Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing Myself, moving to SPMS?

Hi,
    So Happy to find you all, and of course sad if you are here, not wanting to be. I don't want to be; my whole life ironically (am in mid 50's) has been about helping others, both in paid work, at a Children's Hospital, in Child Life Dept., and in volunteering, from age 5! (March of Dimes, back in the day when a 5 yr. old could safely walk around the neighborhood! My Mother couldn't do it, as my Brother was an infant.)

Ironically, the last person I delivered Holiday meals to was a Woman, Lovely, who had movement left only in her thumb. She was thrilled to talk, and joined the Local Art Museum Talk Group for people who could not get to the exhibits.

After (difft. periods) optic neuritis, 21 straight days of severe dizziness, neurogenic bladder, partial loss of hearing, tremors, balance issues, winding up on scooter, pure exhaustion, restless leg, PN, etc., all from late 90's to 2000, I had the usual tests; but I'm allergic to Gadolinium, have scoliosis so badly it's hard to do the punctures, or see anything! So CSF, those evoked potential tests, other tests, symptoms, wound up w/ my Neuro's Neuro in training crying when she dx'd me w/ RRMS. I then had a bad experience w/ Copaxone (lasted 6 mo.), so my treatment then was the 3 days (home, thank goodness) of IV Solumedrol, every three months?? I cannot remember.

It's been a long, long time since I have "dealt" w/ my MS: I have other AIs, I can give out a disease list, but I don't think of myself this way; I still, in my dreams, drive (eyesight not good, reaction time not so either, and colorblind!), dance, run around, work, etc. I still hold out hope that will happen! Hey! I got back to walking in mid 2000's, though am on walker and in wheelchair on bad days. (Really bugs me that we traded in my SUV w/ scooter fitting, etc.!)

My Husband is my Best Friend (since H.S.!!), he even reminded me of this site: I have sort of jumped back in, because it seems I have SPMS, no breaks, everything worse, and all of a sudden too, all at once. But it's NOT as bad as I have seen, so I am here to learn, I hope to do more helping; and maybe someone even lives down this way in S.E. Florida!

We have two grown Daughters, three Grandchildren right up the road, living w/our Oldest Daughter and her Husband; and the two other "Loves" of my Life are my "service" Pug, and my new "service" Chihuahua, a puppy!

Sorry if that was boring, or same old, same old, but I figure it helps "place" me, whatever that means! (And I too, was so sad and scared watching the UTube w/ Annette Funicello.

If I had one question it would be what do women take (prefer) for what is now, in last few months, total urinary incontinence? I have a Urologist to see, years ago used Oxytrol patches for far less, but I have been so blessed that there really were several years w/o much going on, except a lot of optic neuritis in my right eye.

I see my Neuro in June, but am thinking of trying to get in earlier. Thanks for reading; I DO hope to help MUCH more than write about myself! Be Well, Elisheva

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

So Sorry so long

Please forgive my too long post; I complain to my Husband I cannot read well anymore. I think, as I wrote in another thread I have lost my social skills: So I never know what to say.

In any case, only short, and shorter than what I tried to write about really actually feeling isolated.

I am still so grateful to be here, and will remind myself every time I come how I feel about LONG!

Thanks for the gentle reminder.

Be well to All, Eli (sheva)

Comment

Hi Eli and welcome!!

You post is not too long!! We will always encourage you to write from your heart and write what you must!! (The note given was only letting you know that your paragraphs were shortened to make it easier reading - and NOT because you post was too long )

I'm glad you found your way to MSWorld and it's nice to meet you and hear about your sweetheart of a husband, kids and grandkids! I married my college friend after many years of going our separate ways ~ he's a sweetheart too

I also have SPMS, but mine came on gradually. WC and walker on bad days too... We do what we can when we can - right? The only upside of SP is that there are no longer flare-ups (for me anyway)

Please come back often and share your journey and don't be shy about writing long posts!! - OK? And thanks for sharing some of your journey here
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I am almost in tears, so thankful to you!

Dear Seasha,
        Talk about (my) not so great timing! While you wrote the kindest reply, I was writing the Moderators to say I was (am) sorry, and thanking you all for all of this.

Of course I assumed () that I must have done something wrong, or not read Guidelines closely enough! Should have thought of my own reading problems!!

Your reply made me feel so much less alone. I never expected the SPMS; that is because I didn't educate myself enough.

I hope you have no exacerbations; that is how it is with me, unless I get a fever type virus. Then the world is topsy turvy!

