New Here :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here :)

Hi, I was diagnosed with MS in 2005, just 11months after the birth of my first son. I presented with numbness on my right hand, forearm, thigh and foot. After a lot of questioning and medical history, my neuro and I were fairly sure that I had begun having symptoms 10 years before at the ripe old age of 18. My MRI had a lot of lesions, most of which were old. I started Rebif and 6 months later, I had a great report from my first follow up MRI. 2 weeks later, I had an attack of Nystagmus. IV steroids resolved that.

November 2006, I was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma localized to my clavicle. I discontinued Rebif in order to do chemo. Over the next 11 months, I completed 6 rounds of vincristine, cytoxan (my dosage was as high as the hicyer's, but it was only 1 dose every 6 weeks) adriamycin/dactinomyacin and that alternated with 6 rounds of ifosfomide and etoposide. I took chemo every 21 days, they just did VAC on 1 day and 3 weeks later i did one week of IE. that repeated 6 times- I had surgery after 4 rounds to remove my clavicle and then completed 8 more after I healed from the surgery. I completed treatment in 2007 and waited 6 months before getting back on dmd's. After a clean MRI, We decided to try copaxone and I quickly grew to hate daily shots. I did not take them daily as I should.

I discontinued treatment less than a year later in hopes of conceiving another child, even though I was in menopause due to the chemo. After trying to conceive for well over a year, unsuccessfully, my reproductive endocrinologist ran a lot of tests and broke the news that I had less than a 1% chance of ever conceiving a baby using my own eggs. 6 weeks later, God showed them all who was in charge when I naturally conceived . Our little miracle was born at 36 weeks and is a little package of dynamite!

6 months after his birth, I had an attack. The back of my head went numb. It resolved without meds in 24 hours, but scared me enough to resume copaxone... just not for long. I fell off the wagon after a few months.

I just had my second MRI since completing chemo 6 years ago. No activity at all on either. I have some old plaques, but nothing new. Nothing has any signal and many of my old lesions have disappeared. My neuro asked me how much longer I was going to roll the dice and stay unmedicated. I decided to try tecfidera.... waiting for approval from my insurance now. I also have plaque psoriasis and hope it will give some relief there.

I still have my original symptoms from before I did chemo-some paresthesia in my right hand, fatigue, floaters in my vision, overactive bladder, foot drop and Uhtoff's phenomenon. A few symptoms went away and have stayed gone, but nothing new. At this point, I would be beyond grateful if I just stayed at this level. That is a tremendous change from when I was diagnosed in 05 and was stuck in the 'unfairness' of it all. Sarcoma put that in perspective.

I have had the genetic testing through 23andme (part of the research group for sarcoma) and have several risk factors for MS due to a couple of SNP's.

Thanks for reading this long, story and I look forward to being a part of this group! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Wow tootie, you have been through the 'ringer' and out the other side. Your courage is commendable. Welcome to the boards.

Comment

Thank you Jerry!

Comment

WELCOME TOOTIE!!!!!!!!!!!!. Great to have you here, but sorry why. You certainly have gone through a lot! We are glad you found us! Good luck
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hello and WelcomeTootie!
          When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Working...
          X