No announcement yet.

Lasik Eye Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post! What a mixed bag of replies, and such well thought out responses.

I HATE wearing glasses, but I don't know if I'm ready for this. My neuro. said M.S. would not mean I couldn't get Lasek, BTW. He wears Coke bottles and I said I noticed he obviously had not opted to lose his own glasses, and all he said was that his brother had it and there have been improvements made in the surgery since then (whatever that mens).

My eye doctor says he wears contacts, but if he really had Lasek, why would he admit it? He might lose business and I'm sure he enjoys his BMW and putting his kids through Ivy League colleges!
    Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Deemaxx1 View Post
      I'm seriously thinking of having lasik eye surgery. I have been wearing contacts/glasses for about 25 yrs. I do not have optic neuritis it any problems w my eyes except terrible vision. Has anyone w MS had it done? I'm concerned about flare ups. I have RRMS and have had no new symptoms since being dx in 2006.
      Hello
      No association has been shown between MS and LASIK. LASIK is a procedure that is performed on the 0.5 mm surface of the eye. MS is a central nervous system disease and the reason it can affect the eyes is because the optic nerve is part of the central nervous system. Though it is possible to have optic neuritis after having LASIK, it would be hard to imagine how one could relate to the other. The only thing to consider is that if someone already has had optic neuritis, their vision potential after LASIK will be limited. Hope this helps.

Email deleted Per Guideline #2. PERSONAL INFORMATION: Do not post/exchange your personal information (i.e. e-mail address, phone number, or home address, etc.) in the main chat room or in the message boards.

Comment

Has anyone else noticed an increase in advertising for Lasek? It is becoming more affordable, apparently. After we get my daughter in her braces, I think both me and my husband should seriously look into it. I am going to be 50 soon, so I would be grateful for even a 5-10 year stint of decent vision.

Commercials are touting no cutting, just a laser, but not sure if that even means anything. Maybe just psychologically it does.

I do think I would go to the neuro-optomologist initially, though. I do think this surgery is going to become more common-place. Maybe one day glasses and contacts will go the way of the 8-track!
        Tawanda

Comment

The era of cheap Lasik came and went about 10 years ago. And with so many people having Lasik then that's when all the problems showed up. I think if you google something like "bad Lasik" you'll find out why it won't be replacing glasses and contact lenses any time soon. I think it might be less popular than it was. It doesn't stop eyes from changing and the eyes can only be operated on once or twice. I know of several people who had Lasik who were back in glasses within about 5 years. I'm glad I never had it done.

Comment

I have already had MS since 2000 and had ON 2 times. I had Lasik Surgery and feeling comfortable now.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexzander View Post
              I have already had MS since 2000 and had ON 2 times. I had Lasik Surgery and feeling comfortable now.
              How long ago? What was your experience like? Do you still have reading glasses? Thanks
              Tawanda

Comment

Working...
              X