went for 7 years without a relapse....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

went for 7 years without a relapse....

and am now in the middle of a moderately bad one. I get lesions in my spinal cord only, never in my brain. Symptoms are mostly sensory - numbness and tingling - until this time. Current flare: numb on left side from lower chest down to foot (that part's"normal"), but recently I have developed an area also on my left side that is tickly, super sensitive and painful to touch that stretches in a band from my back around to my belly. It hurts to wear clothes. I did some research and it sounds like it might be the early stages of shingles, but I have no rash yet. I'm hoping it's NOT shingles! Could this type of pain be an MS symptom? Have any of you gotten shingles during an MS relapse? BTW I have not taken any steroids for this attack, and have been on Copaxone since my Dx in 2005.

If it is circumferential it is probably not shingles. It could be your MS. Parasthesias come in a variety of flavors, this might just be one of yours. I would call your neurologist and ask about it. You may need some IVSM to get through this one.

Hope you feel better.

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I had the same type of hypersensitive area on my stomach, which kept growing in diameter. At the time I hadn't been dx, and the dr I saw didn't really know what it was, said it *might* be "something with my spine" or "pre-shingles"and gave me some prednisone, which cleared it up in a few days. Two years later when I had a big episode of numbness on left side, the ER neurologist thought the hypersensitivity patch was my first MS flare. I hope you are able to get treatment for it, I remember how painful it was.

Comment

With my first big flare I had the same thing. It eventually spread in a ring around my chest. I know how uncomfortable it is...and that is really a nice word for it. Get to your neuro fast so you can get on solumedrol. Good luck!
        Melissa Goerke
        [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

It WAS shingles!

Thank you to all who replied to my original post....I got a rash on Saturday, followed by a shingles Dx. But not before I went ahead and had a 3-day IVSM treatment last weekend, which is not the best thing to have done in the middle of a shingles flare, apparently. So, I'm still tapering off the IVSM with predisone (because I have HORRIBLE withdrawal symptoms after 3 day treatments), and am now on Valtrex and feeling soooo nauseous.

Thanks for listening

Comment

Working...
          X