No announcement yet.

Y & R shows MS as a horrible disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Jerry, for your apology. Our guidelines state that we wish MSWorld to be "a safe, informative, useful and fun online community for people living with MS".

Guideline #1 specifically addresses respect for each other. I appreciate your explanation, JerryD, that you did not intend to "slur" others by your statement about "4th grade".

I encourage us to continue to feel free to express a diversity of opinions, so long as we are able to do that respectfully. We're all on the same side.

~ Faith

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
    I apologize to anyone who feels that I have offended them. It was not my intent. My statement about '4th grade' is not meant to be a 'slur' and I apologize if it was taken as such. It is a known fact in television writing that the program needs to appeal and speak to the largest segment in the demographic group that is representative of the program's audience, e.g. the target audience.
    Some programs aim to appeal to a more 'cerebral' demographic. Some aim for a 'teen age' mentality, etc. The whole notion falls into what is known as 'appealing' to the 'Lowest Common Denominator' (LCD).
    This LCD discussion goes way back in TV history.
    It was not my aim to denigrate anyone. I appreciate all of those who seem to understand that I will not 'sugar coat' my comments. I truly want the best for all of us. I want this entire community to experience the cure, soon. I believe it is very near. Good luck to all
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I tape and just saw the one with her Dr. which was kind of soft but it sounded like he was talking about steroids rather than a DMD. I would agree it is important they start her on a DMD medication but that was my choice and I bet others would disagree.

In any event like has been said it is just a TV show but I have to say her reaction is similar to mine was. It is a nasty disease and I'm not going to sugar coat the likely implications.

Hey Jerry, Actually I think this has been an interesting thread and definitely no more a waste of my time than following this soap opera for years has been. Good mindless entertainment and excellent hair/jewelry.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by deescee View Post
        The reason this depiction of MS riled me enough to start this thread is because of personal experience of another horrific time in my life. In 1996 my son had a bad brain injury. I used my television depictions of people who had the same injury to believe what would be my son's outcome. Well, back then on TV you could be in a coma for a month, come out of it, and be back to work in days. Imagine thinking that for a week and then getting smacked in the head with reality. Thankfully TV is now more sensitive to depicting the reality of a Traumatic Brain Injury.
        deescee, it really isn't a good idea to take what you see on TV as reality for health issues. TV is, for the most part, a form of entertainment and not meant for medical advice or medical information.

Take anything you see on TV with a gain of salt and expect nothing to be accurate. Even so called "Reality TV/Shows" are scripted and not 'true' reality.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

All I want to know now is where is my big, fat diamond necklace for getting diagnosed with MS?
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Who is the ms blogger who committed suicide?

Thanks,
            Melissa Goerke
            [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

I SO wasn't going to comment....

Soooooo glad I don't watch Soaps any longer; haven't in decades! LOL! I would assume that a soap opera would over dramatize, in some way, any subject or issue. The whole idea of soaps is drama anyway, right?

Next thing you know, they'll make a "reality show" (which have also become well-known for over-dramatizing, just for the ratings) about people with MS. The thing I think we need to remember about television is that some shows are meant to portray things dramatically (and may not have the best factual information on the subject), and some shows are meant to be informative (i.e. documentaries or special reports from news investigators, etc.). I, too, used to get upset about how they "automatically" jumped to a diagnosis of MS, when I watched "House," years ago. I guess it was one of the things that made me realize that tv shows have entertainment (often drama) as their main objective; regardless of whether an illness is portrayed accurately or not.

Sorry; I wasn't going to even jump into this thread at all. Just can't sleep and decided to put in my two-cents worth!

Comment

I have a feeling Y&R have "given" fictional Nikki MS because Ann Romney and Jack Osbourne have it in reality. Public attention and all that.

They'll never get it "right", but at least they're having a go.

Here in Australia, they skipped the show ahead two years overnight, and I swear it was hard to tell the difference.

I remember them sending a child aged 6 "to the kitchen" or "to boarding school" and them coming back a month later aged 18 and looking like a supermodel.

