Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New!

Hello all,

Thought I should introduce myself, and give thanks to the book "People with MS with the Courage to Give" on steering me to this wonderful site.

My name is Tatiana, I'm 33 years old, and just found out in Feb 2013 that I have rrms. Honestly, it may sound sad, but I was actually relieved when my doctor told me. At that time it was 2 years of major pain in my neck and shoulders, major neck muscle stiffness, and on/off numbness in my fingers. Several x-rays, blood tests, and random tests showed I was healthy, and it felt like my doc was looking at me like I was a liar. I've been to chiropractors, massage therapists, acupuncturists, a sports medicine doctor, and lastly a physical therapist, and it wasn't until her did she finally say "hey, you should go get an MRI". Thank goodness for the therapist! Got the MRI, and now here I am.

From what I understand, the pain in my neck is happening because my myelin is all "broken" up. Unfortunately, he said there was no way to pin point when this started because I've never had any of the major symptoms. Loss of vision, loss of feeling in my limbs that last longer than a day, and my hearing has also been fine. So, my thing is what haven't I been noticing that was happening to break up my myelin, and will it ever "heal"?? The "will it ever heal" question that still is driving me crazy!

My neurologist, Dr Cohen, said it looks as if we caught this early, and started me on Copaxone which I've been taking ever since. I use the autoject which is honestly the only reason why I've not had any issues with the shot. So glad they made that device, and things have been pretty good so far... can't complain too much.

I'm surprised to see how many people that this disease has affected. Before this, I can't say I've known anyone with
    MS... now, I told a few co-workers, told a few close friends, and I found that 6 right off the bat also have this disease. That being said, I'm so glad I've been "open" with it. All these people have sat and talked with me, friends of friends have called me, and my co-workers best friend is that one that sent me the book that led me here. I think that is really why my "why me" stage only last a few days. Such an out-pour of support! I never realized it before but I'm truly blessed, and thankful for sites like these that offer support, kindness, and can help answer questions! So, thank you!

Welcome to the boards. Your post is one of the most positive posts that I've read, here. Hope to hear from you often. Good luck

Comment

Welcome! MS World is a great place! Lots of support and information
      dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Hi Tatiana and welcome to MSWorld!! And thank you for sharing and bringing your positive outlook to us! I hope that this will always continue for you... It sounds like you have a wonderful support system in place and we are here to offer that as well

When I was finally dx, with 10 years of being in limbo, I was also relieved! I armed myself with as much information as I could which was so helpful, but I wish that I had known about this wonderful forum back then.

Again, welcome and hope to see more of your posts. Come back often to visit and keep yourself in wellness
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Tatiana,
          I just realized that you said your neurologist is Dr. Cohen.
          Is he the same Dr. Cohen from the Cleveland Clinic? Are you in the 'Stem Cell' trial?

Comment

Welcome and hugs Tatiana~glad you found us!!

I can identify with the feeling of "relief" or an answer to what has been bothering you for so long. I too had chiropractic help for MS hug only I didn't know that was what it was. It helped for a long time, but then I noticed his treatments did not hold longer than a day.

Did your doctor think this is spasticity? And do you have the meds for that? I have it in my legs with spasms, but now also in my middle back and neck too. I take RX Diclofenac for my lower back spinal stenosis, so that med along with Baclofen helps. I cannot take the full doses or I am off balance, and too drowsy.

Just be prepared as MS is different for each of us, and likes to offer surprises as I like to look for it.

Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Warmly, Jan
            I believe in miracles~!
            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Hello all and thank you for the wonderful replies!

Funny thing. I was so positive the day I posted, and yesterday/today I feel like I can fall asleep at my desk. Scary how quickly it hits! I will talk to my doctor about the fatigue when I see him next. Might even place a call because I don't think it's for another 3 months.

Jerry, to answer your question; I'm a patient of Dr. Bruce Cohen @ Northwestern in Chicago. I'm not 100% if that is the same doctor as you mentioned, but I do know he's on a ton of MS committees all over the place.

Jan, my doctor was more concerned with getting me ON the Copaxone right away. Haven't even really talked about the pain in my neck as the pain started going away once I started taking B-12.

Just curious, he had me start taking Vit D in addition to the B-12. Do ya'll get really hot when you take that too.. or is it just me?
              Tatiana

Comment

Hi Tatiana
                Did you have brain and cervical MRI? I am very interested, I had neck pain severe which led me to cervical neck surgery but now we think my pain came from m.s. and that is making my long story short.

Comment

Working...
                X