What should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do?

I've been out of work almost 3 months now. My money is about to run out, and at that time, my parents will be paying everything for me unless I get approved for long term disability (which I still need to get paperwork to my dr for). If I can get approved for LTD, I think the payments should start April 1 (or be backdated to then if they haven't made a decision yet by then). If that happens, then great. I'll be set. It would be my best case scenario, but I think there's a good chance I'll be denied due to pre-existing condition (although I wasn't diagnosed with MS yet and my disability didn't actually start until I had a LTD plan, so I'm hoping it works).

If I don't get approved, then I don't know what to do about money. Living off my parents would kill me when I've worked so hard to get where I am and never relied on them for anything. The problem I have though is I'm an RN. If I could find an RN job I could actually do, I'd be just fine. With my legs though, I can't just do any RN job. I either need to get better and go back to what I did or I need to find an RN job that doesn't involve patient care, which is nearly impossible to do due to my experience. It's also very hard to say if/when I'll even get better. At this point, I don't even know if that's in the cards for me.

I did apply for a couple jobs at insurance companies and was denied for both. One of them (my mom works there so if I talk to the right person, I could probably get my foot in the door) is going to be hiring quite a few people again. She thinks I should apply, but at their starting salary after taxes, I wouldn't even get paid enough to pay all of my monthly expenses, and that's even before putting gas in my car and going to the grocery store.

They do have monthly bonuses after training is over, but again, even with that, it's still not enough in the beginning, although it would get me much closer, and with my degree, I'd have the potential to move up the ladder to where I could make decent money, but that would take a lot of time. For the record, my mom does think if I talk to the right people, I'd for sure get the job the second time around. When I interviewed before, it was with HR and she says if I go to a job fair and interview with an actual hiring manager, I'd be set.

I'm so lost right now. No job outside of nursing would ever pay anywhere near enough money for me, but then I think some income would be better than none. At my age, there's no way I'd ever be approved for SSDI unless my health seriously took a turn for the worst, so I don't think that should even be considered into the equation. Part of me thinks I should wait a little longer to see what will happen with my condition (while also looking for the nursing jobs that I could handle but realistically nobody would hire me for), but then I also think I should just give up on that and take whatever job I can find to get some income.

I keep thinking that waiting a little longer and getting back into my field would be the way to go because I'd make about twice as much money than taking an entry level job elsewhere (that I also can't seem to get hired for, but there are more of them available than nursing jobs) and I could live comfortably again with no financial worries anymore. With MS, there are no guarantees though and what if I'm stuck like this forever? Would I be better off just trying to find any job I can?

I'm hoping I'll get the LTD, which would pay a lot more than any job I could find outside of nursing. I really feel like I should proceed as if I got denied though. Any advice would be a huge help. I'm at such a loss right now, I have no idea what to do.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

If your GLTD claim was filed after the 2nd anniversary of the policy effective date, there is typically no pre-existing condition exclusion under the look back provision.

Typically the Look Back provision is imposed for the first 2 yrs the Group LTD policy is in force, or 2yrs from the policy effective date.

All medical records/history are subject to review during the first 2yr of coverage, for possible exclusion as a pre-existing condition.

A typical Group LTD policy can't impose the pre-existing condition exclusion on your claim once the 2yr LB period is met.

Pre-existing condition exclusions were initially written into insurance policies for those who know they are sick, or should have know they were sick with the intention to defraud the insurance carrier.

Being un'dx for a length of time can put un'dx RR MS'er at a dis-advantage with regard to the LB provision.

Have you considered re-training in a profession that would allow you to use your RN in a more administrative capacity, as a managed care RN, for instance? The salary may not be at the level of pay for patient care, but above entry level pay, I'm guessing.

Comment

If you are still able to work at something I can't imagine you can't find a nursing position that would be doable.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Jules, no offense, but not even the SSA/DI expects a highly skilled, high wage earner who is no longer able to perform strenous work involving hands on patient care, to accept 'any employment', like a minimum wage position as a receptionist or door greeter at WM, to para-phrase the SSA/DI agent I worked with waiting for my SSDI approval.

I don't know what other RN jobs might be available to a nurse who's experience is hands on patient care, early in her RN career. The only alternative I'm familiar with is administrative work like Managed Care/Case Manager RN.

Comment

Working...
        X