I get hit with it, and about half the time it is so severe I have trouble even understanding how to complete an action. I will need to pick up my daughter from kindergarten, for example, and I will start to get ready but I will end up just going from room to room and I won’t be able to remember where I put her juice box or where I just put my keys or I will head out the door and realize I’ve forgotten my purse (if I have the juice box and keys).

My eyes start to droop and my vision starts to blur and I am worried about driving. This is just one example, but it is debilitating, and scary, and I am always calculating if I can manage to do something like go grocery shopping because what if it hits me while I am there?

I went back to my neurologist and told him about this, and he put me back on Ritalin, now at 40 a day, but it does not work any more. I went back again and asked if there was anything else, and he said that if I had trouble with fatigue Ritalin nothing was as strong as Ritalin.

So what I wanted to ask all of you is: Is this true? I keep thinking there may be something else out there for me, something, but I am stymied. I have another appointment with ANOTHER neurologist on June 3, but I wanted to go in this time with information from people with MS who can understand.

Can you help? Do any of you take medication for fatigue that you can recommend? Have any of you experienced a poop-out from an anti-fatigue medication and changed to another and have it work? I don’t expect to ever be fatigue-free, but I want so much to function better than I do, for my daughter and husband and maybe in the hopes of returning to my job.

Please let me know if you have any advice for me. I will be very grateful. And thank you so much for being there and for listening.

Emily (So sorry this is long. This is brief for me! My original one was 4 pages!).

And should I move this to the treatments category? I don't want to confuse anyone by mixing up protocol).

Thank you again, and I am looking so forward to meeting you all and talking with you--if I can stay awake long enough.

Welcome Emily: I am a couple of years older than you and have had MS a couple of years longer. I have not tried Ritalin for my fatigue, but have tried Amantidine and Provigil. Both worked a little bit. It seems when the MS fatigue wants to hit hard, it will, no matter what. But these are options to try instead of the Ritalin.

Ask about them, read about them. See what you think.

Good luck, hope you feel better!
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Lisa, thank you! I feel as giddy as a kid seeing my post and getting your kind reply.

I should have done this a long time ago. I am so glad I wrote. I have felt so, so lonely.

I will ask the neurologist about both those drugs on June 3. Thank you, and thank you for putting my post through.

Emily

Comment

Hi Emily

I can recall those overwhelming feelings of fatigue to the point of nodding off sitting up, it's a very disconcerting feeling.

Nuvigil and Provigil are 2 other possibilities for fatigue, as well as Alpha Lipolinic Acid (ALA) and ACA (I'm not sure what that stands for) but if you google ALA ACA and MS you should be able to find it. It's a holistic treatment for fatigue that you can get at the vitamin store and the dose will be higher than what's on the bottle.

In fact you can search it on the site and likely find the info or maybe someone will jump in and help out here.

I wanted to let you know that you're not alone. There are some excellent resources on this site. You can get some semblance of a life back, be patient and ask lots of questions on here.

Take care
        Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Anti-Fatigue "cocktail"

I was diagnosed 2 years ago (at 48) with acute onset, and I've gone downhill since then. The fatigue hit hard two months ago; I found myself arranging my day so I only had to walk up or down the stairs once. Bad.... Before diagnosis I was an extreme fitness junkie, Type A overachiever.

I have a "posse" of neurologists, psychiatrists and therapists whom I rely on heavily. One team treats my physical symptoms, the other takes on my despair and hopelessness.

I started on Provigil (then Nuvigil - damn drug companies keeping the price up near $700 a month) in 2007 due to hypothyroidism.

I started Copaxone in July 2011. The neurologist increased my Nuvigil to 350mg a day. After a major relapse In October 2012, from which I have not fully recovered, the fatigue kicked in.

Two weeks ago I had my first Tysabri infusion and started on Ritalin 15mg 2 X a day. If I want to be functional after 4 pm, I have to take a 3rd dose, at least 10mg.

I'm taking on the fatigue aggressively, because I hate it. I can handle the nerve pain, the bladder problems, the double vision, but I drew the line at fatigue. No.

Its only been two weeks, but I'm hoping the Tysabri reduces the fatigue and I can stop the Ritalin. In the meantime, I am doing everything the neurologist says, including taking lots of medication which cause their own side effects! (Tysabri plus Ritalin equals lurching gate where I walk like I'm on a cruise ship in a storm).

Bottom line: everyone makes their own decision about what they can handle, and what they cannot. For me, I'll take the pain (I don't like nerve pain medication), but not the fatigue.

Mermaid

Comment

hi Emily, I too am just joining this group and wanted to say hi.

Comment

fatigue

Emily: when I was first diagnosed, I wasn't sure how I'd keep working as I was falling asleep on the way in every morning. It was so bad that people would talk to me and I couldn't even muster the energy to reply.