Thank You again. You are so kind. Take care.
        Sincerely, Eli(sheva)

Comment

Hi Elisheva Bloom

Welcome!! your post is not tooooo long and it is interesting, not boring I like when someone introduces themselves with their MS history ...

I don't have 'total' incontinence, but it does seem to come and go like a 'flare'. I take oxybutynin 5 mg on a prn (whenever necessary) basis. I also use poise pads and carry an extra pair of undies in a baggie in my purse in case of an accident... I change them.

Nice to meet you and hear of a husband that's a great friend and has 'hung in there'..give him an extra hug .

take care
          Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by Elisheva Bloom View Post
            I think, as I wrote in another thread I have lost my social skills: So I never know what to say.
            )
            Me too! Seriously.

Welcome, though
            Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Hi Eli,

I am also 50ish ...Lol. I am going into 24 yrs living with MS. I am married to my best friend too - we met in high school.

It has become harder to walk and just do things in the last 3-4 yrs. I use walking aids now.

I'm kind of new to this site and I enjoy it for the information and the friendliness.
              Karen

Comment

Hi there, Eli,

Welcome! I enjoyed reading your post. I feel like I'm losing my social skills, but more because I don't have a lot to talk about. I don't get out much anymore.

I am SP, and moved into it pretty fast. I thought I was done with relapses, but last year had a couple of really bad ones. (They were sparked by a couple of surgeries). The MS took advantage of the opportunity to progress and I spent months in inpatient rehab. It was further complicated when I fell in rehab and broke my hip. Needless to say, it was a BAD year.

I lost my ability to walk after I broke my hip. After more months of rehab, I can walk a little with my walker. My hip and upper thigh can sometimes still flare with pain, which curtails my ability to walk. Sometimes I feel like that dark cloud just won't stop following me.

I also had several UTI's last year, two turned into sepsis. I have urge incontinence, but was still retaining enough for the infection to start. I finally went to a urologist, had the urodynamics testing to confirm my neurogenic bladder, and started self-cathing. I haven't had any UTI's since I started and it helps control my incontinence.

The world is topsy turvy for me too if I get a fever. Heat didn't bother me for quite a long time, then bam. Now I can't move if I get a fever. I get a little nervous when my family gets a bug now.

Speaking of that, my daughter is sick now with an upper respiratory infection. My DH took her to the Dr. yesterday, and he thinks she has mono. Dear God, I sure hope not.

Anyways, looking forward to reading more of your posts and hope you visit here often.
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Can't express all my Gratitude

Dear All Here,
                  who wrote, or wished they had energy to write (like me!),

I can never thank you All for sharing your histories, your MS, or quoting things I say all the time:
                  "Why do you think you've lost your social skills?" (then my response) "Well I don't get out much."

Another (so many thanks here!): "I had to leave due to fatigue and cognitive problems."
                  I've been SO embarrassed to say that, because my Mother, MIL, and Daughters, 29, 31, think I don't try hard enough. Arghhh. That's where DHs who know you come in handy!

And thank you for incontinence advice: sadly, about a few (3,4?) months ago, I "graduated" to full time diaper wearing. I had forgotten completely about catheterizing, still haven't gone to Urologist.
                  But!
                  I am here to let all women know the best, most invisible, most non noisy Diapers!

Could be that I slept all day, OR you all have given me such optimism! It feels like there is a great community of friends finally, who understand. You are Blessings, and I am truly wishing you all Blessings!

Hope your son is better (also I Promise to get names straight!), and doesn't have Mono. That got me wondering if getting all my Grandchildren's school and other viruses I have gotten, threw me into SPMS? We never know till past contagious point what we just kissed, hugged and held!

We'd expected to get new colds, etc.; not my Secondary Progressive!! (Of course I do know things happen no matter what most of the time! And I would never trade in my Grandson! Just might see if he'll take me w/ antiviral masks! Halloween all year round!!)

So, THANK YOU. I am here always for you. And Be Well Special New Friends, Eli

Comment

Please don't let that SPMS label define you. There are such varying degees of M.S. that I am suspicious of such titles. Be your great self!
                    Tawanda

Comment

Thank you

Dear Tawanda,
                      Thank you for taking out time to write such a caring note. I'm sorry you had 10 years building up to your dx. Hope they were not all seeing MDs, etc. trying to figure things out. Take care to All, Eli(sheva)
                      P.S. Another asleep day again, oh dear!

Comment

Hello and Welcome Eli!
                        When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Working...
                        X