New Here, and Looking for Info!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here, and Looking for Info!

Hi! My name is Brooke and I'm will be going through the process of being evaluated for MS in the coming month.

I am a wife and mother of 2 (ages 10 and almost 7), and have also been diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, which is a connective disorder that is thought to come with an increased risk of MS.

While I'm not looking forward to the testing, I'm happy to get to know you all while I go through the investigative, and possibly, diagnosing process.
    J. Brooke Chao
    Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome

Hi Jenn,
    glads you found us but sorry that you needed to find us. Make sure you get your doctor to test your vitamin D, B-12 and magnesium levels. Don't accept an answer of ' they look OK' ! Get the numbers from the tests. Good luck

Comment

Thanks, Jerry! I'll add that to the list of things to check on! I take daily multivitamins, so I wouldn't think that would be the case, but it doesn't hurt to check in case there's a.

The good thing is the place I'm going uses an online medical info system where I am alerted and can log in and see all test results as soon as they come in. So I'll have exact numbers for any test result.
      J. Brooke Chao

Comment

Hi, Jenn, welcome!

I have Ehlers-Danlos too! When I was a kid I used to freak the other kids out by showing how far I could stick out my tongue and also by making my fingers do weird things.

I'm new here too and just diagnosed and trying to learn about everything.

Comment

Welcome! For good info you can go to the website of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society www.nmss.org. There's lots of info about MS and how its diagnosed and how to live with it.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks, MSLorrie and MSer102!

MSLorrie - So nice to run into a fellow EDSer! I'm sorry you're dealing with a new diagnosis, but hopefully we two zebras can help one another.

MSer102 - I'll definitely check that link out. Thanks!
            J. Brooke Chao

Comment

HI BROOKE, WELCOME!!!!!!great to have you here! I'm glad you found us. Any time you have a question just ask, the members here are very helpful. Again welcome! Good luck
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hi and welcome!
                Jen
                RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I'm sure we can help one another, I already have gotten

So much reassurance here! I hope someday I can give something back but I'm so new at this and have a lot of learning to do before I can be helpful to anyone.

Right now I'm just a needy newbie, LOL!

I'm determined to have a good life in spite of this disease!

I was put in casts from the hips down as a baby. Doc said I'd never walk. I later became a long distance runner and an Airborne soldier. I am a fighter!

I bet you are, too!

Comment

That I am. My dad always used to caution me to fight for the right things, instead of just fighting. LOL

I had a similar experience as a baby - no cast - but I'd had failure to thrive and they told my mom I wouldn't live to see 1 and if I did, I wouldn't walk, because I was too weak. Of course, that makes so much more sense now that I know I had EDS all that time. Of course I was a floppy baby! And like you, I proved them all wrong. I am also somewhat of a runner, and hope to continue, although I stick to the lower distances like 5K.
                    J. Brooke Chao

Comment

Wow! I envision the two of us with matching tshirts

That say, "the fighting zebras" lol!

We've had struggles early in life and we went on to enjoy life, and I am sure we will enjoy life in spite of whatever struggles may lie ahead!

Comment

Hi and welcome, though sorry you have to be here.

I'm a mom too, to two boys aged 3.5 and 9 months.

Good luck with your testing! Now I'm off to google the disorder you've already been DX'd with.
                        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

What the what? I'm hypermobile.
                          Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Hello and Welcome Brooke!
                            When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Working...
                            X