Possible MS and looking for Been There, Done That input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible MS and looking for Been There, Done That input

Hi, my name is Brooke, and I'm a wife, mother of 2, and am about to be evaluated for MS later next month.

I'm going to see a neurologist May 21st, and in the meantime, kind of wanted just to pick the brains of those who have MS. Either to set my mind at ease, or let me know I'm headed in the right direction.

Here's my issue:
    I've had bouts of vertigo and being "off balance" off and on for years, but I usually attributed it to having a sinus infection or something along those lines. Well, in the past few months I've had 3 bouts of vertigo, which is much more frequent than I used to have it (maybe 1x ever year or so). In each case, there was no evidence of ear or sinus infection. They all follow the same course: One day of intense room spinning with any head motion (up, down, left, right, turning a corner, rolling over), followed by a few days of just sort of feeling like you're leaning left or right, and just having general balance troubles, and then gradually subsides over the course of 2-3 days. Well, this last/third bout has lasted 4 weeks, as of tomorrow. Started off with intense vertigo while lying on my back in Pilates class, and it was so bad, I had to have a friend drive me home, and actually got sick.

At first, I was just going to wait it out, but after over a week of only minor improvement, I went to see the doctor. I was convinced it was BPPV, as was my doctor, and so after peeking in my ears and nose to rule out anything like an infection, she sent me to the PT for Epley Maneuvers. PT was convinced it was the same thing...until we'd tried Epley and a few other BPPV maneuvers twice, and I was still having issues, and not just when I looked down or held my head a certain way. Sometimes it's even just walking straight, I'll suddenly kind of veer left or right, and then have to correct myself. At that point the PT said she thinks it might be neurological, and to consult with a neurologist. Since then, it's mostly just been a sort of drunken Jack Sparrow issue. Now it's almost gone, except for once in a while, but I'm starting to wonder about it being part of a larger pattern.

Well, here's what has me wondering if it could, possibly, be MS:

1. While Vertigo isn't generally listed as a major symptom of MS, I've seen TONS of people describe it as what tipped them off something was wrong, leading to diagnosis. And it's not always spinning - sometimes it's just a vaguely off-kilter feeling, or walking, and suddenly kind of losing my balance to the left or right, and having to take a stutter step to regain balance.

2. I have also been diagnosed by a geneticist with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (Classic type), and there is at least one study suggesting there is an increased chance (10-11x) of developing MS if you have EDS.

3. I have dealt with things like odd pins and needles and sensations almost like a pin was jabbing me in various body parts for years. Almost daily. Doesn't correspond with positions you generally think of as causing a part to fall asleep. For example, I'll just be sitting on the couch, or lying flat in bed and my toes or fingers will start sparking up with that pins and needles feeling, or I'll get a feeling like someone is poking me with a pin in various parts of my body (arm, leg, etc.). It never really occurred to me until now that this could be something to be concerned about. I just found it really, really annoying when it happens. I'm not overweight or out of shape, so it really shouldn't be anything along those lines.

4. In the past couple years I've noticed that I will sometimes drop things I *think* I have a good grip on. Generally I have a good grip, but then suddenly, plop, whatever it is is on the floor, and I'm not sure how it happens. But I haven't noticed anything like paralysis. Everything works - I just lose my grip. Vegetable Peeler, shampoo in the shower, kitchen knife (yeah, I know, right?)

5. I'm losing words left and right. Frequently, I'll be talking to someone and I just cannot come up with the next word, and I'll have to pause for several seconds. Sometimes it comes to me, sometimes it doesn't. I'm also starting to catch myself meaning to type one word, and instead typing a different, but similar word (that may make NO sense in the sentence). It's like my brain can't find the word I want so it just substitutes a different one.

6. Geneticist noted that I have highly exaggerated deep tendon reflexes when she was doing her physical exam on me. PCP noted the same thing when I was at an OB appointment years ago (I didn't remember that, but my husband did, and reminded me). Doesn't bother me (that I've noticed), but I did see it listed as something sometimes associated with MS. It was apparently of enough note for the geneticist to put it in her report on my EDS diagnosis.

7. Even when it's warm out, I've noticed that when I'm walking any decent distance, one or both big toes, and the pad of my foot where my big toe attaches will go numbish. Not to the point that i can't feel it at all, but sort of asleep feeling. Sensation always comes back, but it's something I've noticed as odd over the past couple years.

8. I've had at least two occurrences in the past year where I had really, really odd vibration/electrical shock sensations in my limbs. One was, randomly, my arm felt like it's vibrating. Honestly, the best description is it feels like there's a cell phone on vibrate, but IN my arm. So very weird. The other was feeling like there was an electrical shock going up my shin every time I stepped. That may just have been some kind of pinched nerve, but it did happen twice in the past 12 months.

9. My doctor noticed a tremor in my hands about a year ago, but she was about to put me on beta blockers for POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome - also stemming from EDS), so coincidentally, the tremor is fairly regulated with the beta blockers. I still see it crop up now and then - especially when I'm really fatigued. It can be quite annoying - especially when I sing in a choral setting, and have to hold my folder for a while. It can be hard to hold the folder still after a while because of the shaking (and it's not nerves).

