Disability and Fire Alarms at Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability and Fire Alarms at Work

My work recently conducted a test fire alarm. We were told because it was a test that those of us who have disabilities could leave early. Well, the fire alarm came early and we were forced to take the stairs. I'm still ambulatory, but definitely not able to do stairs. One lady has a broken leg and was made to walk on it down the stairs. I realize the importance is to get everyone out, but what about those who physically are unable to take the stairs. I felt as though I was reprimanded for complaining and was told this is the "real world." What if in the "real world" you can't use your legs. Then what? Any advice how to handle this situation?

I remember fire drills when I worked on the 17th floor, in a high rise building located in the deep south, no AC in the stair well, everyone in bussiness attire, etc., it was a mess. Even the able bodied complained, a few people from the higher floors over-heating and becoming faint.

Ignoring the evacuation needs of the working disabled is a problem in the evacuation plan, with the potential to put everyone at risk in an actual fire.

Then again, employer response could result in fewer disabled in the work place. The backlash of another problem disabled workers cause their employers.

Maybe a polite, anonymous letter to your workplace safety coordinator, fire department, local paper or tv station? A letter without identifying yourself as disabled, just an observation that got your attention?

Sorry I don't have an answer, but it's concerning and I hope this gets addressed with a positive outcome for everyone.

Comment

Where I worked

we had a system where anyone who needed help was assigned a 'buddy' (volunteers) who assisted where necessary during fire alarms. Of course, it was up to the employee to sign up for the assistance, but it was built into our emergency plan. Luckily, I was in a basement with ramp access to the dock area. Even so, I still had more offers of assistance than I needed. We had building deputies whose responsibility it was to double-check and make sure the less able were assisted.

Also, if you needed to attend a meeting in another building, you could call for assistance and someone would come pick you up and drop you off in a car or ATV. They really had it down to a science.

Perhaps you could suggest the company's emergency plan needs updating?

Comment

What about a real emergency?

The reason for fire drills is so that everyone knows what to do in a real emergency. Problems with the drill should be noted, and the company or building's plan modified to encompass solutions to those problems.

If you can't make it down those stairs for a drill, you won't be able to in case of a real fire. In most buildings, the elevators shut down when the fire alarm goes off.

It needs to be addressed as part of the evacuation plan.

Comment

WOW!. Just WOW.

This is an occupational health and safety issue.

Your floor warden should design a safe area for you to wait, and have help sent to bring pwd down safely.

This should all be planned in advance and probably on file with the fire dept.

It's not up to us to manage down stairs in a fire - there needs to be means and solutions put in place.

Comment

Working...
          X