Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working as a caregiver. Feel I have to give it up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working as a caregiver. Feel I have to give it up.

I am still in limbo. But whatever I have going on I feel I am getting worse. My current living situation and work is that I am a live-in caregiver. I don't have to do selfcare for my roommate but I do have to cook and clean.

I feel that my symptoms have been getting worse lately and I am afraid that I will have to leave. I want to leave because I'm afraid if I can't care for myself then how am I going to care for someone else. I love living with her and helping her out but I am afraid that if I don't leave soon I will get to a point where I will no longer be able to take care of her properly.

It's hard to go from being able to take care of yourself and someone who needs your help to not even really being able to do what you need to do for yourself.

Questions, comments, suggestions, helpful thoughts welcome.

~QStonr

Great you should continue what you feel is good for you.

Comment

I understand.

Also still waiting for diagnosis; also temporarily on hold as a foster family. My hand and arm weakness is not safe for a child. (knife slipped out of hand one day while chopping veggies for supper and we all know that if I had had a four year old in the house, he/she would have been "helping" beside me). Not to mention reduced mobility when hemiparesis hits. Frustrating, because of course if we are not working, we are not being "paid", and there's no such thing as short-term disability :-(.

However my mandate and passion is keeping kid's safe and nurtured, so it is what it is at the moment.

Comment

When we are lucky enough to see the writing on the wall, even if it isn't a welcome picture, I think it is important to come up with a Plan B and Plan C.

As soon as we realize there is a chance we might not be able to continue supporting ourselves in our present manner it is necessary to make adjustments and changes to find alternative ways to make an income. God, I hate this disease.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

I've talked to her and i'm going to be moving out in mid June. I'm going to be living with my boyfriend and his family. This will be a good move for both of us. Giving us time to work on ourselves and things we've been wanting to work on.
          Thanks for all your responses.

Comment

Yes ...

unfortunately this hit fast, hard and just as I was figuring out Plan B. At this point, I wouldn't hire me :-(.

QUOTE=Jules A;1411639]When we are lucky enough to see the writing on the wall, even if it isn't a welcome picture, I think it is important to come up with a Plan B and Plan C.

As soon as we realize there is a chance we might not be able to continue supporting ourselves in our present manner it is necessary to make adjustments and changes to find alternative ways to make an income. God, I hate this disease. [/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
            X