Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.5 years + counting!

Hello Everyone,
    I woke up on my 60 birthday in the stroke ward of the cardiac wing of the hospital. The drs. thought I had a stroke - all except for my neurologist. I went to the hospital with numbness up my right arm from my fingertips to behind my right ear. After a lot of tests (MRIs etc) the neuro diagnosed MS.

This was in December and I started Rebif right away. I remember how my hand shook the first time I did an injection and that was with the auto-injector. I now do the injections myself and it is less painful that way as I can control the speed with which the Rebif enters my body.

I know I am "old" to be diagnosed but I think I experienced MS symptoms many years ago that were not diagnosed. I have always been quite healthy and only went to drs. for annual check-ups. Although short comparatively speaking, my MS journey has been a dichotomy with some very positive and very challenging experiences.

The challenging all of us know too well with the flu-like symptoms, terrible fatigue, memory problems and lack of stamina. The positive are meeting some wonderful people and a new found appreciation for life's blessings.

One of the most positive recent developments is my working with a nutritionist and physical therapist. I have changed my diet to be gluten-free and heavy on fresh fruits + vegetables - no red meat and a little fish + organic chicken. I don't eat dairy either (except a little in my morning coffee) which has helped almost eliminate the pain from my Osteoarthritis tremendously.

I have applied for Disability and have a meeting with a SS dr. on Monday. My memory, stamina and concentration are compromised. I am wondering if these are age-related or are truly MS related.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Testing

Hi
    Have you talked to doctor about cognitive testing?

Comment

Welcome annie!! Glad you found your way to MSWorld! There are other members who have been dx at later ages - myself included- but experienced sx many years prior. I understand your question about age-related vs. MS issues. It's sometimes hard to tell!

Hope you make lots of friends here and come back often. You've got a good attitude going and it will help you on this road.

Take care
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

annie,
        You are very welcome here. Glad you found us. You are doing the right thing diet wise. Good for you to recognize that could be helpful to you. Do you follow any particular diet like Swank, McDougall, OMS or whatever? There are a lot to choose from. The term that I have heard used is 'plant forward' or 'plant strong'. Good luck

Comment

Hello and Welcome Annie!
          When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Hi annie!

Welcome! I used to do the "Is this MS, Is this menapause, Is this ?" dance ....I decided it doesn't matter and moved on...
            Welcome and come back often!
            Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

thank you for the warm welcomes!

Thank you everyone! As you well know there is much to be said about the power of numbers and empathy.

Comment

a day's worth of cognitive testing

Originally posted by Dsdickinson View Post
                Hi
                Have you talked to doctor about cognitive testing?
                Yes I have had the testing and spent the day with a neuropsychologist.

Comment

Working...
                X