Minor symptoms, many Qs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minor symptoms, many Qs

I was referred to a neuro by my chiro and am supposed to go Tues, but keep thinking of canceling, or postponing.

I read symptoms of others here and think, wow, I don't have that. Maybe I'm being overdramatic, or am just getting overtired. Or have something else entirely going on (which I think is VERY likely).

My first maybe "symptoms" were about four years ago. I had just finished a trialthon and was in the best shape I've been in, then, one day, couldn't run past three miles. As I was regularly running 10-13 no problem, this surprised me.

But I didn't go numb or tingly and my legs didn't give out. I just was fatigued and couldn't do anymore. I got pretty upset as I've always been an athlete, mind-over manner, person, but stopped and took the day off. Well, the next day I struggled to run a mile. I tried again, but grew frustrated, and I'd been having joint pain anyway, so just quit and found alternate ways to exercise. I went to the dr. and he basically told me people hit plateaus but that my energy should return. I wasn't tired in any other areas, so I didn't worry about it.

Other than that, I'd get weird tight-cramping like sensations in the evening. It was my whole body, and I can't quite describe it, and it probably wasn't even related. I wondered if I had a magnesium deficiency, so I ate a container of almonds. But other than that, didn't worry about it.

Then, I got periods of vertigo. Again, went to the dr. He said I had an inner-ear infection and told me to take motion sickness pills. Well, they didn't seem to help, but I assumed the vertigo was hormonal, so I didn't worry about it.

But then, this year, the vertigo got worse and more frequent, so I saw an ENT and did all the testing. The tests were positive for BPPV but also said, "There are also findings for central nervous system pathology."

In the past year, I've been having headaches of increasing length and intensity. It started at the back of my head and is now often a full-head sensation, most often more pressure than pain, like you feel when you hang upside down too long. I also have a tendency to get dizzy. Well, I call it dizzy, although I'm not sure how to describe it, and the dizziness usually comes during exercise (which normally makes my head pressure increase.)

And in the past maybe two months, my left leg feels like it's numb or has lost circulation. It's almost always numb, although I can still feel it. So I guess that's not really numb? It's more like how it might feel when it loses circulation. I've only gotten a pins and needles sensation once or twice.

And lately, it feels like it wants to go out on me, and I've been getting so sleepy/fatigued. Sometimes for two days at a time, other times for an afternoon, other times I'm raring to go. The other day, while exercising with a friend, I noticed I was also veering to the left. Not sure what that was about, but I'm sure there are lots of reasons. I was getting increasingly dizzy, so that might explain it.

I've had one instance of a stabbing like needle pain where I felt like maybe there was a wasp in my drawers. Checked. Nope. The pain didn't go away and lasted until the next day. Haven't had it again.

I've had weird crawly sensation run down my scalp, almost like the chills, but only once or twice.

My left arm twitches, but I think I can stop it from doing that if I focus on relaxing.

So, to me, it seems like MS is unlikely. I've had my blood work done and am fine in all vitamins except I am a bit low in Vit. D. But I suspect there are numerous vitamins they don't test for or perhaps haven't even discovered yet that could cause all this.

I do have an autoimmune digestive condition and raynauds, so, not sure if that could explain my symptoms.

I've read other people's posts about going to see a neuro only to be laughed out of the office. Since my symptoms seem so small/light, almost inconsequential, I am anticipating the same and figure, hey, why waste my time and money to get that result. The only reason I'm considering following through is because of my headache. More to maybe get meds for it or to see if my current meds could be causing it.

I've also heard migraines can cause goofy stuff, and some people can get migraines without head pain, so I suspect that is a possibility for me as well.

Statistically, it seems MS would be unlikely, and for me to have MS show up so soon after a digestive illness (diagnosed in Oct, although my symptoms started a year and a half earlier.)

I need to make my decision Monday. I probably won't cancel, but am considering post-poning.

I read your post entirely and I think you are foolish to disregard your symptoms. It sounds like you could have problems with your heart or blood circulation. I wouldn't play with my health that way. And, as far as vitamin D is concerned, what does 'vitamin D is a little low' mean? Is your level above 30? 40? 50? 60? or is it 20 something ? Good luck

Comment

I think you should go to your appointment. If you need to explain to the neurologist why your there you can say that you've been having unusual headaches and other symptoms and that a couple of your other doctors thought you should go. Your headaches alone a reason to go to the neurologist.

I've been reading MS and neurology forums for many years and have read a lot of posts by people complaining about how they can't get a diagnosis or how long it took to get diagnosed and the one common theme most of them have is that they wouldn't go to the doctor or they kept canceling or postponing appointments.

Even if your neuro doesn't come up with an answer now you can start to have tests done that can give clues to what to look for next and to rule out certain conditions. Even if the tests looking for MS come up normal you still have other conditions to look for and I think you certainly should look into the headaches.

Since you have the opportunity to see the neurologist now I think you should take it now.

Comment

Sigh. Thanks, MS102. I guess I'm not the only one who likes to avoid drs.

Comment

Thanks for replying, Jerry. I imagine you are right.

Comment

I don't think you need to worry about looking foolish in front of the neuro. You were referred to the office by other doctors. Be honest and let him/her know what you're symptoms are and the neuro can take it from there. You're experiencing unusual symptoms and need to figure out what is going on whether it's MS or not. I hope the visit is worth your time!
            Lori
            Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Oops, forgot to answer your question, Jerry, about the vit. D. I think she said it was just under 30, but I don't remember. She didn't seem too concerned. She said she was going to send me my blood work but never did.

Comment

HI again, Love.

I would start by taking Vit D3, a good 5 thousand is recommended, and 2 thousand is ave for every day folks who live where the sunshine is limited. It is over the counter. So when you see your Neuro, you may have different or less symptoms by then.

Do not be afraid. Not knowing will not make you healthier, will it? Also take B12 overall good vit to take, but esp for neuro type symptoms.

This may only be a deficiency problem and you can treat that efficiently.

We'll be here to walk this journey along side you ok hon?

Hugs again, Jan
                I believe in miracles~!
                2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Welcome! I agree with everyone, please do go

To the neurologist.

I wish all the best to you.

Comment

GO to the doctor.

It can be scary and no fun and it sucks having to deal with any bump in the road but it's better to know than spend your time worrying about it.

I was diagnosed with BPPV in 2007 and had "residual dizziness" for years until my right side went numb, prompting the rounds of tests and MRIs.

I present for MS as "atypical" although I don't think there is a "typical" so I find this amusing.

It could be MS, it could be something else but find out! Many people go through years of testing and symptoms and limbo with no answers. Take advantage of the appt now while you can get it! We'll all be here with you!

Wishing you the best!

Comment

Hi Love3;

Did you keep your appt?

Curious.

My first thought was, if a Chiro is encouraging you to go....well, that seldom happens. Hope your appt. went well.

Results?

Comment

Working...
                      X