I don't think we should be looking for too much hard-hitting reality.

Comment

I think the blogger mentioned was "thegreekfromdetroit" or something like that. Very sad.

I also wanted to mention that Clive Burr's passing (drummer for Iron Maiden years ago) has been trending on yahoo the past few days, many times being #1.

Unfortunately, the reality of this disease seems hopeless to me at times (sorry to be a downer)

Comment

I agree with many of the other posters. I have not seen the show, but it is fiction . . . it is not going to be a 100% accurate portrayal, AND MS is unique to each patient.

I'm sure that all of the CSI shows we watch, etc. are not entirely accurate either (and neither are reality shows for that matter). You have to take it as TV entertainment and enjoy it (or not) with a grain of salt.

So far, I haven't found my MS to be miserable. But I know that could change at any minute. I'm sure the show is trying to come up with something in the middle of the road.

Comment

Originally posted by mgoerke View Post
                      Who is the ms blogger who committed suicide?

Thanks,
                      His blogger is called The Greek from Detroit. His blog is still up, including his last post. I won't post a link to his blog because I think it might offend someone, or scare someone, which is not why I brought it up. I just wanted to make the point that it can be a "horrible disease" and that was the case for The Greek.

You can read about him on Wheelchair Kamikaze, his last post was a tribute to The Greek.

http://www.wheelchairkamikaze.com/

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
                        His blogger is called The Greek from Detroit. His blog is still up, including his last post. I won't post a link to his blog because I think it might offend someone, or scare someone, which is not why I brought it up. I just wanted to make the point that it can be a "horrible disease" and that was the case for The Greek.

]
                        I wish it was posted here. Reading it was heartbreaking and yet I felt a sense of relief knowing it was finally over for him. I hope I have the ability and insight to leave with dignity when it is my time also.

This sure illustrates how damaging all those stupid "MS doesn't have me" type slogans are to those truly suffering from its ravages.

Folks, its more like MS doesn't have me...yet.
                        Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                          I wish it was posted here. Reading it was heartbreaking and yet I felt a sense of relief knowing it was finally over for him. I hope I have the ability and insight to leave with dignity when it is my time also.

This sure illustrates how damaging all those stupid "MS doesn't have me" type slogans are to those truly suffering from its ravages.

Folks, its more like MS doesn't have me...yet.
                          Jules, I'm pretty sure the admins wouldn't want it posted here. But anyone that's looking for it can find it, in fact I think Marc links to it in his tribute to George.

I like to say "MS doesn't have you till it does"...or Richard Cohen, when asked how he's doing. has a great line... "Progressive diseases progress." True not for everybody, and surely not as quick as George's took him down. And we're not all enigma's like Marc with his PPMS (Peculiar Paralysis of Marc Stecker.) But I, too was one of those, that was amazed at well I was doing. And I was amazed at how well I was doing until I wasn't doing well.

Well to take a quote from the King and I...Tis a puzzlement!

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                            I think many of those that say "MS doesn't have me" are those that haven't really lived with this disease very long and/or experienced what this disease is capable of doing.

Sadly, that phrase will probably come back to bite many who believe it
                            Diagnosed 1984
                            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                              I think many of those that say "MS doesn't have me" are those that haven't really lived with this disease very long and/or experienced what this disease is capable of doing.

Sadly, that phrase will probably come back to bite many who believe it
                              I haven't heard this slogan used in a long time. Perhaps it's for newbees who are just trying to let the reality of having M.S. "wash over them" without "drowning" in it. I knew that M.S. had me by the tail from day one.
                              Tawanda

Comment

I've followed Y&R from its beginning. I think they've done a pretty good job so far with Nikki's MS diagnosis. As we all know, it affects everyone differently. I remember being very fearful of the disease when I was diagnosed 26 years ago. At the time I knew nothing about MS. I thought I would soon be in a wheelchair, until I learned more about MS. Hopefully the show will spark an interest in people becoming more aware of MS and how it impacts us.

Comment

Working...
                                X