Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vocational Rehabilitation and Career Counselling

Hello,

I would very much appreciate any direction or experiences people have had with career counselling and vocational rehabilitation.

I have the wonderful opportunity to use the services of a qualified voc rehab and counsellor. I am middle aged, lots of skills and looking to find work I can do from home in a rural setting. (This is independently funded, and not through an employer or insurance company - so no hidden agendas )

I am familiar with funding and resources to help with setting up a business etc, I just have NO idea what I could do from home - so much of the work from home market presents as scams which is why I sought this service.

There is a limited amount of time available and I want to make good use of it!

Suggestions, thoughts, ideas, warning, advice....? All are most welcome.

Thank you!

From what I've seen, career counseling and vocational rehab are two different things. Vocational rehab is a state government program to get people trained for new employment in the workplace. They don't tell people how to set up at-home businesses or train them for at-home businesses. You would get trained but then have to find a job that would hire you and then let you work at home. If you can't go through a training program and can only work at home I don't know if they can help you but you should always ask. I know someone who couldn't work construction anymore so vocational rehab had him retrained and he became a school teacher. That's really different that being trained to do a business at home.

Career counseling is just aptitude testing and counseling that can be done by anybody. My state used to do that through the state employment agency but with budget cuts I don't think they do that very much anymore if they do it at all. Your state employment agency might be able to match you with employers that would let you work from home. They're paid in part by employers looking for workers so they probably won't help you to set up a business to work for yourself.

Comment

Thank you for your reply, however I am not in the united states.

I am accessing the services of this person to discover what types of work I could do from home given my skill set and limitations due to disability.

There is no comparable publicly available service where I live, so I'm accessing the services of a private counsellor, hence my question.

Comment

Oh, you didn't say that. That's different. Then maybe it all depends on how good your counselor is and what kinds of home businesses are successful where you live?

Comment

Do you have to pay for this service? Are there references of people who have been able to successfully work from home? Do the kinds of jobs they mention seem to make sense?

Speaking only for the US there seems to be an abundance of scams regarding work from home offers. I would want references or proof there is work available and that others have been successful.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Hi Jules, I'm not here that often and missed your reply.

I can work part of a day (morning) then need a rest and can work in the evening again. means no life, but ... *shrug*

I've spent a lot of time looking at work from home. most seem to come about AFTER someone has worked in an office. Then they propose the idea and go with it.

We need to get away from thinking we have to work FOR someone, and can be self employed. I sense that's where the greatest success for working from home is going to be found.

Training, funding, tax breaks, help setting up a business - it's all there for pwd in Canada. Can be hard to find.

Comment

Working...
            X