Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting to feel isolated.

Hello.
    I was diagnosed a year ago. I'm a nurse, but mainly trained staff on electronic medical records. Prior to my diagnosis my memory was slipping. Once I was diagnosed, after a hospitalization, I was unable to go back to work, because of balance, speed, cognition, and fatigue. I walk with a cane because of balance issues. I have a hard time talking with people face to face. Because I get distracted and confused. But, I'm realizing I need to have some other contact with people who are not my husband or sons. I'm a 38 year old woman with 2 elementary aged boys.

I do think every day was better than yesterday. I have relapsing and remitting. Just looking to connect with someone.

Hi Tallgrrrl

Welcome! Unfortunately I can relate to the difficulty in focusing and have given up reading books. I can rewatch a movie halfway through before I realize I've seen it before

I am very grateful for my continuing ability to take care of myself (and my 4+10 yr old grandkids). Are you on any meds?

Come back often...take care
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Hi Tallgrrrl

Hi there,

Today is my first day here and this is the first chat I have opened... I am totally in the same place as you right now and I am still working and in the presence of other people, however, I feel so isolated that I can not hardly function on some levels...

I keep telling myself that today is a new day and it is going to be much better than yesterday.... and for the most part it is, but I am starting, for the first time to feel some of the effects of having MS... I have been lucky to have a great support system in the past and do not really have that now...

So, what say we chat here and help each other!

R

Comment

Hi Tallgrrl

I'm tall too..6 ft (may be less now). I just wanted to say don't worry and that you are not alone. We all need to find things that interest us and helps us to grow or improve. That's sometimes pretty hard even for people without our challenges.

After my retirement, I tried a few different kinds of work before I found something that suits me. In the Mtime I was busy taking care of myself or making arrangements in anticipation. So I changed mostly small things but some big ones too. Think of somethings to try for yourself. In the process I bet you will meet people with similar interests and your world will expand.

Remember BE BRAVE and try
        [I]Tellnhelen
        Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

Hello and Welcome Tallgrrrl!
          When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

A warm HELLO to you~hope you are doing okay today.

I too am no longer working. It happened suddenly and after a hospitalization it lead to SSDI and no longer working. So went from "wishing" I could only work 4 ten hour days to not working and losing that career.

So now I consider adjusting to MS (and other conditions) as my job! I do volunteer work online. Would like to communicate if and when you'd like to. I am at my computer nearly all day.

My email address is in my profile.

Just know that we, on MS Word, will walk this journey together.. yet respect your privacy.

Wishing you the gift of today!

Warmly, Jan
            I believe in miracles~!
            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

hi and welcome! I will be 38 soon and also have two young children. I do not work and I can't do too much before the fatigue hits and my legs become useless. I feel bad because I can't do the same things with my youngest daughter that I did with my first. I feel like a hermit sometimes. I make a point to go out for dinner with my girl friends to get some me time and get out of the house. Best of luck to you!
              dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

hello and welcome here. I hope you "connect" with us. Many of us deal with those feelings of isolation on different levels.

I also have 2 kids, who were 8 and 2 when I was dx'd. Now the oldest is in college and the other is in jr. high. I had to give up working when I was dx'd and I really miss it. I loved my career choice (I was a teacher), but couldn't continue with my brain fog, dizziness, fatigue, and balance issues. I can't focus like I once could and it's frustrating.

I don't get out much anymore and am so grateful we have the technology to connect with others via the cyber world. It's a long day while everyone is gone and can be a long, boring, lonely evening when they are all busy at home.

Glad you found us and hope you visit often!
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank You, More than I can say, more than you know

Dear Tallgirl and Everyone on this thread,
                  Thank you, Thank you. I understand so well the isolation, and other feelings. So much of my difficulty comes from being so much slower to speak, focus, remember, balance, and not getting out as much. My 1st intro post shows, in my long talking way how my social skills have sort of gone into hiding!! Sorry my thing was so long!

In any case, I felt less alone for a period of time, reading down. I'm here for anyone, my email should be available, I think I remember?! (If anyone wants to talk and I have this open!)
                  Just wishing everyone who ever has any isolation, etc., that it is very short for that day at least

Volunteering is so great, but I always find myself less than dependable w/ my or Hubby's MD or PT, etc. appt.'s or the few times we get to see Grandchildren (6,2,5 mos., boy, then 2 girls )
                  Thank you all for being here, really! Eli (sheva)

Comment

Thanks to you Tallgirl, and All here

Hi, Eli here again, but just to say, I always think I should sound great, look like I'm doing OK, and this thread was a kind and friendly way of relating to some of us who do feel isolated, but have a harder time talking about it.

My social skills feel as if they are hiding! And it is so refreshing to meet people who can relate easily how they feel or function with MS.

Good Health to ALL, Eli (sheva)

Comment

Working...
                    X