I started with going gluten free. That was nothing less than a miracle for me. Then went vegan and then added LDN.

We are all different. This is just what works for me.

Fatigue is still my number 1 problem but it is better than it was.

(also on copaxone)

Best of luck

Comment

Emily, welcome to ms world...I am so glad that you took the gamble and posted. Fatigue is not one of my main symptoms (leg pain is), but during exacerbations fatigue hits hard so I understand a bit. My friend recently started Amprya but he said he doesn't notice it helping his walking but that it has really helped his fatigue. Check with your neuro...perhaps that might help a bit.

Best wishes....don't feel alone. I think we all come here for the community that this wonderful forum brings!

Comment

One more thing...

Hi Emily. It's me again. Another poster suggested a gluten free diet. Before being diagnosed with MS, I was desperate to figure out what was wrong with me. One thing I tried was a gluten free diet. At that time my fatigue was bad, my kids were still little and my husband would come home from work and I would be passed out on the couch and the girls would be watching Dragon Tails...or some other kids show on PBS. I had an immediate affect of removing gluten....my fatigue immediately improved within a week. I have been gluten free ever since...and this was back 6 years ago before there were so many GF options. It was one thing I could try on my own without a prescription!

Unfortunately, it didn't solve all my problems...I was DXD with MS a couple years later. It's an easy one to try on your own....and if you don't notice a change over a period of time, no harm done!

Comment

Hi Emily,

Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time, I can relate
                    I had good luck with provigil however, I found that taking it daily lessened the effect of it. I'd definately give it a try but remember to take it early in the day. It doesn't give you lots of energy but helps that "I'm so tired I need to sleep" feeling.

Hope you feel better soon!
                    FRAN4363

"What lies behind us and lies before us are tiny things compared to what lies within us"

Comment

Hello Emily,

I, too, suffer from debilitating fatigue, and my having to awake at 6:00 a.m. to get ready to teach a full load of classes is almost intolerable. My fatigue comes from the moderate to severe spasticity I experience. Try figuring out the cause of the fatigue because another MS symptom might being contributing to it. If a specific MS symptom contributes to your fatigue, then that symptom may need treatment. I do yoga and stretching and visit a physical therapist when a new symptom develops. Though my fatigue may not completely go away, the yoga and stretching help a lot. When I need to improve my ability to concentrate on, for example, assessing essays, I take Adderall, which is a stimulant.

MS fatigue creates barriers in life; however, fighting it improperly might make it worse. If you find yourself getting depressed from the fatigue, talk to your doctor. Your doctor might have information on exercise groups, telephone support groups, etc. I wish you and your family all the best, and you can be a good role model for other parents who need encouragement.

Comment

Hi Emily 74,

* Dr has let my try 2 fatigue drugs.
                        * First was Providgil.
                        * Second was Amantidene.

Providgle -YES it DID WORK..But I stopped it as soon as realized how much I was no longer myself. I became a robot version of my self.

Admantidne-No it has NOT helped my fatigue, any more than a good cup of coffee does. I should say ..coffee is not a helper either ..But id rather spend my hard earned money on something I enjoy than a pill that has no effect on my fatigue. the Dr keeps pushing it although I have told her it has no effect on me.

good luck to You!
                        by the way... fatigue is my number one problem as far as MS goes.
                        Number two is getting my people to understand its real!

peace out

Comment

Wow, I have been dealing with fatigue for a while never even new that there were RX for it. Diagnosed 3 days ago.

Comment

Hello. I am so thankful that when people have some energy they use it to share their stories. My fatigue is growing worse. I fall asleep at work, etc. I am not diagnosed with MS. Thanks for sharing what you have experienced.

Comment

Welcome

i just read your post, and enjoyed it very much. I have tried every med for fatigue! It is so frustrating, I know! Since you are on Ritalin, and it is fairly strong I would not even consider Nuvigil or Provigil! I have taken those, but they stopped working as my fatigue got worse! I now take Adderall, and it works unbelievably! It is a stimulant used for ADD. It not only keeps you awake, but helps you think clearer!

Talk to your doctor. A lot of doctors don't like this med, it can be very addictive! If you don't have That kind of personality you should be fine. I have been on 5 to 10 mg per day for the last three years and have never changed my dose and it still works!

I am 41 years old and have experienced some of the same things you are going through. I was diagnosed in Oct 2002. I went from RRMS to now Secondary Progressive. You would never have known I had MS at first. It wasn't until after I had my son I started getting worse little by little. I am now in a wheelchair, but I still stand transfer and believe it or not drive. My legs feel like two 1000 lb bricks!

My husband and I also wanted to have another child. I have a seven-year-old son who is my everything. But I think I'm going to just stick to having one, as my MS has gotten worse, and I don't know what would happen if I had another. Would love to chat more

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Working...
                              X