New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New

Hello, While I am in an online class, I am having a hard time enjoying this particular class, so I found myself searching the web. Here I am ..

I was diagnosed in November 2012 with Probable MS. I have had only one Neuro attack where I had about a two week period where my right arm would spasam, and my lower right lip would go numb. I have no residual issues.

My MRI at the time had several lesions, and flares. The Neuroligist told me to take a month and look at the different options of medications. I was leaning on Tysabri, but my blood work came back that I was a carrier of the JC virus, so I elected to not do the Tysabri.

I start a titrated dose this Friday of Avonex.
    My Neurologist has told me that he does not believe that I will have any lasting disabilities from my MS, because after my first attack I returned to normal. He believes that with medication it will be something that causes me minor inconviences in my life. Is this Normal??

I am planning on getting a second opinion, but is anyone else being told that? I have not seen a whole lot of people reporting this.

I am also wondering about carreers. I am a paramedic. I work 24 hours shift, often going on little sleep.. I was already in the process of changing carreers, but I wonder how many others in EMS are challenged with MS

This diagnoses has been really hard on me emotionally. I feel betrayed, I feel lost, I feel alone. I cry a lot about it. It has been a rough few months!

Thanks for reading
    ** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi,
    It is such a difficult diagnosis to wrap your head around. It has been years and I still can hardly believe it although I have to say I am blessed to be able to function without anyone guessing I have MS.

Personally I think your neurologist was either not very well informed about MS or trying to sugar coat things. As far as I know there aren't any reliable predictors of MS outcomes. I guess the good news is that many of us do great for years before having major progression.

I think it is wise to pursue what might be an easier physical job in the future if needed but I would bet there are many EMTs who are able to continue working for quite some time despite MS. I was not a EMT but changed careers to nursing after my diagnosis in search of flexible schedule options, health benefits for part time work and a decent salary. Might be something to think about.

Hey get back to your school work.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

It's nice to meet you, trdemoss, and welcome to MSWorld!

Jules is correct in saying that there are no predictable outcomes for those of us living with MS. Some are hit hard from the beginning, others have a mild outcome and then there are the rest of us somewhere in between.

IMO, it's best to try and educate yourself as much as possible, lead a healthy lifestyle and try to maintain a positive attitude.

Being a paramedic sounds challenging even without MS. But many of us maintain challenging jobs until we can't do them anymore. Having a backup plan is sound advice.

I'm sorry that you are having an emotional rough time right now. It's entirely understandable! Many of us have been there or are with you in that stage right now.

You have us to turn to, so come back often! We also have chat times as well. Here is a link for those times, in case you are interested - http://msworld.org/chatroom_info

Be well!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
      X