Joining the conversation :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joining the conversation :)

Hello! I am relatively new here and have spent my time lurking, so it is time for an introduction!

On July 26th, 2012, I had a bad headache and noticed that my vision was a little gray in my left eye. By the next morning, I was blind in my left eye and I was in the ER/meeting with an opthamologist learning about optic neuritis. I was very lucky in the coming weeks that I was able to get an immediate appt. with a neuro and quick steroids, MRI, and LP, and by August 27th, I was diagnosed with definite MS.

I had never experienced any symptom previous to my optic neuritis (which is still healing every day, and my vision is about 95% recovered, Praise God!) so this whole process has been out of nowhere for me. Not to mention, the onset on ON was less than three months before my wedding! I even asked my neuro at our first meeting if it could be possible that I stressed myself into blindness--wedding planning can be that way

I started avonex right after my October wedding, but two weeks ago abandoned the needles for Tecfidera. I feel so spoiled because I only had needles for 5 months, but I feel so blessed to have been diagnosed at a time when there seems to be invaluable amounts of resources available. I know MS patients before me have not been so lucky.

I love tecfidera so far, minimal side effects, definitely about 10 minutes of flushing. Last Saturday morning in a rush, I took it without eating breakfast, and had some serious abdominal pain, but that did not last long either.

I am happy to have finally formally introduced myself. This board has taught me so much and I started lurking here from the first mention of MS 9 months ago. Everyone is so welcoming and there is a great deal of knowledge and support here. I look forward to staying a part of this community, if we have to deal with this "thing" we might as well do it together.

Grace and Peace!
    VTHokie09

Welcome VT! It's nice to meet you. Your episode of ON leading to a dx sounds like mine. I got the dx within 2 days and started Avonex soon afterwards, but it was many years ago. My vision never fully recovered, but I can live with that.

Congratulations on you wedding and good luck with Tecfidera. I'm sure you've been reading all the post in the tecfidera forum and I hope it works well for you! Hope to see more of your posts.

Again, welcome and take care
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi VTHokie09

Welcome! Nice to read about someone diagnosed so quickly and on meds! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and glad you joined us! Take care
      Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Congratulations

On your upcoming nuptials lots of stress indeed.
        Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

welcome! That is nice that you only had needles for 5 months!! I took Rebif for about 8 years but will be starting Tecfidera in a couple of days. Best of luck!
          dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Hi and welcome! Lots of support, encouragement and info here! Please keep us posted on your progress.
            Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Hi and welcome,

And congratulations on getting married!

Comment

Ditto!

May I please send my congratulations on your upcoming marriage?! And sorry you have to be here, but it's a less lonely, much more understanding place than the rest of the world is sometimes. The very best to you and your Future Spouse! Good Health and Love to All, Eli(sheva)

Comment

Hello. Your diagnosis is like mine it started with optic neuritis in jan and lead to a diagnosis in feb. my vision also is still improving (thank goodness). My question is it's been four months now since the optic neuritis and its still improving. I would say I'm about 80% back to normal( still dim , blurry and colors are off) how long did it take for yours to fully recover?

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome

Thank you all for the welcome! I hope to further link into this community, so much support! My wedding was actually October 20th, 2012--2 months after I was diagnosed but he didn't run away so we are enjoying newlywed life and loving it. I am blessed to have him, he gave me all my shots because I was too chicken. Certainly an unusual first 6 months of marriage for us!

Meburnett-- my vision is absolutely still improving. My neuro (now former neuro, new doctor in July!) told me at about 6 months that I would probably peak in any improvement but that has not been the case. I pray you continue to heal.

Comment

Hello and Welcome VTH!
                      When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Working...
                      X