Coming at you from the hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming at you from the hospital

After my bad fall friday night and got stitches, I was reatively ok on saturday...but on sunday when my mom came to wake me up i was unresponsive. I get up every day at about 6 am, so when I was still asleep at 1 pm my parents were glad i was getting so much sleep but figured that was enough. i don't remember much of what happened, but I've been told that I was semi-conscious and couldn't move. They called the firemen to take me to the county hospital (too far away to just call for an ambulance, since it would've taken me to the closest hospital and i only have insurance for the county hospital), i don't remember much of the ride or of getting to the hospital. It was all very confusing. I've been told that I was checked out by several doctors; checked for concussion, for infection, diabetic shock (i don't have diabetes), etc. Finally it was decided that I must just be having a flare. Had a cat scan and waiting my turn for a mri (only 1 in the hospital, so i'm on the list. been waiting since last night). Had iv antibiotics and 1st dose of steroids. Been told i'll get at least 2 doses more, possibly 4. The steriods are amazing. After last night's dose I'm back to my "normal" self.
    Diagnosed December 20, 2011
    Avonex: February 10, 2012 - March 16, 2013
    Tysabri: June 28, 2013 - May 23, 2014
    Betaseron: August 15, 2014 - March 10, 2015
    Aubagio: June 18, 2015 - current

Oh LostCupcakes ~ I am so sorry you landed in the hospital, and how scary! Do you live with your parents? I know you've been having trouble falling in the bathroom lately and I'm hoping that perhaps your mom could help during those nighttime trips. ?? Or perhaps you could get one of those bedside commodes - I'm not sure what they're called.

Anyway, please rest up and take care of yourself. Glad the steroids are helping. Keep us posted and hugs to you!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

oh no - I just got out of the hospital so I understand being in there stinks ...

for my I got 5 doses of the steriods .... the first one was OK and then the last 4 were horrible ... I am just getting to point where I can taste food again.

Good luck on your MRI ... have them give you some ativan or xanax before you go in so you can stay really still ....

Let us know how you are feeling.
      Jan 2012 - Onset of ON
      Feb 2013 - 2nd DX of ON
      March 2013 - 5 days IV steroids
      April 2013 - 5 days IV steroids
      June 5, 2013 - DX of RMMS

Comment

Sorry you are going through so much. I love the steroids! Here is to a quick recovery.

Comment

So, so sorry cupcakes...sure sounds like a concussion to me, even though they ruled that out. But I guess if the steroids are working, it's a good thing someone knows what they're doing.

Being in the hospital is no fun, but there are a few perks - getting to rest without the guilt of feeling like you "should" be doing something, having people take care of you, maybe getting to read a few good books if you're up to it, having your family smuggle in decent food for you, etc...

Hang in there, I'll be thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers!
          Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Hope you are feeling better.

Comment

Sounds like you have going through a very tough patch lately and I hope that improves quickly. As miserable as the hospital can be try to use this time to rest and get your strength back. While you are in your lovely county facility ask to see a social worker to spearhead improving your situation at home so you don't have to keep calling the firemen. That is one of the roles of the sovial worker, either they can help or arrange for you to speak to someone who can. Maybe additional rails, smaller wheelchair or dare I say Depends just at night.

My (ex) MIL (in our eyes we are still family as I am the Mother of her Granddaughters) went through a similar time and in a months time called 911 three times. They live in a very rural area where both fire dept. and EMTs are all volunteer. After my MIL's third call the Chief called on the manager of the community senior housing where MIL lived and explained all the costs (not just monetary) involved in each 911 call, he asked that the manager help her get a better plan worked out and explained if they received any more 911 calls of this nature they ((the Chief of fire and EMT) would need to call State Social Services to intervene and resolve the issue.

I wouldn't want anything like that to happen to you so maybe you can take advantage of the resources available to you while in the hospital and head 'em off at the pass!

Keep us posted, best of luck! - M.
              M.
              A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
              Albert Einstein

Comment

That's awful Cupcakes, thank goodness your parents were checking on you. I hope things improve with the steroids and you're out of the hospital soon. Please keep us updated.
                Jen
                RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Sending healing thoughts your way Lostcupcakes!
                  When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Prayers are coming ...

LostCupcakes,

Sorry to hear that you are in the hospital. Praying that you get the rest and help you need.

Steroids are a fantastic drug in the way it makes you feel like yourself again. But oh the down side of them.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you!
                    STR

Comment

my mri shows new active lesions. i'm to discontinue avonex. this means that i'm been stabbing myself uselessly for 2 years.

Comment

OH NO so sorry for you ... I am not sure exactly was "new active lesions" means but it does not sound good.

How are you doing with the steroid?
                        Jan 2012 - Onset of ON
                        Feb 2013 - 2nd DX of ON
                        March 2013 - 5 days IV steroids
                        April 2013 - 5 days IV steroids
                        June 5, 2013 - DX of RMMS

Comment

cupcakes

Sorry that happened. Wishing you a good and quick recovery. I sent up a prayer for you.
                          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Whoops only been on Avonex for 1 year not 2. And I knew i was going downhill, but couldn't ever get in to see a neurologist to get checked out. i dont like being in the hospital, but at least i finally got an mri to confirm how i feel. i received the 3rd dose of steroids last night, but don't feel any different than the 1st dose did. what does that mean? do i need more doses? or will it not do any good either?

Comment

Originally posted by LostCupcakes View Post
                              my mri shows new active lesions. i'm to discontinue avonex. this means that i'm been stabbing myself uselessly for 2 years.
                              Hi LostCupcakes,

I am sorry to hear you are in the hospital

I am not sure if you understand the purpose of the DMDs. DMDs might slow progression, might decrease relapses/severity of relapses and might decrease lesion load.

There are no guarantees. It is still possible to have relapses, lesions and progression even when using the DMDs.

I have had 5 exacerbations (relapse, attack, flare-up) in the past 28 years. I have never used a DMD. If I had used a DMD it would have been assumed the DMD was not working.
                              Diagnosed 1984
                              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
                              X