Y & R shows MS as a horrible disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Y & R shows MS as a horrible disease

Is anyone a fan of the TV show "Young and the Restless?" One of the main characters was recently diagnosed as having RR MS in the early stages. Such an early stage that the treating doctor says she needs no medications yet. Well, the family members are going on about what a horrible disease for their mother/friend/whatever to have. It makes me sick to see how they are portraying the disease. They are treating her like she's an invalid now.

Geez, I wonder if you can e-mail the writers of the show?

If you have complaints then you probably should direct them to The National MS Society who is in partnership with Y&R

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/new....aspx?nid=7383

MS is a horrible disease.

Anyway you look at it someone will complain.

Either the show will be at fault for making light of the disease, making some feel they are making it seem like a disease that is easy to live with, or making it a "worse case" outcome.

I don't watch soaps, haven't in years.

I believe the show, those involved and the NMSS are all trying to get MS out there as a way for more awareness.

I guess you could shoot the messenger.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

interesting

Interesting way to look at it because I was hoping it wouldn't be shown as a "nothing" disease, with her just trotting through life as if nothing is wrong. I don't want to see people portrayed as totally debilitated either, although that is reality for many. I personally don't watch the show, but I know people who do. I'll be interested to hear their opinions! Thanks for sharing yours

Comment

I agree....

Yes, I'm a fan. My husband and I laugh at how they're portraying this disease. You'd think they would have at least done research on this....it's a real joke.
        Terri
        "God doesn't give you what you can handle, He helps you handle what you are given."

Comment

I think they picked a hard disease to integrate into the show.

The majority of my family had/have similar reactions. Certain members are ready to send me to a nursing home, even though I still can drive, cook, clean my home, etc... (in heels ) So, it is a depiction that rings true for me, at least.

Comment

A lot of people write in to Message boards - including this one - complaining that their lives and their families are exactly the same way. So it sounds like a pretty real portrayal of what the lives of some people with MS is like.

Comment

Just remember MS is an individual disease. I have had it for 50 years & am bed/wheelchair bound. Can not speak & have trouble swallowing. Have use of only one arm.

MS is a horrible disease. More so for some than others.

KK

Comment

Yes, I am a huge fan of Y&R. Been so for 30 years. My husband and I just look at each other when the doctor talks to her about the MS.

Isn't the point of starting the meds early to slow the progression and he told the character "Nikki" that they caught it early...... SOOOOOOO shouldn't she be on meds? You would think they would portray it more realistic.

There is no doubt, MS IS a horrible disease and I would bet that there isn't one of us who hasn't thought about what our future will be like and worry. I feel like she is being treated like a victim. I know that everyone's MS is different but I really feel like now everyone who watches this show and knows me is going to treat me the same way. Not something I want
                Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
                RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
                Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

Comment

Well they're exercising some "artistic license" I guess. Same thing happened on House where someone would diagnose MS initially with almost any patient. The West Wing did a pretty good job portraying it. Then we have Sharon Osborne's portrayal of the disease of her son.

But the truth is, for some it is horrible. There's an MS blogger, who's only had the disease about 6 years, but took his own life this past week, and wrote about why he was going to do it on his blog. For him, it was a horrible disease, and he just couldn't/wouldn't take it anymore...that was horrible.

Not everybody, even RRMS diagnosed patients, have a "predictable" course.

Biggest mistake I think they're making (I don't watch soaps, but from what I've read on this thread) is they're telling her it's okay not to take meds...that's pretty ridiculous. I didn't think any neuros advocated a "no med" approach to MS, even if it's mild. (maybe I'm wrong about that, but I thought the overwhelming consensus was get on a med, the sooner the better.)

Comment

I am sorry that you have all invested your time in this Y&R discussion. I worked in the tv biz for 20 years and one of the maxims we ( the technical staff and other workers ) understood is that tv's audience is treated like children in 4th grade. So that is my understanding of why the subject of MS is treated like it is on the show. What did you think? Y&R is a documentary program? Good luck

Comment

I never watch soaps, so I have no comment on this show, but I welcome more coverage of MS and how it affects people and family relationships in any media form.

You are welcome to make your comments, Jerry, but please remember to respect others in theirs. Thanks for much for remembering this!
                      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I don't think Jerry is showing disrespect for other people's opinions. He's just expressing his own. He's explaining how TV works and I for one am interested to hear another view point. One person says that MS is being shown as a horrible disease and I say, "Good. It should." MS is a horrible disease!

Comment

I would agree that we can, and should, be able to express our opinions. On this particular thread, opinions about how the Y&R writers are handling the MS issue are welcome.

I felt that JerryD's response seemed more caustic than informative, however, and would echo Seasha's reminder to treat our members with respect.

~ Faith
                          ~ Faith
                          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I liked Jerry's comment. It was said the way we all should talk. I'm tired of everyone filtering what they say so no one's feelings get hurt. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

I didn't feel he was being disrespectful, just how he felt from his life's experiences. I appreciate his opinion.

Honestly, I am having a hard time trusting how most anything is portrayed on TV today. I wouldn't go there to get any true picture on any disease.
                            Brenda
                            Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Oh great (insert sarcasm here), my mother watches Y&R. Hope everyone who watches this can keep reality in perspective!
                              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
                              X