Ticket to work,possible SPMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ticket to work,possible SPMS?

I just had my 3 year SSDI review a few months ago,but at the same time I was also in the diagnosis process of switching from RRMS to SPMS.

I have been thinking about going to school, and doing something with my life...Other than just doing nothing besides sitting here,and taking care of family...

I got a call from Ticket to work today,and it does sound promising, but will it mess with my benefits from SSDI?

And what happens if I cant do it,and have to review again? will they look at me as not disabled any longer?
    RRMS-2007-2012
    SPMS-2012
    Copaxone Feb,2007- 2008
    currently on Rebif

social security has answers to some of your questions on their website http://www.socialsecurity.gov/work/
    you have some time to work all you can and receive full benefits then they will look at your earnings minus what costs you need to enable you to work -- then are they gainful income -- check out the site and see what they say

Comment

My personal experience with the Ticket to Work Program was suitable for a case study in poorly executed federal programs, IMO.

The program recruits from private sector employment agencies. The compensation the agents and agencies earn is not insignificient.

There's list of 800 numbers for regions of the country to contact employment agencies that participate in the TTW program.

I contact every number on the list and either did not get an answer, reached a Vmail that was too full to accept new messages, or numbers there were out of order.

I worked the list for a couple of weeks, waiting for call backs, etc., before it occured to me how out of date the list probably was, and that a more current list didn't exist.

I did reach 2-3 live people from a list that consisted of 2 dozen or more employment agencies who at one time or another entered into contract with TTW program.

Of the 2-3 live people I was able to contact, 1 agency located in Mississippi had a current TTW contract, and an agent trained to handle TTW applicants in my location, the pacific northwest.

There's lots of documentation you are required to submit. For participants there is a type of performence standard and cash bonus award system as you meet TTW designated time line re-training if required, and verious other benchmarks.

Also, your state Department of Employment and Rehabilitation Services may hold the TTW contract with the Federal Gov., versus private employment agencies. The state of oregon, where I live holds the contract with the feds. When I contact the state agency to compare notes with the private agency in Mississippi, I was told there were ?? thousands of applicants ahead of me in the state system, so of course I chose the private agency.

I got sick with a major relaps and progression in the initial TTW process, so things did not work out for me. I eventually received a letter from the employment agency in Mississippi that they no longer participate in TTW. I thought that was the end of my application process. I was wrong.

After 13yrs on SSDI, never receiving a notice regarding medical review ever, primarily based on my age at dx in my 40's, 2 neuro psych evaluations reflecting cognitive proglems, I have since becoming involved with the TTW program received several notices about medical review.

It was a nightmare for me personally, and a poorly executed and administered program, IMO, that resulted in the worst possible outcome for me, having to 're-certify' disability.

Be sure you are not motivated to return to work by purely financial presure. Have some degree of certinty that you are physically able to meet all the program benchmarks/time lines.

I would never discourage anyone from persuing a desire to work again. I would stress that you be realistic about your limitations, know and understand the consequences if you are unable to complete the TTW program.

Best of luck for a good outcome.

Comment

MSW1963~ That is what I am afraid of...Not being able to do it...But in the same hand...want to do something..I am dependent on my SSDI check...which is not much..So if I do this..then I have to face times where I can not bring any money in...I am thinking this is not what i need to do right now...Thank you so much for your info..it helped me alot!
        RRMS-2007-2012
        SPMS-2012
        Copaxone Feb,2007- 2008
        currently on Rebif

Comment

Alyms79, the TTW cash incentive is very tempting. But with a chronic illness, in addition to just being dx'd SPMS, IMO, your health status has taken a leap in the wrong direction to consider the TTW program. The risk that despite your SPMS dx, someone in the SSDI evaluation process might not consider you 'disabled' any longer is a lot to put at risk.

I understand the 'loss' of not working both financially and emotionally, being a formerly 'high metaboloism-high-energy' working person. I've never completely adjusted to full time disability at some emotional level. I've never stopped just wanting my old life back.

I did inverview on my own before I considered the TTW program. I had some great interviews, also some awfully painfull ones as my voice quivered, hands tremored and wall walked my way through conference rooms and panel type interviews.

I had a couple of offers from the better interviews, but cross country relocations and other barriers, I was not in a possition to accept some of the better offers.

I always regretted passing up those opportunities, but also at some level I knew I wouldn't hold up under the pressure of a relocation, a 90 day probation period on a new job, with a young child and the possible nightmare outcome if things didn't work out seemed too much to take on. My full time MS sx's have also never 'remitted' since my initial dx, I continue with the feeling of being 'unwell'.

Seeking employment without the assistence of the TTW program might be an alternative. SSDI allows you to earn income for a minimum 6 months, possibly up to a year, plus SSDI income continues while you return to work on a trial basis. If you are unable to complete the trial period you do not waive rights to your SSDI benefits.

If you are able to work for an addition number of years, but find you must return to SSDI due to progression of your condition, you are not required to wait the 6 months that you did when you initially applied. I'm thinking of course you would have to have your neuro doc document your progression and return to disabled status.

You should verify that the SSDI return to work trial period guidelines I've outlined have not changed in recent years.

Because of the relapsing and remitting nature of MS, I'm not sure we are the best candidates for TTW, which seems to be an all or nothing based program for people with recovery from injury and/or successfully treatable conditions, IMO.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

I was hoping to hear comments from anyone with good Ticket To Work=TTW program experience.

I don't want my bad experience to influence or discourage anyone else who may be considering TTW, particularly if others successfully returned to work or had good experience with the TTW program.

I'm going to start a thread at the SS topic thread.

Comment

I haven't tried the ticket to work program but I do work from home for a legitimate company.

Comment

Working...
              X