Y & R shows MS as a horrible disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
    I am sorry that you have all invested your time in this Y&R discussion. I worked in the tv biz for 20 years and one of the maxims we ( the technical staff and other workers ) understood is that tv's audience is treated like children in 4th grade. So that is my understanding of why the subject of MS is treated like it is on the show. What did you think? Y&R is a documentary program? Good luck
    Well that would certainly explain the brainless reality shows and idiotic stunt style game shows on tv for years now!!

Its fabulous to think they see us as four yr olds gee makes wanna junk cable and turn off the tube! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by deescee View Post
      The reason this depiction of MS riled me enough to start this thread is because of personal experience of another horrific time in my life. In 1996 my son had a bad brain injury. I used my television depictions of people who had the same injury to believe what would be my son's outcome. Well, back then on TV you could be in a coma for a month, come out of it, and be back to work in days. Imagine thinking that for a week and then getting smacked in the head with reality. Thankfully TV is now more sensitive to depicting the reality of a Traumatic Brain Injury.

On last Friday's episode of Y & R Nikki stepped down one step and got dizzy for the second time that evening, thus requiring an ambulance ride and a hospitalization. Yikes!!

All I can say is she better stop wearing her 4" to 5" heels on the show or I'm going to go nuts.
      She got dizzy twice and they rushed to hospital LOL She must have great insurance!! And great docs too most say its ms deal with it honey!

Comment

Y&R

this has been quite an interesting discussion/read..I went off and read the blog of Wheelchair Kamikaze- he's such a good writer...as was The Greek from Detroit, such a sad choice he made that affects so many people. His Icon is of he and his young son.

I thought Nikki of the Y&R portrayed her fear and uncertainty pretty well. I also thought it sad the 'Doctor' didnt put her on meds right away..this is also true of some people here on the boards. I do enjoy the way her family 'rallies' around her with support..
        but dizzy spell..an ambulance ride to the hospital? Not very realistic!
        Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by candycane View Post
          Interesting way to look at it because I was hoping it wouldn't be shown as a "nothing" disease, with her just trotting through life as if nothing is wrong. I don't want to see people portrayed as totally debilitated either, although that is reality for many. I personally don't watch the show, but I know people who do. I'll be interested to hear their opinions! Thanks for sharing yours
          yes candycane. I feel Montell has already done that
          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

To all of you who shared the information about "The Greek" and his blog, thank you so much. I wept when I read his entry, but it was such powerful, honest writing that I'm better for having read it. I just wish with all my heart that his life had been liveable; but I completely understand why he felt and believed that, for him, at this point it was not.

As for soaps--two similar cases come to mind. About 15 years ago, right around the time I was first diagnosed with lupus (I have MS, lupus and Crohn's, so a triple whammy), "One Life to Live" (I believe it was) had a storyline where one of the major characters had lupus. My parents and I howled at some of the boners they made, but we also greatly appreciated the fact that they acknowleged the misery and seriousness of this illness.

Also during the 1990s, General Hospital had the character Monica Quartermaine endure breast cancer; she was even sent to a longterm clinic, where she watched her best friend die. They handled the storyline brilliantly; it showed that some die, some survive, and that it hits everyone differently.

I haven't yet caught the Nikki storyline on Y&R, but I applaud the motivation behind it. I don't think it was entirely because the producers think of MS as the "disease of the month" because some of today's celebrity sufferers have been vocal about the disease lately; I suspect that, perhaps, one of the writers or producers may have a loved one with MS and brought it to the table that an MS storyline would not only be current, but perhaps also do some good.

Yes, I'm sure that we'll be howling at some of the boners--wish I could rush to the hospital everytime I get a dizzy spell; if I did, I'd just spend my life there!--but in the end, it sounds like they're handling the story gracefully and with some nobility. I'm hoping that this does some good and lets people know that for all the MS sufferers who can still run marathons, there are even more of us who can't even hold jobs anymore.

And yes, for years I too have been sick and tired of that bull saying that "MS doesn't have me." If it doesn't, I'd like to know why the hades I can't work or lead an active life anymore??!!??

Comment

Keely...

While I don't know yet if I have MS or not, your post is one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Blessings,
              Minnie

Comment

Thank you, Minnie; what a lovely thing to say. I'm not having a very good week healthwise, and your comment put a much-needed smile on my face!

Hope you can find some answers real soon. Best of luck to you, and God bless!

Comment

Y&R won't be realistic, it will be dramatic- it's a soap opera! That said, I am glad that MS is even on the radar of any TV show. What is it they say... even bad press is good press?

Comment

Keely

It warms my heart that I put a smile on your face

I very much appreciated the objectivity and honesty of your post.

I hope you are having a relaxing day and weekend,

Hugs Minnie

P.S I would love to get diamonds if I get a diagnosis Right now I'm just headed to the Poor House and hanging out in Limbo Land!

Comment

I've had RRMS for 22 years and it definitely is HORRIBLE( on and off) :-) All diseases are horrible as we all strive for a happy healthy disease free life. It's in the name - DIS ease. I've never cared how MS is portrayed on screen as were all so different. If its being portrayed as life changing, equivalent to a bereavement in terms of coming to terms with the loss of your health at 18 when you should not have to deal with that then i'm glad. I am brave, resourceful and determined like the rest of us PWMS but Horrid IS the reality even if you strive to rise above it all the time like I do.

Comment

Talking About It

I don't watch the Young and the Restless or any soap operas for that matter but for me personally I am glad that people are TALKING about it!
                        MS is a crappy incurable, unpredictable disease this much I do know. Whatever way we can educate people about MS is fine with me. The good,the bad,and the ugly.
                        "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" ~ John Lennon

Comment

I for one would love to have my family as caring and concerned as Nikkis is. As for how they portrary her MS that's a hard one for anybody as each of us are different in the way our MS acts. Its hard to take all the varying ways it affects people and show it totally like each one of us experience it I think.
                          I am just glad that they are bringing attention to it so maybe more people will actually learn what it is. Rather all of it is right on or not I appreciate their gesture.

Comment

The title of this thread just really struck me.

Uhhh yeah MS is a freaking horrible disease I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
                            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                            Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                              Uhhh yeah MS is a freaking horrible disease I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
                              MS IS my worst enemy!
                              Tawanda

Comment

Know nothing about the soap, but wanted to pop in to thank RMDC for posting the link to the sadly deceased Wheelchair Kamikaze blog. Much appreciated.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Comment

Working...
                                X