Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Sure How to Approach This

Hello everyone!

I am not yet officially diagnosed, but I (finally) had my much-anticipated MRI yesterday that should confirm everything...

That being said, I am a national trainer for an educational software company, and during certain months, I do a lot traveling and onsite presentations. This process is pretty tiring and I'm affraid my symptoms will worsen and therefore will be more noticeable...

My real question is, what is the best way to go about telling my boss about my MS? I would rather bring it to her rather than have her notice me being "off" on her own. I'm just not sure how to approach brining the topic up.

Any advice? Thank you so much for any help or suggestions that you can give

Jessica

Welcome Jessica,

I know you are asking for a way to bring up the subject of you having MS to your boss.

I can't help but give you some (perhaps) unsolicited advice.

Depending on your symptoms and how you are physically affected right now, I would not say a thing to your employer -- my personal feeling.

You aren't officially dx'd yet -- and if your symptoms haven't prevented you from doing your job so far, then it may be a while before they start to interfere.

It's up to you.

I haven't been officially dx'd, but I do have symptoms. So far I've been fortunate and am able to deal with them without them interfering with my job and there is NO way I want to tell my employer - not until it's absolutely necessary.

Now if you're starting to feel fatigued and all the traveling you do stresses you out, aggravates your symptoms, and you feel you need to change that, then yes, you need to talk to your employer.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Bree

Comment

wish I could edit..

what I just posted.

Jessica, I just reread your post.

Sounds as though you have given this a lot of thought and do want to talk to your employer about adjusting your work schedule.

After you get your official dx (if it is MS or something else), then perhaps you could just be upfront.

Assuming you have already thought out what you are willing and able to do. Present this to her and see if there is some compromise that can be achieved.

If you want to continue to be part of the company, then make sure she knows this too.

Hope it goes well,
      Bree

Comment

Why do you want to tell your boss about your MS? What you say to your boss can have serious legal consequences so I think you should be reeeeealy well prepared before you say anything to anybody. The National MS Society has a lot of good information about employment and MS. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/liv...ent/index.aspx

I've been reading about MS for a long time and the most popular opinion is to tell your employer as little as possible about a health condition until your ready to ask for FMLA protection and "reasonable accommodations" to try to keep your job. No matter how nice you think your boss is - business is business. I think its a good idea to remember that "anything you say can and will be used against you".

I think its one thing if your boss notices your a little "off". So maybe you limp a little when your tired. That might not be a big deal. But I think it is a big deal if you tell her you can't do part of your job anymore because her first loyalty is to the company to keep it running smoothly - it isn't to you. If you give your boss a reason to worry about your job performance or tell her you can't do part of your job that's going to mean she has to change things. Bosses don't like to change things unless its going to be cheaper or better. Having to work around an employee who can't do their job anymore isn't cheaper or better.

The easiest thing might just be to find a legal way to replace you. Companies do it all the time. So please be prepared before you say anything to your boss. Good luck!

Comment

I had to disclose because my first and only (so far) flare was swift and merciless. My whole right side went numb and I began having balance issues and a serious foot drop.

So, instead of letting them think I was drinking or drugging (happened to my Dad, he refused to communicate his Parkinson's and they were planning an intervention at GE, LOL) I bought a cane and told them. Luckily, my company is very cool about it.

I have fatigue and pain complaints, mostly. The numb and tingly right side is not my worst problem. My performance is fine, as I work in Accounting and document everything so I always know where I left off on any task. I am still very organized and productive.

Just sooooo tired. I am glad I told them, my physical problems were so visible.
          Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Working...
          X