any ideas for changing jobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any ideas for changing jobs?

Has anyone had success in changing careers as their health started to decline (including cognitive issues?) If so, what career path did you take?

I was dx with CIS two years ago and due to one additional small lesion am now RRMS. Other than the sx that led to my initial diagnosis with were gone within a week, I just have some cog (particularly memory) issues. Four months ago though I was involved in a car accident that resulted in back issues that I've been trying to resolve with PT since. I still have back pain and I regularly have either pain or numbness in one of my legs which is concerning.

Prior to dx and up until about a month ago, I was in a job/career for the past five years that I found to be extremely stressful though it paid well and I was already vested into the state retirement system which is important to me since I just turned 50.

To reduce stress, I changed to another similar career that I was in prior to taking that job. I had left that career five years ago due to the long drive and to the fact that I found the work to be rather boring at times. I decided I'd rather chance being bored than stressed and unhappy. Unfortunately, after starting the position, I discovered that the retirement plan isn't what I expected which makes me a bit nervous, but I love the reduced stress!

At work, I have decided that since I don't have any visible symptoms that I am not going to say anything about my MS. I debated about that, but I just don't see a reason to say anything at this point.

Comment

I've been debating this very issue for a while now, but my issue is that I physically can't do the only job I've ever been trained for. I've landed a couple of interviews in a totally different area, but when they questioned me about why I was getting out of my profession, nothing I said was good enough. I couldn't tell them the truth, and when I made up something that sounded good, I swear the last person didn't believe me and kept asking me the same question over and over again but with different words. I'm still not 100% sure that they won't consider me (just interviewed last week), but I'd say it's a safe bet that it's not happening, and after that interrogation, that's fine with me because I don't want to work for people like that.

It's really tough when you have to change careers. I highly advise you, whatever you do, do not disclose that you have MS. It's hard enough finding a job without having to factor that in. There may be some people who would be okay with the MS, but my guess is you'd run into more that would use it against you and refuse to hire you.
      Diagnosed 1/4/13
      Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

And for others reading this please consider this scenario before you need to make a change thanks to MS.

Within months of being diagnosed I started a career change that has been the only positive thing to have come from MS. I now have a flexible career that pays me really well and most importantly that I love.

Thankfully my health has held up but when it starts to fail there will be different avenues and schedules I can continue until/unless I become cognitively impaired.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Cognitive issues were the main thing that caused me to leave work. I began to get confused concerning steps of tasks I had done with no problem for years. Or I would suddenly start doing something differently than I used to, for no legitimate reason. This caused confusion for others, and delays in getting my work done. Then I began to make errors where I previously did not, and forget verbal instructions, or skip steps.

This stressed me out incredibly. Then there was the fact that everyone I worked with, including people in other departments, began to have to correct my mistakes. When I became aware of that, I realized it was time.

I'm currently in the process of completing my LTD appeal. But at least I'm fortunate in that if I'm ultimately denied, I already qualify for retirement due to years served even though I'm not 65. Retirement is not as much as LTD, but it would reduce the hassle of dealing with the LTD company.

I feel so much better overall not working. I'm able to do little things around the house like wash dishes or do a load of laundry, that I was just too tired to do before.

Comment

why don't you speak with a career counsellor or vocational rehab person?

you can take testing, discuss strengths, likes, restrictions, they can find people in a proposed field for you to talk with.

explore training, working from home, available funding.

whole new lease on life.

no sense trying to mold yourself to do something you can't anymore. How many people get this opportunity?

it's a bit scary but overall very fun, forward looking and a positive experience.

Comment

Working...
            X