• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How 'bout "MS House: The Reality Show"?

Comment

Originally posted by MSW1963 View Post
      How 'bout "MS House: The Reality Show"?
      LOVE IT!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha
      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I appreciate how they are portraying it so far although I do suspect she won't end up wheelchair bound as many of us will be.

I'm sorry if that isn't what people want to hear but MS is a miserable disease and while I continue moving forward at break neck speed while I can I will never forget what likely lurks around the corner thanks to this chronic, progressive, incurable disease.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          If you have complaints then you probably should direct them to The National MS Society who is in partnership with Y&R

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/new....aspx?nid=7383

MS is a horrible disease.

Anyway you look at it someone will complain.

Either the show will be at fault for making light of the disease, making some feel they are making it seem like a disease that is easy to live with, or making it a "worse case" outcome.

I don't watch soaps, haven't in years.

I believe the show, those involved and the NMSS are all trying to get MS out there as a way for more awareness.

I guess you could shoot the messenger.
          I was starting to pick out pieces of your post that expressed my own thoughts, but realized I needed to quote everything because I could not have said it better!
          Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by kellygrn View Post
            Just remember MS is an individual disease. I have had it for 50 years & am bed/wheelchair bound. Can not speak & have trouble swallowing. Have use of only one arm.

MS is a horrible disease. More so for some than others.

KK
            My M.S. Mom was totally paralyzed and even if she had a keyboard she could not have utilized it. Like you, she could not speak so she could not have even used the voice activated programs. She could still think and feel inside a body that had completely broken down.

Now I have M.S. and worry about having handed down rancid genes to my DD for the rest of my life...

Yes, this is a HORRIBLE disease or at least you must admit the potential for being a HORRIBLE disease and I applaud Y&R for pulling the mask off this hideous disease!
            Tawanda

Comment

NO SOAPS HERE

QUOTE=deescee;1402740]Is anyone a fan of the TV show "Young and the Restless?" One of the main characters was recently diagnosed as having RR MS in the early stages. Such an early stage that the treating doctor says she needs no medications yet. Well, the family members are going on about what a horrible disease for their mother/friend/whatever to have. It makes me sick to see how they are portraying the disease. They are treating her like she's an invalid now.

Geez, I wonder if you can e-mail the writers of the show?[/QUOTE]

The main point of the show should try to get across is that MS is variable. Yes some people start out with a bad case of MS, some people seem untouched.

I'm with the poster who said she would rather see it portrayed as a terrible disease (it is for me) rather than some heroic, beautiful, lively portrayal. If I see people like that I start to feel like a wimp!

It different for every one.

Diane
              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post
                I don't think Jerry is showing disrespect for other people's opinions. He's just expressing his own. He's explaining how TV works and I for one am interested to hear another view point. One person says that MS is being shown as a horrible disease and I say, "Good. It should." MS is a horrible disease!
                Having M.S., and hating that fact, I do understand Jerry's passionate response. It is nice to have somewhere to go where you don't have to constantly censor your hatred of the disease.

Having said that, maybe the "not a documentary" comment did sound a bit like a personal attack more than an attack on the disease itself. Perhaps the O.P. is a bit scared of Y&Rs frank portrayal of the disease and the last thing anyone needs is to be kicked when they're down.

Maybe just a friendly reminder that this is merely a soap opera in search of ratings. After all, there's not too many of them left anymore.
                Tawanda

Comment

dislike

I to dislike them portraying a Dr that recommends no medications. That is not what the research is saying right now.

The case is that there is Drs. out there that do go this route with patients. I see it on the message boards and in chat. "my ms is mild (or caught early) so the dr says I do not need meds."

So, I am glad this sparks a discussion.

I, too, wish to have respect to all on the message boards. Not all of us that come here have the same knowledge as everyone else. Even though I may agree with some of the statements that are posted here, I do not post them.
                  God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Is is a horrible disease. I used to be able to run. Then I could only walk. Then I needed a cane. Now, a walker. Next stop - wheelchair!

Comment

I haven't seen the Y&R in ages. But please remember that a soap opera has been chosen to depict MS and so there is going to be a great dramatic misrepresentation of MS - who knows, maybe she'll wake up in a year from now and the writers of the show will have scripted it so that she dreamed that she had MS.

I would still complain if you are unhappy with the unrealistic depictions though. In fact, if the MS Society is somehow involved then that is the organization that really needs to hear the complaints.

I think a documentary, a fictional movie, or a TV series where it can be depicted with a bit more realism through research would make more sense in terms of respect for those with the disease and in order to properly inform the public.
                      Take care,
                      swingingwillow
                      Limbo lander on hold with a fast busy signal...

Comment

I apologize to anyone who feels that I have offended them. It was not my intent. My statement about '4th grade' is not meant to be a 'slur' and I apologize if it was taken as such. It is a known fact in television writing that the program needs to appeal and speak to the largest segment in the demographic group that is representative of the program's audience, e.g. the target audience.
                        Some programs aim to appeal to a more 'cerebral' demographic. Some aim for a 'teen age' mentality, etc. The whole notion falls into what is known as 'appealing' to the 'Lowest Common Denominator' (LCD).
                        This LCD discussion goes way back in TV history.
                        It was not my aim to denigrate anyone. I appreciate all of those who seem to understand that I will not 'sugar coat' my comments. I truly want the best for all of us. I want this entire community to experience the cure, soon. I believe it is very near. Good luck to all

Comment

My thought on why Y&R has chosen to have the character go the "no meds" route - which DMD would she take?

Since there are IV's, injections, pills, etc -- which one would they choose? It's a lot easier to just say -- not necessary at this time.

That's my thought. I don't watch this particular soap opera but I feel it would have been nice to portray it in a different light.

It'll be interesting to see how the storyline plays out for this character.

Bree

Comment

Maybe She Isn't on a DMD

Because then, unless they made up a fictional drug, it would seem like they were endorsing one over others, which in itself would tick off some people. Just a theory.

Comment

Started the Thread

The reason this depiction of MS riled me enough to start this thread is because of personal experience of another horrific time in my life. In 1996 my son had a bad brain injury. I used my television depictions of people who had the same injury to believe what would be my son's outcome. Well, back then on TV you could be in a coma for a month, come out of it, and be back to work in days. Imagine thinking that for a week and then getting smacked in the head with reality. Thankfully TV is now more sensitive to depicting the reality of a Traumatic Brain Injury.

On last Friday's episode of Y & R Nikki stepped down one step and got dizzy for the second time that evening, thus requiring an ambulance ride and a hospitalization. Yikes!!

All I can say is she better stop wearing her 4" to 5" heels on the show or I'm going to go nuts.

Comment

I don't recall her saying she wasn't going to take a medication. I thought she originally told her kids that she would start taking medication.

The medication angle doesn't exactly sound like a cliff hanging story line so I wouldn't expect them to delve into that too much anyway.

However they decide to write it her experience will accurately mirror someone's with MS since the course is unpredictable so I don't think there is much to dispute with the network.
                                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                                Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                                X