Now, I am not totally convinced I have MS. I do realize that each of these things can be a symptom of any number of things - including just being a tired mom, or even just my EDS, BUT taken together, it's starting to make me wonder, and my husband, who is usually my biggest source of reality checks, and quick to tell me if he thinks I'm being overly anxious about something, is also concerned. As he put it, "As I'm reviewing the mental video tape of our 13 years together, I'm starting to see a pattern, and think you might have MS." (he has a co-worker who has MS, so he's seen some similarities)

I thought it might be helpful to ask those who have "been there, done that" and see if I'm just being silly, or if this sounds familiar to any of your stories of early diagnosis.
    J. Brooke Chao
    Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome

Jennebrooke: Welcome to the site! I have had MS for 9 years and have gone through many of the disease modifying drugs. After reading through your symptoms you have a lot that could be MS like, but they could be other things too. there are about 400 other MS mimickers. Some are as simple as vitamin deficiencies. Your neurologists will test you for these things.

The good news is you are being tested for MS and it is fairly easy to test for in terms of MRIs etc. It can get complicated if results are on the fence but your doctor will go through all that with you. Most of us who have been diagnosed for a while where clearly MSers per our MRIs. I know this from an open survey done on here by a poster not long ago.

If your MRI's are not clearly "consistent with MS", you may have to go through secondary testing like nerve conduction testing, VEP (eyes), SSEP (arms and legs), BAER (CNS vs PNS-ears). An LP may be needed. Although it is not specific to MS, it can rule out other diseases that may cause lesions in the brain if you have some that are non-specific.

I wish you luck. Depending on your MRIs, it can be a fast or slow process. Google the McDonald 2010 diagnosis for MS. That will show you the guidelines for diagnosing MS today.

As far as knowing what things are MS symptoms, MS symptoms last more that 24 hours, are constant, and do not recur for at least another month. This is considered an exacerbation.

Random symptoms like numbness in the heat can occur in a lesser amount of time and is known as Uthoff's phenomenon, or sign and occurs in MS. It is where symptoms of MS temporarily get worse in the heat, but improve when in cool places.

I hope your workup goes quickly.
    Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thanks, Lisa! I really appreciate you weighing in. I'll definitely keep you posted about what happens with the doctor visit in May.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep a diary of any symptoms to see if any patterns emerge. The vertigo seems to have all but abated, so it may be that whatever was was causing the vertigo finally resolved on its own, or that it's MS and going into remission. We'll see.

I'll check out the McDonald criteria you mentioned.
      J. Brooke Chao

Comment

Hi Jennbrook!

I started out having vertigo and was put on all sorts of meds and sent to a ENT dr, In 2010 it all started for me, I took a leave of abscense from my job for 2 mths. Went back to work for 4 more mths was OK until in May the verti go started up again I told my primary dr something was wrong so she sent me for an MRI which showed lesions on my brain neck and spine. Sent me to a neuro and he sent me for a spinal tap ( which is the best way to determine MS) and it came back positive for MS.

Anyway, I started on rebif and went back to work up until July 2012 when the cognitivness and the balance was getting too hard for me to work, I was making mistakes and taking sick days. I have since been approved for SSDI and LTD and have had to stop working. Not sure how old you are I am 55 but please get testing from the neuro and I hope they don't find that you have MS. Please let us know what the dr said and take care of yourself, pace yourself, I know it's hard when you have kids but you must take time for yourself. Good Luck!
        Maggienor

Comment

Hi, Maggie! Thanks for chiming in!

I'm 39, and while a diagnosis wouldn't be great, I got diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos last year, so, in a way it's good that I've already had to kind of deal with the "pacing" issue with that. Saying no to things when I need more rest time, and the importance of eating right, resting when needed and staying active as I can (within reason). I feel like EDS has put me a little ahead of the curve on that front.

Thankfully I have a very supportive husband who has helped me in that regard by taking on certain responsibilities that I normally would have taken care of, but really would have been too much (specifically, becoming PTA treasurer), and being quick to point out when he thinks I'm overdoing it, or am about to overdo it, but without being pushy about it.

I work from home, as a freelance graphic and web designer, so that is also a great help. Hubby is the primary earner, and my income is just "gravy" so I have the option of pacing there, and taking on as much or as little work as I feel I can handle, and we'll be ok.
          J. Brooke Chao

Comment

Hi Jennbrooke

My first symptom began with vertigo and that tilting ship feeling you described. I found it was especially bad in the grocery store. Anyway, 22cyclist is a great resource as are several other folks, overall, this a great place to make friends, vent, cry, ask questions or just to surf.

Yes, you have a long road as MS seems to be a disease of what's ruled out in a sense. I got lucky compared to others, from the time I finally went to the doctor to complain about vertigo, 5 months had gone by (I had other sx's but the vertigo really sticks). Once I saw my PCM to diagnosis was 6 months, so 11 months is short in terms of diagnosis.

Sadly, or stupidly, I am an RN, I knew something was wrong, but I wanted to ignore what could be, until it could no longer be ignored.

I wish you the best of luck to a speedy diagnosis.
            Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks, Melissa!

My initial appointment has been moved to May 28th, but I'll definitely check in after I talk to the neuro and see what he thinks.

My geneticist did say that she went back to look at my MRI from last year (to rule out Chiairi) and said she didn't see anything suspicious, so at least we know there wasn't anything showing up as of last spring. That should at least serve as a pretty good baseline for comparison for any further MRIs.
              J. Brooke Chao

Comment

Working...
              X